Should I go for a UPS for power protection?

nitinbose

Hi,

I'm considering a power protection system for my equipment. I'm looking for a 1-1.5KVA range.

My question is: Is UPS safe or will it affect the performance in any way?

I'm considering the APC UPS for 1KVA or a MTEK UPS.

Please let me know if this would be a good idea. The reason I'm considering a UPS is because power fluctuates and this interrupts my movie sessions. I do have a 1KVA stabilizer, but I feel a UPS may be a better choice.

Please advice me.

Thanks,

Nitin.

I face the same problem and in my place and use an APC UPS.

Try this simple test. Plug in your hi-fi system to the UPS, switch on CD player with nothing playing and turn the volume on amp all the way up. listen to any noise coming from speakers. repeat test without UPS and if there is no difference, just go ahead and use the UPS.

Last edited:
Make sure it is a pure sine wave ups ...
Typically how many KVA will a 50w per.ch rms amp + cdp require?

Regards

Couple of people I know who are using super hi-end two channel systems use the APC 5kva UPS. You should be fine with one.:)
Look for atleast a 3kva one.

Hi,

Thanks everyone for all the replies and suggestions.

Could you please advice me on the price?

When i checked the prices of APC, Vector etc., the costs seem higher than an AVR!!!

Thanks,

Nitin.

What will be connected to it? Do you need it for protection i.e. if power supply goes you'll have the time to turn off the equipment or do you need long backup time to play music/finish a movie? Firstly, let us know what equipment you plan to protect/connect to it.

Hi

I am using a digital stabilizer (EVEREST 4 kva which is normally used for 1.5 Ton A/C) to regulate the fluctuation and supply a steady current to the power board where I plug in all my AV components. After that I have added 2 UPS (HCL and Numaric of 600 VA each) one for my Panny 32" LCD and Sony DVD player and one for my PS3 and DTH box which gives sufficient time for me to switch off the system when the power goes off. I am using my Yamaha RX-V 661 and Sansui G-5000 direct since both are much powerful. The whole setup cost me around 6000 only.

Regards

sub

What will be connected to it? Do you need it for protection i.e. if power supply goes you'll have the time to turn off the equipment or do you need long backup time to play music/finish a movie? Firstly, let us know what equipment you plan to protect/connect to it.

Hi,

I'm simply looking for a solution wherein I have the time to get up and power off the system. I do have a digital stabilizer currently which works quite well, just that when the power fails, I sometimes hear loud clicks, which I believe is from the sub-woofer.

thanks,

Hi

I worked for APC for some time

There are 2 type of UPS 1. Sine wave model 2. Square wave models.

All Smart UPS models are pure sine wave output and Backup UPS and Backup UPS Pro are square wave models.

For Audio, Vidio and Digital signals APC suggests sine wave models.Even in IT industry prefers sine wave UPS for their servers.

If it comes to your experience you mentioned that some humming noise is audible from speakers this is because of square wave from UPS. This will damage AVR circuts.

Measure Backup UPS outpout voltage with NON TRMS multimeter it will show output around 160 to 170 V, with TRMS multi meter it will show around 230V.

The other thing you have to take care about UPS grounding. APC using a special circuits for overload ,Surge and spike protections. It is suggested that you need a good grounding/earth connection of APC.in obsence of earthing APC behavious erratically and there is chances of noise from UPS output wave form

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back