Should I upgrade from Marantz SR6014 to Denon X3700H for 28,000?

bansalp

Two weeks ago i bought a brand new Marantz SR6014 from Ireland for 60k. It came with a 30 day return policy. It is currently with my brother in Ireland. He will be coming to India in December.
I have the option to return that and get a brand new Denon X3700H for 88k.
I can also pre-order Denon X-2800H for 80k and i have been assured that it will be delivered much before my brother's travel date but i feel like that would be a downgrade in terms of number of channels and Audessy so i'm not really considering that.

This setup is for my medium sized living room. Usage is roughly 40% tv shows, 40% movies and 20% music.

The AVR will be paired with the following speakers: -
FR, FL - Kef Q350 (I already have these)
Centre - Kef Q650 or Kef Q350 (future plan)
Surrounds - Monitor Audio Radius 45 (next purchase) (I only have approval for small cube-shaped surrounds. Kef T101 were rejected for being too tall. At this time, my options are either this or Cambridge Audio Minx Min12. Open to suggestions for anything better.)
Subwoofer - Not yet sure if i'm getting one. Will probably decide after using without sub for a while and then borrowing a friends sub to feel the difference. For now, the Kef Q350 already has better bass than my shitty samsung soundbar subwoofer that i will be upgrading from.
The plan is to eventually go to 5.x.2 or maybe 5.x.4 over the next year or two.

This is my first AVR. I do not have any 4k/120hz sources. My only source is a 4k fire stick.
My current tv does not support more than 4k/60hz and i have no plans of getting a new tv anytime soon.

I am okay spending the extra money if it is worth the upgrade but that will mean waiting a while to get the surrounds and initially run 2.0. If i do not upgrade the avr, i can get the surrounds at the same time as the avr and start with 4.0.

Does it make sense to upgrade the AVR from SR6014 to X3700H? Are there any other major differences between the two besides HDMI 2.1?

SR6014 is more or less Denon X3600. As far as I know, only HDMI board got a noticeable upgrade and HDR10+ support in X3700. Unless you need the HDMI 2.1, you don’t have to change from SR6014 to X3700. You won’t be gaining much for that 28K.
That could be used for center (definitely go for Q650C).

SR6014 is more or less Denon X3600. As far as I know, only HDMI board got a noticeable upgrade and HDR10+ support in X3700. Unless you need the HDMI 2.1, you don’t have to change from SR6014 to X3700. You won’t be gaining much for that 28K.
Thats pretty much what i was thinking.

That could be used for center (definitely go for Q650C).
Won't a single Q350 (if i can find one) be better than Q650C?

Won't a single Q350 (if i can find one) be better than Q650C?
No experience with Q350, but had used Q250C with Q150’s for some time. I liked Q150, but was not satisfied with Q250c, so upgraded to Q650C. It was noticeably better than 250C. Hence suggested 650C.
Maybe its 2-1/2 way design has advantage too.

Two weeks ago i bought a brand new Marantz SR6014 from Ireland for 60k. It came with a 30 day return policy. It is currently with my brother in Ireland. He will be coming to India in December.
I can also pre-order Denon X-2800H for 80k and i have been assured that it will be delivered much before my brother's travel date but i feel like that would be a downgrade in terms of number of channels and Audessy so i'm not really considering that.

This setup is for my medium sized living room. Usage is roughly 40% tv shows, 40% movies and 20% music.

Surrounds - Monitor Audio Radius 45 (next purchase) (I only have approval for small cube-shaped surrounds. Kef T101 were rejected for being too tall. At this time, my options are either this or Cambridge Audio Minx Min12. Open to suggestions for anything better.)
Subwoofer - Not yet sure if i'm getting one. Will probably decide after using without sub for a while and then borrowing a friends sub to feel the difference. For now, the Kef Q350 already has better bass than my shitty samsung soundbar subwoofer that i will be upgrading from.

This is my first AVR. I do not have any 4k/120hz sources. My only source is a 4k fire stick.
My current tv does not support more than 4k/60hz and i have no plans of getting a new tv anytime soon.

I am okay spending the extra money if it is worth the upgrade but that will mean waiting a while to get the surrounds and initially run 2.0. If i do not upgrade the avr, i can get the surrounds at the same time as the avr and start with 4.0.

Does it make sense to upgrade the AVR from SR6014 to X3700H? Are there any other major differences between the two besides HDMI 2.1?

Unless you are going to need the latest features, no sense in upgrading for now. Settle with the SR6014 and use for a while then sell it when you find something more better later which suits your needs

No experience with Q350, but had used Q250C with Q150’s for some time. I liked Q150, but was not satisfied with Q250c, so upgraded to Q650C. It was noticeably better than 250C. Hence suggested 650C.
Maybe its 2-1/2 way design has advantage too.
Okay. I guess I’ll demo them both before deciding.

Unless you are going to need the latest features, no sense in upgrading for now. Settle with the SR6014 and use for a while then sell it when you find something more better later which suits your needs
I don’t see myself needing hdmi 2.1 anytime soon. I guess I will keep the SR6014.

I don’t see myself needing hdmi 2.1 anytime soon. I guess I will keep the SR6014.
I’ve owned both Denon and Marantz - and ( personally ) prefer the Marantz build quality and sound signature. I’m currently using the SR6013 and SR5012 for two different systems at home. I agree, apart from the single 8K HDMI port on the 3700, I wouldn’t consider it an upgrade ( maybe the opposite ! ). So if you don’t need 8K, the 6014 for sure in my opinion

Unless some extra features ,there will not be any use. Better save that money and invest that in a good subwoofer. You will be happy for sure.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back