Should I use a Pre-Amplifier in my present set-up?

Hi,

I have a Technics SL1200 MK2 with a Shure M97XE Cartridge.From the TT output is directly connected to my Yamaha 496 Stereo Amp.

Cartridge output: 4.0 mV
Amp's phono sensitivity: 2.5 mV

You have substantial margin of 1.5 mV.

I have a feeling there is something else wrong. Cartridge and amp are certainly compatible (I mean there is sufficient gain in the phono stage).

Why don't you re-check your tone arm balance, tracking force, antiskate force, and even vertical tracking angle (the 1200 has a beautiful built in VTA adjuster).

While you're at it, look at the stylus closely and see if it looks normal, without dirt sticking to it. Also look closely at the cantilever (shouldn't be bent).

I will ask a friend if the Yamaha amp needs to be cranked up for turntable. He had this amp many moons ago with a SL 1300.

Hi,

I have a Technics SL1200 MK2 with a Shure M97XE Cartridge.From the TT output is directly connected to my Yamaha 496 Stereo Amp.

Have you connected the to the phono input on the Amp?This is different from the other inputs on the Amp?

I will ask a friend if the Yamaha amp needs to be cranked up for turntable. He had this amp many moons ago with a SL 1300.

I asked my friend. He said he didn't have volume issues with this Yamaha amp. He used mostly Shure M44-7 in those days. But note that the M44-7 has much higher output than M97xE (9.5 mV v/s 4 mV).

Cartridge output: 4.0 mV
Amp's phono sensitivity: 2.5 mV

You have substantial margin of 1.5 mV.

I have a feeling there is something else wrong. Cartridge and amp are certainly compatible (I mean there is sufficient gain in the phono stage).

Why don't you re-check your tone arm balance, tracking force, antiskate force, and even vertical tracking angle (the 1200 has a beautiful built in VTA adjuster).

While you're at it, look at the stylus closely and see if it looks normal, without dirt sticking to it. Also look closely at the cantilever (shouldn't be bent).

We'll I don't think there is any issue with the TT. Infact when the same Shure Cartridge I play with in my other Pioneer TT keeping the same Yamaha setup,the sound is more compared to Technics. When I checked up with few experts I have been told each TT output / gain is different.

Also it's not that I am not satisfied with the present output from my Technics TT,but I just want to increase the gain more keeping the same volume level for which am asking whether a Phono preamp will work or not?

I asked my friend. He said he didn't have volume issues with this Yamaha amp. He used mostly Shure M44-7 in those days. But note that the M44-7 has much higher output than M97xE (9.5 mV v/s 4 mV).

Ok thanks.
But M44-7 I guess is no more available now.

Most of the Phonostages of integrated amps have lower gain.I have experienced same problem with in my Technics SU8022 amp.
A standalone PS with gain of 40db+ should solve this problem.

Regards,
Sachin

Most of the Phonostages of integrated amps have lower gain.I have experienced same problem with in my Technics SU8022 amp.
A standalone PS with gain of 40db+ should solve this problem.

Regards,
Sachin

Thanks.
Which model you suggest of standalone PS?

I am looking for a good product and no compromise on quality. So pls suggest.

I am biased towards DIY,but if you are looking for a branded one and price no concern,go for Ray Samuals Nighthawk.

Regards,
Sachin

Last edited:
Ok thanks.
But M44-7 I guess is no more available now.

M44-7 is available. But why downgrade? You already have 97xE which is much higher up in the Shure product lineup in terms of cost and level of product refinement (IMHO).

M44-7 is available. But why downgrade? You already have 97xE which is much higher up in the Shure product lineup in terms of cost and level of product refinement (IMHO).

Yes you are correct.
But in terms of GAIN M44-7 has a higher gain.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back