Simply put.. Best available hd dth for picture quality

I Agree
The PQ of SD channels on Tata Sky + HD is pathetic.
I watched SD channels on Videocon d2h and they were great.
The PQ was much better then Tata sky + HD.
Can we do something about the PQ of SD channels on Tata sky + HD?

I Agree

Make a new thread strictly regarding their SD quality, get as many people on board, and send them a link to the thread and wait....

Sun Direct HD - Dont even think about it. Shame on them for such irresponsible service. Their HD channels stop and start every 3 seconds - (dont know what to call this phenomenon) everyday everytime from 8:45 PM and it makes me feel my throat stuck with some rusty iron balls stuck in it. Bound to get new sicknesses and illnesses with this. Buying a severe headache with nausea, vomiting and other ugly things happening to brain - SunDirect HD. Hate myself to have got into this nasty phenomenon.

Sun Direct HD - Dont even think about it. Shame on them for such irresponsible service. Their HD channels stop and start every 3 seconds - (dont know what to call this phenomenon) everyday everytime from 8:45 PM and it makes me feel my throat stuck with some rusty iron balls stuck in it. Bound to get new sicknesses and illnesses with this. Buying a severe headache with nausea, vomiting and other ugly things happening to brain - SunDirect HD. Hate myself to have got into this nasty phenomenon.

Thats called genuine and honest feedback :lol: :signthankspin:

Awesome heartfelt review :clapping:

On a more serious note, I got a free Dish TruHD stb with my new Samsung 5 Series. I confess I havent had a chance to compare it with other DTH HD offerings, but the overall PQ is quite good.
True, some so-called HD channels (Cartoon, Pogo etc) seem like upscaled SD channels, but some of the SD channels look really good also. I am still in my free period, so I will review the cost vs. performance factor only when the expiry approaches.

Havent faced any L/R audio issues as mentioned by someone above. Software hasnt hung even once
The only quibble I have so far is that the volume control on the stb is not linear. It responds with alacrity at the bottom and top end of the range, but in the middle of the range there is hardly any response for each notch up or down

I have 5 tata STB's, 2 SD's, 1 TS+, 1 HD, and 1TS HD+, HD+ stb is replaced by company due to pq issues, but no sugnes of improvements. Don't waste your money on ts HD+, tata sky customer care is good, one needs to escalate the matter to get things resolved fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Borg , tatasky's HD stb is good, don't go for Hd+ , it's pq is worst than Non HD (sd) :((

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Borg , tatasky's HD stb is good, don't go for Hd+ , it's pq is worst than Non HD (sd) :(
I agree, composite output of SD channels look better on TS+HD. Basically an upscaling issue I have been pointing to them from day one I got it installed.

Havent faced any L/R audio issues as mentioned by someone above. Software hasnt hung even once
The only quibble I have so far is that the volume control on the stb is not linear. It responds with alacrity at the bottom and top end of the range, but in the middle of the range there is hardly any response for each notch up or down
Hope you are listening other than TV speakers, as Discovery HD, Nat Geo HD, Star Cricket HD are broadcasted with about 4 times more volume on Left channel since Saturday I have got my services resumed. Similarly Movies Now has the same effect in reverse (more volume on Right channel). Right channel in Movies Now distorts almost continuously (more during bass frequency playback) and even Left has mild distortion despite having low volume!

Nat Geo HD's Left channel has started distorting (because of this volume increase).

Also, do you also observe regular corruption of lower half of the picture on HD channels on Asia Sat 5 (newer location like Channels 125, 426, 648 etc).

I Agree
We should campaign against TS SD channels as even sound it pathetic at its best. How do you find SQ on D2H? Did you see on HD DVR or regular D2H SD?

Last edited:
Tata People changed my HD+ stb, changed the LNB to dual one , but no improvement in PQ quality.
Yes its a waste exercise. Problem lies in their upscaling on TS+HD, also the sound quality is worse than Dish HD. So they need work to be done in their head end (uplink) and also on the TS+HD STB.

On the other hand, as highlighted multiple times, Dish HD STB SIGNIFICANTLY improves PQ through HDMI due to excellent upscaling.

DishTV and Tata Sky both use mpeg2 for SD channels. DishTV has allocated about 15% more bandwidth per channel on an average. Check LyngSat - Lyngemark Satellite for exact numbers.

I suspect DishTV has allocated more bandwidth per HD channel as well compared to all other operators, although the data on above website isn't adequate to confirm it.

On the other hand, as highlighted multiple times, Dish HD STB SIGNIFICANTLY improves PQ through HDMI due to excellent upscaling.

DishTV and Tata Sky both use mpeg2 for SD channels. DishTV has allocated about 15% more bandwidth per channel on an average. Check LyngSat - Lyngemark Satellite for exact numbers.

I suspect DishTV has allocated more bandwidth per HD channel as well compared to all other operators, although the data on above website isn't adequate to confirm it.

And relayed DD Direct+ SD channels are of original quality as relayed by DD which TS is recompressing and wasting their TP capacity with more investment towards uplinking facility for those 50 or so channels. Due to this, a lot of DD Direct+ channels are unavailable on TS including DD HD.

BTW, how do you check the bandwidth allocation on the site? I could not figure that out.

BTW, how do you check the bandwidth allocation on the site? I could not figure that out.

It's little involved. We can't get exact numbers only average. There are variations so all channels don't get the same b/w.

Check this page - Dish TV on NSS 6 at 95.0 E - LyngSat The Freq. Tp column shows 11037 H tp INHA2 DVB-S SR 40700 FEC 3/4. This transponder has 40700Kbps b/w allocated to it. It contains 25SD channels and 2 active channels. Each SD channel gets approximately 1600Kbps of average b/w.

Check another transponder 12647 V tp INVC3 DVB-S SR 27500 FEC 5/6. It has 27500Kbps b/w allocated to 5HD and 2 SD channels. That's approximately 4850Kbps of average b/w per HD channel.

This transponder 12729 V tp INVC5 DVB-S SR 27500 FEC /6 has 20 channels so approx 1375Kbps per SD channel.

It's little involved. We can't get exact numbers only average. There are variations so all channels don't get the same b/w.

Check this page - Dish TV on NSS 6 at 95.0 E - LyngSat The Freq. Tp column shows 11037 H tp INHA2 DVB-S SR 40700 FEC 3/4. This transponder has 40700Kbps b/w allocated to it. It contains 25SD channels and 2 active channels. Each SD channel gets approximately 1600Kbps of average b/w.

Check another transponder 12647 V tp INVC3 DVB-S SR 27500 FEC 5/6. It has 27500Kbps b/w allocated to 5HD and 2 SD channels. That's approximately 4850Kbps of average b/w per HD channel.

This transponder 12729 V tp INVC5 DVB-S SR 27500 FEC /6 has 20 channels so approx 1375Kbps per SD channel.
When I first saw that bandwidth after getting my Dish SD box, I also thought so, however after checking about this "Symbol Rate" I feel its something other than the bandwidth allocation. Also, we should consider efficiency loss/improvement between DVBS and DVBS2.

Seems we need to understand the bandwidth allocation better than what we currently feel.

I would appreciate inputs from knowledgeable forum members on this.

Mods: Let me know if we should start a new thread or if we are discussing something redundant here.

:clapping:After sat migration AirtelHD improved a lot
PQ good audio DD5.1
Enjoyed WC in HD wo ad really good
Airtel improving

I am using videocon d2h on my 40 inch Samsung led and it is good compared to airtel and tatasky. Better packages compared to dish tv but in picture quality both are good. Videocon Service is very good and adding channels is very easy

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back