Six channel power amp:

hydrovac

On going 200WPC x 6 power amp:

The modules

1693161959381.jpeg

Tried to fit them in an enclosure i had, but it was a tight squeeze even with only 5 channels max.
1693162739929.jpeg

1693162817162.jpeg

so, ordered couple of bigger cabinets which can accommodate all six channels... received them in flat pack.
1693163010618.jpeg

1693163061112.jpeg

Simple assembly, precise and accurate.
1693163265032.jpeg

1693163312506.jpeg

Measures 17Wx18Wx5.5H inches and weighs a whopping 8 kg.
1693163344273.jpeg

Empty cabinet weighs 8kg! many fully built amps won't weigh this much... what is the estimated weight of finished amp?
all the best on the build.

so, ordered couple of bigger cabinets which can accommodate all six channels... received them in flat pack.

View attachment 79301

Simple assembly, precise and accurate.
View attachment 79302

Measures 17Wx18Wx5.5H inches and weighs a whopping 8 kg.

Really nice casework! Where do you get them from?
Getting nice and clean cases has been a real challenge for me.

will Heat dissipation be good for the inner channels. Or will there be silent exhaust fans too?
There is a provision for twin cooling fans and i plan to install them... not sure they will be silent though.

Consider flipping the whole layout 180 deg. with the heatsinks at the back and the transformers in the front. You will get shorter lengths for small signal wires and heatsinks will be near the fans for better heat wicking.
Seems to be a better and practical alternative Keith, especially with internal wiring being a nightmare... will try to implement.

Really nice casework! Where do you get them from?
Getting nice and clean cases has been a real challenge for me.

Nikhil, the cabinet/enclosure vendors market has grown substantially over the years... the case used is from pro audio range.

Nice build assual by you. Good luck on this project and look forward for your detail review on completion.

Regards
Thanks Srini, this is one big mean amp which demands time and attention to detail... will update.

How about the toroids in front with the amp modules at the back?

Which amp module are these? Any link for reference?

MaSh
Shobit, i am trying to implement an alternative layout based on these guidelines. The modules are from IXA (Indian Xtreme Audio)

The revised layout:
1693334224041.jpeg

Planning to provide covers to limit electromagnetic emissions and to dress transformers... made a model from duplex board as a guide to the sheet metal fabricator.
1693334247204.jpeg

Very nice clean look! That is a fantastic layout.
Look forward to your listening impressions once everything is ready.

Fans will never be silent. Once I tried even reducing the fan speed to bring the noise level down of the fan, but still in a quiet environment you will hear the noise.

If you really want to use fan then make sure you install a thermal switch with a certain set point to on the fan. This way at lower volumes when the heat sinks are cold the fan will not run thus you will not hear the fan noise, At higher volume this noise will not be an issue.

Fans will never be silent. Once I tried even reducing the fan speed to bring the noise level down of the fan, but still in a quiet environment you will hear the noise.
Though this "will never be silent" is true, you can reach near or completely inaudible levels at your listening position if you use the right (relatively expensive) fans. And if you then throttle them down, it will definitely be inaudible unless listening in a totally anechoic listening room.

Though this "will never be silent" is true, you can reach near or completely inaudible levels at your listening position if you use the right (relatively expensive) fans. And if you then throttle them down, it will definitely be inaudible unless listening in a totally anechoic listening room.
true that more expensive fans (Noctua, etc) are silent. Also another way to have lesser sound is to have a larger fan at the bottom or at the top if it can be accomodated practically. For the same airflow larger fans can have lesser RPM. But The height of the cabinet will be a factor to have the larger fans (200mm, 230mm). Also the large fans can be installed outside the cabinet (at the bottom if we use long legs) or at the top (which could spoil the looks).

Last edited:
There is a provision for twin cooling fans and i plan to install them... not sure they will be silent though.

Seems to be a better and practical alternative Keith, especially with internal wiring being a nightmare... will try to implement.

Nikhil, the cabinet/enclosure vendors market has grown substantially over the years... the case used is from pro audio range.

Thanks Srini, this is one big mean amp which demands time and attention to detail... will update.

Shobit, i am trying to implement an alternative layout based on these guidelines. The modules are from IXA (Indian Xtreme Audio)

The revised layout:
View attachment 79350

Planning to provide covers to limit electromagnetic emissions and to dress transformers... made a model from duplex board as a guide to the sheet metal fabricator.
View attachment 79351

1693392104863.png
will this layout be feasible in this encl.
Heat Sinks facing out/touching the frame.
also, In my opinion, the Heat sinks facing the fans could be better option than the component facing the fans.

Final layout... removed the psu section from the board and made a common DC supply for twin three channels...
35 amp bridge and 80000 uf/80vdc filter caps per side... soft start mounted above the capacitor bank...
started hook up wiring.

1704303682606.jpeg

1704303717927.jpeg

1704303730499.jpeg

Superb @hydrovac! professional build... are you powering three channels on each trafo?
Yes, like a dual mono three channel amp with individual power switches...

Plates ready for powder coating... short of 4 nos. phono/RCA sockets.
1705236223752.jpeg

Changed the dual fans to add color and spice it up a bit... (Deepcool PWM fan)
1705236491384.jpeg

1705236567536.jpeg

1705236588629.jpeg

Last edited:
Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back