Size of AV Rack - Is it managebale?

Raghav

I am planning a HT setup in my room. Because of the need for Almirahs and the space to open them, I am left with bare minimum space for AV equipment.

The space I am able to give currently is 2 cabinets of 27" X 19" X 18" (h x w x d). One of the cabinets needs to have all the electronics (Tata Sky+, AVR Denon 2310/marantz 6004, BDP, Media Player, Closed Laptop, Camcorder, Camera, iPod) and the other one the subwoofer (if there is space then also remotes, extra cables, chargers and manuals). Front of the cabinet will be open and all equipment will be kept on a pull out tray, So that it is easy to swap wires, connections. Both the units have a BookShelf Speaker on Top of them at a Height of 30".

Any suggestions and major/minor issues that will come up.

Raghav

I am planning a HT setup in my room. Because of the need for Almirahs and the space to open them, I am left with bare minimum space for AV equipment.

The space I am able to give currently is 2 cabinets of 27" X 19" X 18" (h x w x d). One of the cabinets needs to have all the electronics (Tata Sky+, AVR Denon 2310/marantz 6004, BDP, Media Player, Closed Laptop, Camcorder, Camera, iPod) and the other one the subwoofer (if there is space then also remotes, extra cables, chargers and manuals). Front of the cabinet will be open and all equipment will be kept on a pull out tray, So that it is easy to swap wires, connections. Both the units have a BookShelf Speaker on Top of them at a Height of 30".

Any suggestions and major/minor issues that will come up.

Raghav

I use 24x16 length x breadth racks and it is just about sufficient. 19x18 may be too small.

Regards

how do you manage with just 16" depth. Avr is in itself 15-16 inch deep. Where is the space for cables. Do you keep the equipment a little out of the rack in front?

I use 24x16 length x breadth racks and it is just about sufficient. 19x18 may be too small.

Regards

how do you manage with just 16" depth. Avr is in itself 15-16 inch deep. Where is the space for cables. Do you keep the equipment a little out of the rack in front?

Its an open rack. my amp is 14" depth and the few preamps I've used also about 15". I dont have any oversized equipment so far ...

so the cables can stick out from the rear ..

Regards

Denon 1910 / 2310 are both 17 X 15, giving me 1" on both sides and 3" behind for cables. Marantz 5004 / 6004 is 3/8 inch wider and deeper. Yamaha 1065 is only 17 X 14 3/8. They are mostly the same give or take 1/2 inch.

What about heat generated by the equipment since the unit is closed. Do I need to do anything for that?

What about the other equipment. can any of them be problematic or AVR is the biggest and bulkiest.

Raghav

Its an open rack. my amp is 14" depth and the few preamps I've used also about 15". I dont have any oversized equipment so far ...

so the cables can stick out from the rear ..

Regards

Denon 1910 / 2310 are both 17 X 15, giving me 1" on both sides and 3" behind for cables. Marantz 5004 / 6004 is 3/8 inch wider and deeper. Yamaha 1065 is only 17 X 14 3/8. They are mostly the same give or take 1/2 inch.

What about heat generated by the equipment since the unit is closed. Do I need to do anything for that?

What about the other equipment. can any of them be problematic or AVR is the biggest and bulkiest.

Raghav

Buy a PC smps containing a 120mm fan, another set of 120mm PC silent fans (24db or les noise levels) drill holes in the rear and mount the fans and smps to power them. Some 2-3 inch clearance above the amp/receiver is recommended.

There is a thread on hifivision about this somewhere ... search for it. :)

Cheers

Where do these fans throw the air, since the unit is pushed against the wall. Infact it is a built in unit, thats I am unable to increase the size.

Leaving clearance on top is not a problem since the units are 30" in height.

Buy a PC smps containing a 120mm fan, another set of 120mm PC silent fans (24db or les noise levels) drill holes in the rear and mount the fans and smps to power them. Some 2-3 inch clearance above the amp/receiver is recommended.

There is a thread on hifivision about this somewhere ... search for it. :)

Cheers

There is an exhaust fan by Greenwoods UK that you can use. Also have a look at the range of hot air exhaust fans offered by Cata Spain. Reason I am suggesting these fans are they are quite silent(~30dB), designed to pump out hot air and also offer the option of adding a duct that can be used to route the hot air outside the room.

Forgot to add, it is a bad idea to keep the sub in the cabinet.

Also, please post a pic so we get a better idea of your room and the intended placemet of the AV Rack.

outside the room into my lounge :mad:

There is an exhaust fan by Greenwoods UK that you can use. Also have a look at the range of hot air exhaust fans offered by Cata Spain. Reason I am suggesting these fans are they are quite silent(~30dB), designed to pump out hot air and also offer the option of adding a duct that can be used to route the hot air outside the room.

outside the room into my lounge :mad:

Thats up to you mate. How would I know whats outside your room if you don't tell us:lol:?

The very idea of having a duct is about being able to route it any which way you please.

Thank you Ashok for sharing the picture. You have a splendid listening hall. I have seen similar stand in Viren's place. How the slanting rods in two sides are fixed with the mdf shelves?

In my case, I may require to cover the left side of the rack keeping the balance three sides (front, back and right sides) open. Actually I have a 55 gal aquarium on stand in the centre of the wall. I have to keep my rack at the side of the aquarium. To prevent any chance of splashing of water I may have to cover the left side of the rack facing towards aquarium. Of course, during the routine water change (twice in a week) I have to cover the total rack with polythene sheet as a preventive measure. Too much disciplne required.

Ashok, one thing - can you please specify the legs of your rack. As in the picture, I have seen that the rack is placed on the floor, not on any carpet. So does it require any spike?

Thank you Ashok for sharing the picture. You have a splendid listening hall.

thank you for your kind words.

I have seen similar stand in Viren's place. How the slanting rods in two sides are fixed with the mdf shelves?

special screws. virenji would be able to elaborate, i'm sure. btw, this is not MDF. should be sandwich plyboard, with beading.

In my case, I may require to cover the left side of the rack keeping the balance three sides (front, back and right sides) open.

this may not be possible as the back plane bears all the weight, and as you can see, the weight of my setup us something!

Actually I have a 55 gal aquarium on stand in the centre of the wall. I have to keep my rack at the side of the aquarium. To prevent any chance of splashing of water I may have to cover the left side of the rack facing towards aquarium. Of course, during the routine water change (twice in a week) I have to cover the total rack with polythene sheet as a preventive measure. Too much disciplne required.

best would be to check with virenji. however, given the design, i'm not too certain any changes are practical.

Ashok, one thing - can you please specify the legs of your rack. As in the picture, I have seen that the rack is placed on the floor, not on any carpet. So does it require any spike?

the rack lies directly on the floor. i use vibrapod isolators and cones for the sources for vibration isolation. the speakers are on spikes.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back