Size vs Picture Quality: Need some advice

patel892

Hello All.

I just purchased a new home and now have a decision to make. I am looking for a new TV and I wanted to get your much valued input as I am really stuck after having narrowed down the decision to 2 particular TVs. (I am open to suggestions for other TVs). I have included a description of the TVs below along with the arrangement of my home. imgur: the simple image sharer (In the image the green is where the TV goes and the red is where the couches are). The TV is being mounted above a fireplace (green in the picture). The area available on this wall is 66 inches x 56 inches. The distance from the TV to the couch (red in the picture) is approximately 15 feet, and to the kitchen is 25-30 feet. the kitchen is behind the couch.

The TVs I am looking at are:

Sony KDL-55W900A 55-Inch 240Hz 1080p Micro Dimming - [$1,705.82]

Samsung UN65F6400 65-Inch 120Hz 1080p Micro Dimming - [$1,897.99]

From my research I have learned that the Sony has a very good picture quality while the Samsung has the size advantage here in my price range.

I mostly watch sports and movies and would like to also know if this will make a difference.

Any help or advice you guys can give me is much appreciated.

Thanks! :)

Hi

Window shopping is the best option to decide which TV will suit your needs...you need to first focus on your requirements...decide on screen size, then see if all possible connectivity options (analog, digital, HDMI, composite, PC input etc) are available on the TV, next is sound...the TV should have a good sound output (adjustable through Bass or Treble or built in EQ). A soundbar built in in front would help. Lastly but most important is the display...view the screen from all angels..watch the same channel...NatGEO or Discovery will give you good greens / blues / natural scenes to help to decide....thumb rule as per internet reviews....suggested shelf life of LED TVs are 3-5 years...Plasmas last a bit longer...you may want to check on good warranty options before any purchase....

As for me, I did a lot of window shopping for a good 2 months and reading various reviews...the Toshiba PU series fits my requirement which is cost effective, true value for money backed by 3 year warranty....

At the end of the day..it is what appeals to you and your budget...hope this helps!

The TV is being mounted above a fireplace

Presuming that you would use the fireplace,- maybe you should reconsider mounting the TV there!

Check /compare the picture quality before you decide - size would really matter - or in your case an advantage, especially as you want to mainly watch sports/ movies.

Hello All.

I just purchased a new home and now have a decision to make. I am looking for a new TV and I wanted to get your much valued input as I am really stuck after having narrowed down the decision to 2 particular TVs. (I am open to suggestions for other TVs). I have included a description of the TVs below along with the arrangement of my home. imgur: the simple image sharer (In the image the green is where the TV goes and the red is where the couches are). The TV is being mounted above a fireplace (green in the picture). The area available on this wall is 66 inches x 56 inches. The distance from the TV to the couch (red in the picture) is approximately 15 feet, and to the kitchen is 25-30 feet. the kitchen is behind the couch.

The TVs I am looking at are:

Sony KDL-55W900A 55-Inch 240Hz 1080p Micro Dimming - [$1,705.82]

Samsung UN65F6400 65-Inch 120Hz 1080p Micro Dimming - [$1,897.99]

From my research I have learned that the Sony has a very good picture quality while the Samsung has the size advantage here in my price range.

I mostly watch sports and movies and would like to also know if this will make a difference.

Any help or advice you guys can give me is much appreciated.

Thanks! :)
Your viewing distance is minimum 15 feet. To truly appreciate the HD pictures at this distance you will need at least 65 " TV size. The smaller screen 55" might be having good resolution , contrast etc but will it evident at 15 feet?Why don't you check it out in the shop keeping the viewing distance same as your home.

Presuming that you would use the fireplace,- maybe you should reconsider mounting the TV there!

Check /compare the picture quality before you decide - size would really matter - or in your case an advantage, especially as you want to mainly watch sports/ movies.

This was also a concern for me but after talking to the builder he assured me that it is 100% safe to mount above the fireplace because of the way it is being vented. I do agree that size will matter for sports, thanks!

Hi

Window shopping is the best option to decide which TV will suit your needs...you need to first focus on your requirements...decide on screen size, then see if all possible connectivity options (analog, digital, HDMI, composite, PC input etc) are available on the TV, next is sound...the TV should have a good sound output (adjustable through Bass or Treble or built in EQ). A soundbar built in in front would help. Lastly but most important is the display...view the screen from all angels..watch the same channel...NatGEO or Discovery will give you good greens / blues / natural scenes to help to decide....thumb rule as per internet reviews....suggested shelf life of LED TVs are 3-5 years...Plasmas last a bit longer...you may want to check on good warranty options before any purchase....

As for me, I did a lot of window shopping for a good 2 months and reading various reviews...the Toshiba PU series fits my requirement which is cost effective, true value for money backed by 3 year warranty....

At the end of the day..it is what appeals to you and your budget...hope this helps!

I have been to a local electronics shop and found them to be both good TVs. The Sony was a bit dimmer but the colors had more pop to them. The Samsung was stunning and really drew me in, I did love the smart tv interface. I plan on buying a sound bar to go with the TV. Thanks for your suggestions.

Thanks, will do.

Last edited:
At the price levels that you are talking about, there is going to be very little "Objective" difference in picture quality between the two. Please do keep in mind that in the display they are mostly on "Display" mode which means extra sharp colors and brightness, so you cannot really make a decision based on shop displays. In HDTV's size would definitely be the number 1 criteria as it is measured diagonally so the 65 " display is going to be significantly bigger than 55. Both samsung and sony are good brands and for all you know may be sourcing half their components from each other.

At the price levels that you are talking about, there is going to be very little "Objective" difference in picture quality between the two. Please do keep in mind that in the display they are mostly on "Display" mode which means extra sharp colors and brightness, so you cannot really make a decision based on shop displays. In HDTV's size would definitely be the number 1 criteria as it is measured diagonally so the 65 " display is going to be significantly bigger than 55. Both samsung and sony are good brands and for all you know may be sourcing half their components from each other.

I went to the store last night and noticed that the Sony black levels were really good but I think I can't pass on the 65" Samsung size, I am going with the UN65f6400 thanks for all the help.

Wise decision i think, i moved up to a 50 inch from a 32 then a 42 inch TV in less than a month a couple of years ago, so from experience i can say size does matter in HDTV's.

I would go for big size anyday.. for showoff purpose big screen must... girls generally look at tv size .. rather than quality of picture.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back