SMSL AD18 amp review (user experience)

Hi Everybody, Would like your inputs here with my concern. My AD18 display screen was burnt in a fire along with the banana female sockets at the rear. (Pics attached below).

Would like to change the display and banana sockets, i know that it has a 1.44" TFT screen and there a a few displays sold online with same config. But I'm not sure which screen would fit and work fine.
Veterans/ electronic techies please help as any input is appreciated.
1. What type of display would work with the Ad18 amp ? Is there any place in particular where i could get this ( i live in Bangalore )
2. Will the 2inch banana female sockets be fine to get them replaced.
3. Need to change the power socket as it's melted too.
4. What is the name /type of the potentiometer that's used in this amp as i think it needs to be changed too ? Or is it called a DIGITAL/STEPPED ATTENUATOR that is used here ? Not sure what this type of pot is called.

Also Would you be kind enough to suggest a repair guy in Bangalore who could look into this and have it fixed for me, coz I just don't want to waste 11k as everything else looked fine when I had opened it up to check the internal board and it should hopefully work once it's repaired.

Request you to share any amount of detail that you might have regarding the above mentioned issues( even a teenie weenie bit of info would be highly appreciated).

Attachments

• 16659560817216526110052605989705.jpg
    16659560817216526110052605989705.jpg
    1,022.2 KB · Views: 21
  • 16659561704862154446635334090929.jpg
    16659561704862154446635334090929.jpg
    846.2 KB · Views: 21
  • 16659562227077819292082719842785.jpg
    16659562227077819292082719842785.jpg
    1,012.8 KB · Views: 21
Hi Everybody, Would like your inputs here with my concern. My AD18 display screen was burnt in a fire along with the banana female sockets at the rear. (Pics attached below).

Would like to change the display and banana sockets, i know that it has a 1.44" TFT screen and there a a few displays sold online with same config. But I'm not sure which screen would fit and work fine.
Veterans/ electronic techies please help as any input is appreciated.
1. What type of display would work with the Ad18 amp ? Is there any place in particular where i could get this ( i live in Bangalore )
2. Will the 2inch banana female sockets be fine to get them replaced.
3. Need to change the power socket as it's melted too.
4. What is the name /type of the potentiometer that's used in this amp as i think it needs to be changed too ? Or is it called a DIGITAL/STEPPED ATTENUATOR that is used here ? Not sure what this type of pot is called.

Also Would you be kind enough to suggest a repair guy in Bangalore who could look into this and have it fixed for me, coz I just don't want to waste 11k as everything else looked fine when I had opened it up to check the internal board and it should hopefully work once it's repaired.

Request you to share any amount of detail that you might have regarding the above mentioned issues( even a teenie weenie bit of info would be highly appreciated).
I'm presuming that the fire was external. Is your unit working after this fire? If yes, you need to open the unit and examine the banana sockes, potentiometer, etc. Only after that you should attemp fixing the unit.

I'm presuming that the fire was external. Is your unit working after this fire? If yes, you need to open the unit and examine the banana sockes, potentiometer, etc. Only after that you should attemp fixing the unit.
Dear Brother,
Thanks a million for taking time out and for your kind suggestion.
1. Yes the fire was external and the power brick was burnt too while the pin was still plugged in to the power socket and got melted. So i forced it out while some plastic is still left behind in the socket. So i haven't been able to power it on since.
2. I did remove the back part and found that the banana female sockets have to be changed as they have melted. While doing this i will have to even change the DC socket and get a new one soldered.

Need your guidance here :
1. I have another power brick of 24vdc3a from another amp, after i have changed the power socket can I use this to power the SMSL AD18 without any power fluctuations ?
2. Also I have noticed that the potentiometer is turning well but im no longer able to push it in like it used to before.( Would you know what such kind of potentiometer is called ?) If ur familiar with this amp the volume knob served 2 functions, one was to increase decrease volume and also it allowed us to select different menu options when pressed. I have been asking so many people with zero help, coz if I know what it's called then I can atleast order one from somewhere .
Will wait for your advice and first change the power socket to see if it actually still turns on. Maybe later i could think about other repairs.

Dear Sir, Evening update- Thanks a million for guiding me ,it gave me courage and inspiration to go ahead and follow ur instruction. I changed the power socket and used the 24v adapter and BOOM..... the amp came to life, the display turned on but since it was burnt nothing was visible except the halo around screen ,however I could not move further as there was no way to insert the banana plugs and try playing something as they need to be changed.
Will follow ur advice and change the banana plugs next along with hunting for the same kind of potentiometer.
Have spoken to Kelly from SMSL who agreed to send me a new display for it since she said that it was custom made.
Will keep you posted as i move ahead with repairs. Have a great evening.

Dear Sir, Evening update- Thanks a million for guiding me ,it gave me courage and inspiration to go ahead and follow ur instruction. I changed the power socket and used the 24v adapter and BOOM..... the amp came to life, the display turned on but since it was burnt nothing was visible except the halo around screen ,however I could not move further as there was no way to insert the banana plugs and try playing something as they need to be changed.
Will follow ur advice and change the banana plugs next along with hunting for the same kind of potentiometer.
Have spoken to Kelly from SMSL who agreed to send me a new display for it since she said that it was custom made.
Will keep you posted as i move ahead with repairs. Have a great evening.
The potentiometer is probably push-push switch potentiometer. The display was the most difficult part to get but you are getting it from SMSL.
I think rest of the items you should be able to get. Just open the unit, remove the pcb and post the photo here.

Last edited:
The potentiometer is probably push-push switch potentiometer. The display was the most difficult part to get but you are getting it from SMSL.
I think rest of the items you should be able to get

Thanks a million for your inputs, it really makes a difference and i will start hunting for that type of potentiometer in Bangalore and online. I'm sure you must be laughing at me for trying to repair this amp instead of just buying a new one ( as suggested by others ). But it's just that 11k is not a joke for me and even that feeling of restoring something that was dead is kind of joyous in its own little way.Thankyou for making my day.
Cheers sir.

Thanks a million for your inputs, it really makes a difference and i will start hunting for that type of potentiometer in Bangalore and online. I'm sure you must be laughing at me for trying to repair this amp instead of just buying a new one ( as suggested by others ). But it's just that 11k is not a joke for me and even that feeling of restoring something that was dead is kind of joyous in its own little way.Thankyou for making my day.
Cheers sir.
I would have done the same. It is criminal to throw away things if they can be repaired. We are needlessly manufacturing tons of things by destroying nature. Every bit helps.

I have a SMSL Q5 pro, the volume control seems to be a rotary encoder, not a typical resistive potentiometer that you get in electronic shops. It could be something like this, I am making a wild guess here, could be very wrong about this.

Sir,

Are you open to taking up paid repairs ?
I don't think I will ever have the time to do repairs. Most of my time goes in coding. But I'm open to helping out FMs at Pune troubleshooting what is wrong at no cost. If any part needs replacement, they buy the damaged parts themselves and I can help them with fitting the replaced part at no cost. Running around trying to obtain the parts takes too much time which I don't have at the moment.

I have been thinking to ask him the same question.

He's on my radar ever since I stumbled upon his Yamaha avr fixing thread. I appreciate his meticulous way of describing the solutions to problems. And the man follows up the progress. That's rare.

I have learnt a lot from his contributions to HFV.

Many here can benefit from you, sir. Please do consider.

I don't think I will ever have the time to do repairs. Most of my time goes in coding. But I'm open to helping out FMs at Pune troubleshooting what is wrong at no cost. If any part needs replacement, they buy the damaged parts themselves and I can help them with fitting the replaced part at no cost. Running around trying to obtain the parts takes too much time which I don't have at the moment.
I totally understand. Your taking the time to help members is a huge contribution in itself.

Extremely nice of you to extend a helping hand to Pune FM's

I have a SMSL Q5 pro, the volume control seems to be a rotary encoder, not a typical resistive potentiometer that you get in electronic shops. It could be something like this, I am making a wild guess here, could be very wrong about this.
No brother, you are right. It is a ROTARY ENCODER . FM mbhangui pointed me in the right direction and i was able to dig this up.Thanks for your time .

I think rest of the items you should be able to get. Just open the unit, remove the pcb and post the photo here.

[QUOTE="mbhangui, post: 1017702, m...7.9962j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8 [/QUOTE]

Evening Sir... Hope you are doing well ? Opened the amp as suggested ,removed the melted banana socs and power socket. Pulled the display apart and volume knob.Link posted by you gave me direct access to the Rotary encoder too. Completely agree with you about living ina world of excesses where one lives in extreme abundance while it's the exact opposite elsewhere. I noticed this in the overseas forums where the easiest solution to a problem is in replacing the old with the new and the reason stated was " if you value your time - then just get a new amp"( However i do agree that they value their time a lot and that's good) Yet i feel that it's not the only way moving ahead.
Whereas on the other end of the spectrum we have noble souls like you who inspite of being packed with work and family take time out to help folks out there without expectations.
The Pune FM's are really fortunate to have you around.Love the giving attitude.

Attachments

• IMG-20221019-WA0018.jpg
    IMG-20221019-WA0018.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG-20221019-WA0017.jpg
    IMG-20221019-WA0017.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG-20221019-WA0016.jpg
    IMG-20221019-WA0016.jpg
    261.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG-20221019-WA0014.jpg
    IMG-20221019-WA0014.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG-20221019-WA0013.jpg
    IMG-20221019-WA0013.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG-20221019-WA0012.jpg
    IMG-20221019-WA0012.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 7
The pcb looks intact. Remove the nut so that you can remove the potentiometer. see the below picture. Post the photo of the potentiometer

Untitled.jpg

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back