Smsl d300

@ajuvignesh Sometimes volume is set to 0 for the device. If you login using terminal, you can type the command alsamixer. After that you will get a screen as below. Press F6 to select the sound card and see if the volume is at 100%.You can use the up and down arrrow key to select the volume. Pressing ESC key comes out of alsamixer
Untitled.jpg

@ajuvignesh Sometimes volume is set to 0 for the device. If you login using terminal, you can type the command alsamixer. After that you will get a screen as below. Press F6 to select the sound card and see if the volume is at 100%.You can use the up and down arrrow key to select the volume. Pressing ESC key comes out of alsamixer
View attachment 73476
Thanks a lot, bro. It works when the display of SMSL shows PCM. but intermittently the DAC shows DSD and the audio stops. have to restart the DAC to start playing.
I will take your advice and check if the sound output is zero on the alsamixer.

Thanks a lot, bro. It works when the display of SMSL shows PCM. but intermittently the DAC shows DSD and the audio stops. have to restart the DAC to start playing.
oh ok. That does look like a problem with the DAC.

Your device is card 2. The dac is very much recognized
The hardware name of the device is

hw:AUDIO

This is ALSA device name. This is what will be required by any software that needs to send audio directly to this DAC without any software conversion by the OS. In short if you want to achieve bit perfect you will have to use this device name.

So from the above it can be seen that there no issue with the hardware or the OS.
To play music all that is required is to configure the software to send audio to card 2 instead of card 0 or card 1.

1. If you are never going to use the onboard DAC (headphone or HDMI) there is a way to disable it.
2. Or one can configure card 2 to be the first device so that most music software which generally choose the first card will happily play music without much configuration.

It all depends on what you want

EDIT: I just realized that you are using moode. I believe there is a setting screen where you can select the playback device, etc.
I believe @premoddev is very familiar with moode settings. So we can ask him which screen to select, etc
Thanks @mbhangui for tagging me here..

@ajuvignesh since you are using USB DAC with pi (Moode), you need to do some setting on the output audio device setting on Moode. But I haven't seen you have mentioned in any post.. Please follow the below steps..

a) Menu, Configure, Audio
b) Select "None" for I2S audio device then SET
c) Reboot
d) Menu, Configure, Audio
e) Under Output Device, select your USB DAC then SET

Also, once you logged into Moode cli through SSH, you can run the below command to see whether the device is detected or not..

pi@moode:~ $ dmesg |grep -i audio |grep USB
[ 2.562217] hid-generic 0003:0D8C:0158.0001: input,hidraw0: USB HID v1.11 Device [C-Media Electronics Inc. Hifi Audio] on usb-0000:01:00.0-1.3/input255

In my system, it shows my USB DAC as above, yours should show something different.

Also, you can run aplay -l , it should show something similar as below.

pi@moode:~ $ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: b1 [bcm2835 HDMI 1], device 0: bcm2835 HDMI 1 [bcm2835 HDMI 1]
Subdevices: 4/4
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
Subdevice #2: subdevice #2
Subdevice #3: subdevice #3
card 1: Headphones [bcm2835 Headphones], device 0: bcm2835 Headphones [bcm2835 Headphones]
card 2: Audio [Hifi Audio], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
Subdevices: 0/1

My moode audio settings screen looks as below.

1670128648579.png

Thanks @mbhangui for tagging me here..

@ajuvignesh since you are using USB DAC with pi (Moode), you need to do some setting on the output audio device setting on Moode. But I haven't seen you have mentioned in any post.. Please follow the below steps..

a) Menu, Configure, Audio
b) Select "None" for I2S audio device then SET
c) Reboot
d) Menu, Configure, Audio
e) Under Output Device, select your USB DAC then SET

Also, once you logged into Moode cli through SSH, you can run the below command to see whether the device is detected or not..

pi@moode:~ $ dmesg |grep -i audio |grep USB
[ 2.562217] hid-generic 0003:0D8C:0158.0001: input,hidraw0: USB HID v1.11 Device [C-Media Electronics Inc. Hifi Audio] on usb-0000:01:00.0-1.3/input255

In my system, it shows my USB DAC as above, yours should show something different.

Also, you can run aplay -l , it should show something similar as below.

pi@moode:~ $ aplay -l
card 1: Headphones [bcm2835 Headphones], device 0: bcm2835 Headphones [bcm2835 Headphones]
card 2: Audio [Hifi Audio], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
Subdevices: 0/1

My moode audio settings screen looks as below.

View attachment 73477
Thank you so much @premoddev.

I have already configured just like you said.
I will try the other codes and revert back.

Strangely, I ran it for more than 1 hour and the issue didn’t crop up yet. Totally confused.
Edit: So, it happened.
The display of SMSL was showing DSD the whole time
@premoddev 'pi@moode:~ $ dmesg |grep -i audio |grep USB'
This returned no result.

But

pi@moode:~ $ dmesg |grep -i audio did return something as below

"pi@moode:~ $ dmesg |grep -i audio

[ 5.067504] bcm2835_audio bcm2835_audio: card created with 4 channels

[ 5.134450] bcm2835_audio bcm2835_audio: card created with 4 channels"

and aplay -l this returned something like below.

Screenshot 2022-12-05 at 10.32.59 AM.png

@mbhangui

I got this

Screenshot 2022-12-05 at 10.40.06 AM.png

Last edited:
I guess you were fine working an hour without any issues and then suddenly it started?

The commands you ran after the system stopped working? It's not showing the desired devices!!

Looks like your device is malfunctioning and need a service/replacement.

I still like to see the commands output when your system actually works... and then need to check the logs (/var/log/syslog) immediately after it start showing issues..

I guess you were fine working an hour without any issues and then suddenly it started?

The commands you ran after the system stopped working? It's not showing the desired devices!!

Looks like your device is malfunctioning and need a service/replacement.
yes. I was using my computer and It was working. Suddenly it got disconnected and went into DSD mode. I wasn't playing any DSD at all. Also, the device vanishes from the computer's list of audio devices.
I connected to RPI and executed the above-said comments. It was still showing DSD on the screen.
Yes, the comments were executed after the device stopped working.
I still like to see the commands output when your system actually works... and then need to check the logs (/var/log/syslog) immediately after it start showing issues..
Unfortunately, the device has to be returned today and is well-packed already. Hopefully, I will get a new device without this disconnection issue.

yes. I was using my computer and It was working. Suddenly it got disconnected and went into DSD mode. I wasn't playing any DSD at all. Also, the device vanishes from the computer's list of audio devices.
I connected to RPI and executed the above-said comments. It was still showing DSD on the screen.
Yes, the comments were executed after the device stopped working.

Unfortunately, the device has to be returned today and is well-packed already. Hopefully, I will get a new device without this disconnection issue.
Ohh okay, hope you will get a replacement without any issues.

Hi @ajuvignesh , I am planning to upgrade my DAC and considering SMSL D300 and came across with the issues. Is your replacement unit working fine ?. Do you still recommend this DAC?, I am interested in its sound signature which suits my liking/ songs

I will take your advice and check if the sound output is zero on the alsamixer.
Replying to an old post. But there is something I have learnt after I purchased a toppings dac. The DSC driver is a bit faulty and it requires volume control to be always full at 100%. I'm putting my observations here

1. The entire dac/amp industry in China works like a co-operative supported by the govt. It is like Amul dairy of the earlier days before the politicians took it over by ousting Varghese Kurian
2. The govt encourages to copy design. Everyone makes hay while the sun shines.
3. It doesn't matter who comes with a hot-selling design (SMSL, AIYMA, TOPPINGS, Fossi, Possi, etc). Someone comes with a design and everyone copies the same. Look at the speaker terminals of all these class D amps from China. They are exactly the same. The case is almost the same. Just the branding is different.
4. Mistake made by one gets replicated by everyone. So the faulty DSD implementation in the driver by toppings gets replicated by SMSL, FOSSI, POSSI

I had the same issue with my toppings D10 balanced dac and it took me a while to troubleshoot and fix issue with DSD playback. This post from a mpd developer was helpful in figuring out the issue https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...asurements-of-topping-d50-dac.2403/post-95090

Last edited:
Hi @ajuvignesh , I am planning to upgrade my DAC and considering SMSL D300 and came across with the issues. Is your replacement unit working fine ?. Do you still recommend this DAC?, I am interested in its sound signature which suits my liking/ songs
Yes. The replacement doesn’t have any issues. The dac is great. Sounds nice too. The bass is lacking a bit or a bit more. Otherwise, the smsl d300 is a great DAC.
Replying to an old post. But there is something I have learnt after I purchased a toppings dac. The DSC driver is a bit faulty and it requires volume control to be always full at 100%. I'm putting my observations here

1. The entire dac/amp industry in China works like a co-operative supported by the govt. It is like Amul dairy of the earlier days before the politicians took it over by ousting Varghese Kurian
2. The govt encourages to copy design. Everyone makes hay while the sun shines.
3. It doesn't matter who comes with a hot-selling design (SMSL, AIYMA, TOPPINGS, Fossi, Possi, etc). Someone comes with a design and everyone copies the same. Look at the speaker terminals of all these class D amps from China. They are exactly the same. The case is almost the same. Just the branding is different.
4. Mistake made by one gets replicated by everyone. So the faulty DSD implementation in the driver by toppings gets replicated by SMSL, FOSSI, POSSI

I had the same issue with my toppings D10 balanced dac and it took me a while to troubleshoot and fix issue with DSD playback. This post from a mpd developer was helpful in figuring out the issue https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...asurements-of-topping-d50-dac.2403/post-95090
I have to partially agree with you because this Rohm chip is not used my any other Chinese manufacturers. Even with smsl, there is just one model with this DAC chip. Thats d300

sound like very analogue, highs are reassessed and bass rounded with attack missing

This DAC is currently selling for around 39k and I am thinking if this is a good investment or should I go for a cheaper DAC or any other model in the same price range. Again after reading the users feedback, I am having this thought.

This DAC is currently selling for around 39k and I am thinking if this is a good investment or should I go for a cheaper DAC or any other model in the same price range. Again after reading the users feedback, I am having this thought.
You may also consider ifi zen one signature retailing at 30k with better build quality than D300.

if you have anyone with this DAC in Bangalore you should go ahead and give a listen to it. I went with this dac after reading the review here by heliumflight and I am happy with it.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back