Smsl d300

In my experience, i have never heard DACs break in.

I'm not ruling out the possibility - all I'm saying is the differences are too nuanced and subtle for me to be able to tell a difference.

For that matter, unless i do a direct A/B test and keep the time between switching to less than 10 seconds, it's nearly impossible for me to tell the difference between DACs as i find the differences to be very subtle and my auditory memory to be too fickle.
Agree - though my understanding is that the memory of sounds and therefore switching sound needs to be <8 secs....beyond that a lot of perception colour :)

@heliumflight how is your new D300 functioning? Any clicks and pops?
I've been reading reviews of D300 on audiosciencereview and I can see a few complaints about loud blasts, pops, and clicks, especially with the latest firmware. Has anyone here experienced the same?
I just upgraded my firmware today and now I get loud pops on every new track.

Mod's Note:
Back to back posts have been merged. Multi-quote back to back posts in a single post to reduce clutter.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just upgraded my firmware today and now I get loud pops on every new track.

Mod's Note:
Back to back posts have been merged. Multi-quote back to back posts in a single post to reduce clutter.
I received my d300 yesterday and it has no clicks or pops. Can you revert back to old firmware?

So, I have this strange issue with my D300. I have connected it to my MacBook pro M1 with USB and it worked flawlessly. After some time like 30 minutes or so, the DAC disconnected from the computer automatically, and the display displayed 'DSD.' I tried restarting it with its remote and it connected to the computer and the display was showing PCM. But after a minute or two, it disconnected again with the display showing DSD. Then I restarted and the cycle went on and on.
I thought my Mac might be the culprit. So, I connected it to the USB out of a Raspberry Pi 3 B+ and it didn't connect at all. It was still showing DSD. I restarted the RPI and no joy. It was still showing DSD. I connected another DAC and after restarting, it got detected by the RPI but not my SMSL D300.
After the DAC showed 'DSD' even if I remove it from the USB port, DSD remained on the screen.

I did reset my D300 and also reinstalled the moode in RPI. Things didn't work out.
Can it be an issue with the DAC itself?

Does anyone have a similar issue with your D300?

So, I have this strange issue with my D300. I have connected it to my MacBook pro M1 with USB and it worked flawlessly. After some time like 30 minutes or so, the DAC disconnected from the computer automatically, and the display displayed 'DSD.' I tried restarting it with its remote and it connected to the computer and the display was showing PCM. But after a minute or two, it disconnected again with the display showing DSD. Then I restarted and the cycle went on and on.
I thought my Mac might be the culprit. So, I connected it to the USB out of a Raspberry Pi 3 B+ and it didn't connect at all. It was still showing DSD. I restarted the RPI and no joy. It was still showing DSD. I connected another DAC and after restarting, it got detected by the RPI but not my SMSL D300.
After the DAC showed 'DSD' even if I remove it from the USB port, DSD remained on the screen.

I did reset my D300 and also reinstalled the moode in RPI. Things didn't work out.
Can it be an issue with the DAC itself?

Does anyone have a similar issue with your D300?
Login to your raspberry pi on the terminal and run the followinng command

journalctl -fl

After that insert the usb cable from the dac to your RPI3 and post what comes on the screen

journalctl -fl

After that insert the usb cable from the dac to your RPI3 and post what comes on the screen
Hi mbhangui,
I can do it only next friday as I am leaving for a new house. I will keep you posted. Thank you so much.

journalctl -fl

I have installed moode audio on a new Rpi 4. How to log in to the terminal? Please help.

I have installed moode audio on a new Rpi 4. How to log in to the terminal? Please help.
Full guide is available here
https://github.com/moode-player/moode/blob/master/www/setup.txt

After booting with SD card, wait for 3/4 minutes then check for available wifi connections on you phone or laptop. It will show MoOde as one available wifi network. Connect to with password moodeaudio.
Nest open any browser and go to the address 172.24.1.1. It will open the MoOde page.
Go to configuration page and setup your network either via wifi or ethernet or both.

If you aready have ethernet cable connected, you can then login to the router and find the ipaddress assigned by your router to raspberry pi (it will show as Moode).
Now key-in that address in the browser to access MoODe and go about configuring.
I would recommend that you assign a fixed IP to MoOde based on its Mac address in your router.

If you have already done all above and only want to access it via terminal, install Putty in your computer to access MoOde via terminal commands.

Full guide is available here
https://github.com/moode-player/moode/blob/master/www/setup.txt

After booting with SD card, wait for 3/4 minutes then check for available wifi connections on you phone or laptop. It will show MoOde as one available wifi network. Connect to with password moodeaudio.
Nest open any browser and go to the address 172.24.1.1. It will open the MoOde page.
Go to configuration page and setup your network either via wifi or ethernet or both.

If you aready have ethernet cable connected, you can then login to the router and find the ipaddress assigned by your router to raspberry pi (it will show as Moode).
Now key-in that address in the browser to access MoODe and go about configuring.
I would recommend that you assign a fixed IP to MoOde based on its Mac address in your router.

If you have already done all above and only want to access it via terminal, install Putty in your computer to access MoOde via terminal commands.
Thank you so much for the step by step instructions, kannan. I have connected the pi4 via ethernet cable. I will try installing putty and access moode via terminal.
Thanks again, kannan.

Edit: @Kannan I just checked putty's website and there's no mac version available. I don't have windows at the moment. Any way to access the moode terminal from a mac?

I have managed to connect to moode via terminal and here is the result.

Last login: Fri Dec 2 12:33:03 2022 from 192.168.0.110

pi@moode:~ $ journalctl -fl

-- Journal begins at Fri 2022-12-02 09:37:07 EST. --

Dec 02 12:35:39 moode systemd[2454]: Listening on GnuPG cryptographic agent and passphrase cache (restricted).

Dec 02 12:35:39 moode systemd[2454]: Listening on GnuPG cryptographic agent (ssh-agent emulation).

Dec 02 12:35:39 moode systemd[2454]: Listening on GnuPG cryptographic agent and passphrase cache.

Dec 02 12:35:39 moode systemd[2454]: Listening on D-Bus User Message Bus Socket.

Dec 02 12:35:39 moode systemd[2454]: Reached target Sockets.

Dec 02 12:35:39 moode systemd[2454]: Reached target Basic System.

Dec 02 12:35:39 moode systemd[2454]: Reached target Main User Target.

Dec 02 12:35:39 moode systemd[2454]: Startup finished in 187ms.

Dec 02 12:35:39 moode systemd[1]: Started User Manager for UID 1000.

Dec 02 12:35:39 moode systemd[1]: Started Session 3 of user pi.

Dec 02 12:36:01 moode kernel: usb 1-1.1: new high-speed USB device number 5 using xhci_hcd

Dec 02 12:36:01 moode kernel: usb 1-1.1: New USB device found, idVendor=152a, idProduct=85dd, bcdDevice= 1.00

Dec 02 12:36:01 moode kernel: usb 1-1.1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=3, SerialNumber=0

Dec 02 12:36:01 moode kernel: usb 1-1.1: Product: SMSL USB AUDIO

Dec 02 12:36:01 moode kernel: usb 1-1.1: Manufacturer: SMSL

Dec 02 12:36:02 moode kernel: usb 1-1.1: 1:3 : unsupported format bits 0x100000000

Dec 02 12:36:03 moode mtp-probe[2518]: checking bus 1, device 5: "/sys/devices/platform/scb/fd500000.pcie/pci0000:00/0000:00:00.0/0000:01:00.0/usb1/1-1/1-1.1"

Dec 02 12:36:03 moode mtp-probe[2518]: bus: 1, device: 5 was not an MTP device

Dec 02 12:36:03 moode mtp-probe[2522]: checking bus 1, device 5: "/sys/devices/platform/scb/fd500000.pcie/pci0000:00/0000:00:00.0/0000:01:00.0/usb1/1-1/1-1.1"

Dec 02 12:36:03 moode systemd[2454]: Reached target Sound Card.

Dec 02 12:36:03 moode mtp-probe[2522]: bus: 1, device: 5 was not an MTP device

I have managed to connect to moode via terminal and here is the result.
Good. BTW mac doesn't require putty. mac and linux come with terminal as part of the basic os setup

Now connnect your dac and watch what comes on the screen

To come out of journalctl you can do ctrl-c

After you come out of journalctl. Type the following command aplay -l. e.g.

pi@moode:~ $ aplay -l

I'm travelling and be back by evening. But try the above and let me know

Good. BTW mac doesn't require putty. mac and linux come with terminal as part of the basic os setup

Now connnect your dac and watch what comes on the screen

To come out of journalctl you can do ctrl-c

After you come out of journalctl. Type the following command aplay -l. e.g.

pi@moode:~ $ aplay -l

I'm travelling and be back by evening. But try the above and let me know
Thanks @mbhangui, Yes I used the built-in terminal on my MacBook. :)

So,
I turned on the pi logged into the moode and pasted the above comment, ~ $ aplay -l.

This is the output
-bash: /home/pi: Is a directory

Take your time, @mbhangui I shall wait. :)

Thanks @mbhangui, Yes I used the built-in terminal on my MacBook. :)

So,
I turned on the pi logged into the moode and pasted the above comment, ~ $ aplay -l.

This is the output
-bash: /home/pi: Is a directory

Take your time, @mbhangui I shall wait. :)
Just type the following
aplay -l

The ~$ was just the display of your shell on your terminal that i was showing

Just type the following
aplay -l

The ~$ was just the display of your shell on your terminal that i was showing
This is what I got

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****

card 0: b1 [bcm2835 HDMI 1], device 0: bcm2835 HDMI 1 [bcm2835 HDMI 1]

Subdevices: 4/4

Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

Subdevice #1: subdevice #1

Subdevice #2: subdevice #2

Subdevice #3: subdevice #3

card 1: Headphones [bcm2835 Headphones], device 0: bcm2835 Headphones [bcm2835 Headphones]

card 2: AUDIO [SMSL USB AUDIO], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]

Subdevices: 1/1

This is what I got

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****

card 0: b1 [bcm2835 HDMI 1], device 0: bcm2835 HDMI 1 [bcm2835 HDMI 1]

card 1: Headphones [bcm2835 Headphones], device 0: bcm2835 Headphones [bcm2835 Headphones]

card 2: AUDIO [SMSL USB AUDIO], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]

Subdevices: 1/1

Your device is card 2. The dac is very much recognized
The hardware name of the device is

hw:AUDIO

This is ALSA device name. This is what will be required by any software that needs to send audio directly to this DAC without any software conversion by the OS. In short if you want to achieve bit perfect you will have to use this device name.

So from the above it can be seen that there no issue with the hardware or the OS.
To play music all that is required is to configure the software to send audio to card 2 instead of card 0 or card 1.

1. If you are never going to use the onboard DAC (headphone or HDMI) there is a way to disable it.
2. Or one can configure card 2 to be the first device so that most music software which generally choose the first card will happily play music without much configuration.

It all depends on what you want

EDIT: I just realized that you are using moode. I believe there is a setting screen where you can select the playback device, etc.
I believe @premoddev is very familiar with moode settings. So we can ask him which screen to select, etc

Last edited:
Your device is card 2. The dac is very much recognized
The hardware name of the device is

hw:AUDIO

This is ALSA device name. This is what will be required by any software that needs to send audio directly to this DAC without any software conversion by the OS. In short if you want to achieve bit perfect you will have to use this device name.

So from the above it can be seen that there no issue with the hardware or the OS.
To play music all that is required is to configure the software to send audio to card 2 instead of card 0 or card 1.

1. If you are never going to use the onboard DAC (headphone or HDMI) there is a way to disable it.
2. Or one can configure card 2 to be the first device so that most music software which generally choose the first card will happily play music without much configuration.

It all depends on what you want

EDIT: I just realized that you are using moode. I believe there is a setting screen where you can select the playback device, etc.
I believe @premoddev is very familiar with moode settings. So we can ask him which screen to select, etc
Thanks a lot, @mbhangui. I could learn a lot from this issue.
I have connected it to the pi. But SMSL still shows DSD. I have chosen smsl as the default card for playback in moode. But no joy.

Anyway, Headphonezone has created a return request. gonna return it. It will be tested at their facility, apparently.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back