Smsl d300

I got mine a couple of days back.
These are things that impressed me
  • vocals and instruments sound natural with more weight
  • Very musical (like @heliumflight mentioned, I find it difficult to turn off the music)
  • Soundstage is deeper
  • Better detail retrieval
  • No sibilance
  • I'm able to listen for longer hours without any fatigue
On the flip side
  • Bass is on softer side with almost no punch
  • Dynamic range is little less.
  • Background is not as dark as e30 with nirvana
  • LCD display is not very useful when viewed from distance. Font is too small. Good thing is it can be turned off.
  • Build quality is average
I come from using topping e30 dac with nirvana smps and my impressions on smsl d300 are with e30 as reference.

Will update the post if I find any changes in sound quality.
This is a very helpful guide on people who are looking to upgrade.
. Years ago I had a LUXMAN power amplifier M-06a and this sound still haunts me and tried all things to get that same sound. Recently I bought a Denafpris Pontus II, Chord Qutest and sold it in just a week as I was really tired and fed up with the physical pain and financial loss incurred. I again gained courage and got SMSL D300 Dac. It turned out to be a very good decision. Much more dynamic with a better high-end response. The sound stage is fuller with more definition and detail.
This is quite interesting. i believe it's safe to assume you've let go of your Luxman then. It would be really helpful to other users (including me :) ) if you could describe the rest of your chain as well, particularly the current Amp and source.

Was there are particular reason why you were seeking to compensate for/emulate the sound of the Luxman power amp with different DAC combinations instead of another power amp?

Last edited:
This is a very helpful guide on people who are looking to upgrade.

This is quite interesting. i believe it's safe to assume you've let go of your Luxman then. It would be really helpful to other users (including me :) ) if you could describe the rest of your chain as well, particularly the current Amp and source.

Was there are particular reason why you were seeking to compensate for/emulate the sound of the Luxman power amp with different DAC combinations instead of another power amp?
Luxman has a seductive sound.

HiFi Rig: Marantz 6005 + SMSL D300 + Lyrita Audio Dht pre + GM 70 + ASI Liveline power cable + ASI Liveline Reference IC + Sony APM 717/ Dali 370 Evidence

Luxman has a seductive sound.

HiFi Rig: Marantz 6005 + SMSL D300 + Lyrita Audio Dht pre + GM 70 + ASI Liveline power cable + ASI Liveline Reference IC + Sony APM 717/ Dali 370 Evidence

Luxman Lab series (vintage) amps are out of the world. With Tannoy vintage series speakers, this will make an audio nirvana scenario.

My initial impressions. This wonderful hobby is first and foremost about music and its reproduction. Making music your new hobby can heal your body and your soul, making you a happier, well-rounded person. Years ago I had a LUXMAN power amplifier M-06a and this sound still haunts me and tried all things to get that same sound. Recently I bought a Denafpris Pontus II, Chord Qutest and sold it in just a week as I was really tired and fed up with the physical pain and financial loss incurred. I again gained courage and got SMSL D300 Dac. It turned out to be a very good decision. Much more dynamic with a better high-end response. The sound stage is fuller with more definition and detail.

Folks believe me it has the same Luxman sound signature as is their top-of-the-line range D10 CD player and costing $16000. The SMSL uses the Rohm chip BD34301EKV for $399 seems like a bargain. It has a cult following as they were very few that were manufactured. I invite you over for a home listening and it will be your final destination, I assure you. What mesmerizing vocals, seductive tone, a little bass shy, but all that disappears as the music continued to play all night I couldn’t turn it off.

Best!
Hi @heliumflight, i just saw that the SMSL D300 has been put up for sale in less than 3 months! Any particular reason?

Hello friends,

Has anyone experienced with Smsl d300 dac as I have purchased it and dying to try it in on my system.
hi i am looking to buy the A300 where did u buy yrs and how much was it. i cant find it on amazon or any of the audio shops in india

just got a quote from headphone zone A300 Ra 17,999 with 4-5 weeks delivery time. a very good price considrin it cost usd 200 ie rs 16,000 approx. infact its less than what i expected. anyway for yr info as there was some interest in this product.
How can the price be17,999 when it is not available?
just got a quote from headphone zone A300 Ra 17,999 with 4-5 weeks delivery time. a very good price considrin it cost usd 200 ie rs 16,000 approx. infact its less than what i expected. anyway for yr info as there was some interest in this product.
I fail to understand a price drop of 50% on Hpz in less than a 2 months.

watch this review of the SMSL Class A - 10W/ch amp... he is comparing to to the Pass Labs usd 5000 amp. looks like this company is going to get quite a following with such reviews.

Came across this gem of a thread.

So FM @heliumflight , after getting the SMSL d300 costing INR 35,000/- , and comparing it favourably to a 16,000$ (!!) Luxman flagship CD player , promptly puts it up for sale in less than 3 months …

What is his next acquisition now , I wonder … a INR 5000/- bt streamer sounding as good as a VPI Signature 21 ?

In that case , I’ll be the first in line when he puts it up for sale too … :)

Came across this gem of a thread.

So FM @heliumflight , after getting the SMSL d300 costing INR 35,000/- , and comparing it favourably to a 16,000$ (!!) Luxman flagship CD player , promptly puts it up for sale in less than 3 months …

What is his next acquisition now , I wonder … a INR 5000/- bt streamer sounding as good as a VPI Signature 21 ?

In that case , I’ll be the first in line when he puts it up for sale too … :)
Keep waiting.

@heliumflight

Perhaps you should share the reasons for moving away from smsl d300. If there is something wrong with the product or the sound or any other thing that let to such a decision, the same be detailed here as it could save someone from repeating that mistake.

@heliumflight

Perhaps you should share the reasons for moving away from smsl d300. If there is something wrong with the product or the sound or any other thing that let to such a decision, the same be detailed here as it could save someone from repeating that mistake.
Make no mistake, it is a really good DAC and value for money, but soft for my listening.

Years ago I had a LUXMAN power amplifier M-06a and this sound still haunts me and tried all things to get that same sound. Recently I bought a Denafpris Pontus II, Chord Qutest and sold it in just a week as I was really tired and fed up with the physical pain and financial loss incurred. I again gained courage and got SMSL D300 Dac. It turned out to be a very good decision. Much more dynamic with a better high-end response. The sound stage is fuller with more definition and detail.

Folks believe me it has the same Luxman sound signature as is their top-of-the-line range D10 CD player and costing $16000. The SMSL uses the Rohm chip BD34301EKV for $399 seems like a bargain. It has a cult following as they were very few that were manufactured. I invite you over for a home listening and it will be your final destination, I assure you. What mesmerizing vocals, seductive tone, a little bass shy, but all that disappears as the music continued to play all night I couldn’t turn it off.

Best!
Make no mistake, it is a really good DAC and value for money, but soft for my listening.
The SMSL D300 seems to have quite a curious sound signature as per your description!

If my experience with Chord DACs has taught me something, its that they're anything but soft (not to be confused with unrefined). And they are dynamic like nobody's business!

On the other hand, from what I've read about the Pontus II, it is supposed to have sky high detail retrieval similar to the Qutest but with smoothed edges typical of the R2R sound.

According to your experience with the SMSL D300, It is more Dynamic, has a better high end response, definition as well as detail retrieval than the Chord Qutest and Denafrips Pontus II.

Yet, it is too soft!

I believe what perturbs us all (as any concerned friend would be :)) is that this turned out to be a One Night Stand (haven't used that term in a while 😅)! The hunt for this particular sound seems to have been on since time immemorial and it was pretty much it since the "session" went on all night long! Yet, you chose to let it go upon finding it!o_O o_Oo_O

Would it be safe to say that old flames are best left at what they are i.e. old flames - only to be reminisced fondly but never to be revisited? ;)

Last edited:
I believe what perturbs us all (as any concerned friend would be :)) is that this turned out to be a One Night Stand (haven't used that term in a while 😅)! The hunt for this particular sound seems to have been on since time immemorial and it was pretty much it since the "session" went on all night long! Yet, you chose to let it go upon finding it!
Would it be safe to say that old flames are best left at what they are i.e. old flames - only to be reminisced fondly but never to be revisited? ;)
These both seperately, were hard af !!😂 tenor.gif

Last edited:
We keep talking about how sound is so subjective, how no two people perceive sound the same, yada, yada till it oozes out of our ears. And rightly so.
Yet, here we are, questioning (which is fine), mocking and poking fun of (not so fine) someone for the very same perception.
Damned if we do and equally damned if we don't.
Like a famous person in the forum once said "whatever floats one's boat". :rolleyes:

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back