SMSL - SD9 Streamer

Ebenezer

Hello FMs,

I am planning to upgrade my streamer, currently I am using Allo Boss 1.2 player. I would like to buy a dedicated streamer and DAC. I would predominantly use my FLAC files from hard drive, and I may steam spotify.

I came across this SMSL SD9 streamer with good features. Pls let me know if anyone has experience with this.

I use Yamaha AS500 Amp with Wharfedale Evo 4.2 speakers.

Thanks

Last edited:
Has anyone tried Ayune X5 player? It seems to have an internal DAC and digital out as well

Has anyone tried Ayune X5 player? It seems to have an internal DAC and digital out as well
The Aune X5 seems to be quite a curious device - it is not a streamer, nor can it act as a standalone DAC though it has one inbuilt. Its functionality seems to be limited to playing music from HDDs, Pendrives, SD cards and wirelessly over bluetooth.

You could consider the Allo Digione Signature which is a streamer with inbuilt wifi as well as ability to accept ethernet, can playback off HDDs/SD cards/Pen Drives etc, and sounds great! Depending on the OS, you can control it with an app from a smartphone or browser window from a PC/laptop or for that matter, simply from the Spotify app directly.

The Aune X5 seems to be quite a curious device - it is not a streamer, nor can it act as a standalone DAC though it has one inbuilt. Its functionality seems to be limited to playing music from HDDs, Pendrives, SD cards and wirelessly over bluetooth.

You could consider the Allo Digione Signature which is a streamer with inbuilt wifi as well as ability to accept ethernet, can playback off HDDs/SD cards/Pen Drives etc, and sounds great! Depending on the OS, you can control it with an app from a smartphone or browser window from a PC/laptop or for that matter, simply from the Spotify app directly.
Thank you for your suggestion. What is the best OS for Digione Signature? I have only tried Volumio 2

Thank you for your suggestion. What is the best OS for Digione Signature? I have only tried Volumio 2
I find volumio to be a bit buggy. However, its internet radio feature, especially some Losless channels are excellent. I use RoopieXL as i stick to streaming from Spotify.

I find volumio to be a bit buggy. However, its internet radio feature, especially some Losless channels are excellent. I use RoopieXL as i stick to streaming from Spotify.
Is RoopieXL a free OS, or it requires monthly subscription?

Is RoopieXL a free OS, or it requires monthly subscription?
It is free. There are some other free OS'es that you could explore as well such as Moode and Max2play.

Honestly, I'm not the best person to advise on OS'es as i stuck with the first one that i found to be functional with Spotify i.e. RoopieXL.

If i'm not mistaken, there is a entire thread on the Allo Digione Signature where the pros, cons and experiences with these OS'es have been discussed in depth by various FMs and i found it to be quite helpful.

Consider allo digione/usbridge sig with Shanthi PSU and standalone DAC, this allows you to change DAC whenever required. I tried volumio, ropieexl & moode audio, and finally settled with volumio which has tidal connect and suits my requirement.

Should I go for Lindemann streamer or SMSL D9 as want a good app that is a bug-free experience? Will it read external HDD 3Tb? Will I be able to stream Tidal & Spotify?

Should I go for Lindemann streamer or SMSL D9 as want a good app that is a bug-free experience? Will it read external HDD 3Tb? Will I be able to stream Tidal & Spotify?
Both the SMSL SD9 and Lindemann Limetree bridge are known to have certain issues with the app and so on and so forth. There are a few videos on youtube on both devices discussing their specific issues. You can check to decide if they are deal breakers.

Here are two videos by a youtuber who has checked out both and in which he has discussed their bugs and issues:

The screen on SMSL S9 is small considering you will be sitting on a couch and viewing from a distance of 8 feet, hence I was considering streaming from Lindemann app. Thanks for sharing the videos. Where can I get Lindemann in India a good deal?

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back