So Confused!! Please Help

Imran

Hey,

I am looking to set up my first home theater system and decided to look through the forum, the amount of information available is so overwhelming that I thought I would just stop and ask the experts.

And again before I start, I am a newbie, my knowledge of audio system is negligible compared to the people here.

What I currently have
1) Panasonic 50inch Plasma
2) Asus o Play HD 2 (Plays all my HD stuff) (HDMI / Optical out)
3) Playstation 3 (Plays all my Bluray disc) (HDMI Out)
4) Tatasky HD+ (HDMI Out)

I want to build a nice audio system, but I have budget constrains. So I am planning to do it in phases.

My Brother's coming from US, so I thought I will start by buying a receiver/ AMP (I really don't know what this does, but I have been told its important)

Can somebody suggest something? I am confused about the budget, but I don't think I can spend more than 75K (1L, if stretched) for the whole set up (5.1)
The usage break is about
40% - Movies
40% - Music (From House to Country)
20% - Playing Console

Thanks in Advance!!

what you require right now are two components.

1. av receiver - it is a surround sound amplifier (since it has a radio tuner inbuilt as well it is called a receiver. either 5.1 or 7.1.
2. 5.1 speaker package. the 5 will indicate 2 fronts, 2 rears and one centre. the .1 is for the sub woofer.

my suggestion is to first decide on what speakers you want to purchase and then based on that you select an amp. if youre buying a sub woofer then you dont need floorstanders for your front speakers - bookshelves will be fine. i suggest you walk into a store that sells wharfedale speakers and listen to their diamond series 9. they're a good set of speakers in your budget. you can also check out the kef q series and the monitor audio bronze series. once you decide on the speakers then you look for an amp that matches the speakers in sound and what kind of sound you like. brands to look at are denon, onkyo, marantz, yamaha

2 points to note
1. in a given price range, diff systems will have diff (not necessarily bad or good) sound signatures. that is why it is imp for you to listen and decide for yourself which one suits your ears
2. it is very imp to pair a whole system well so once you decide on the speakers you can decide on the amp as well

If I were you, you may want to wait until you can strecht the budget long enough so that you will have a range of options. AV Receiver is good for home theater systems but for music I suggest you do have different system which consists preamplifier and power amplifier.

The good brand for home theater is Denon but try to get the one made in Japan (cost is no doubt may be around 4000 USD for AV Receiver only) and good speaker like Dynaudio or Dali (still made in Denmark and cost for about 5000-6000 for complete home theater system).

For music I recommend to use CD player with DAC or CDT, preamplifer and power amplifier but if budget is concern you may want to use integrated amplifier. Brand to look is McInstosh, Krell, Audio Note, AMR, YBA, Conrad Johnson, Mark Levinson but as long as the budget are consent these may out of your range as the range running from 5000-20000 USD. The cost of CD player itself is range from 6000 - 100,000 USD.

You need to buy an excellent power cord, speaker cable, interconnect, power conditioning, etc to produce such a brilliant sound and picture quality. Audio systems are not something you pick potatoes from the basket. The best thing to do before you buy is listen them first as everybody's ears are different. Dont trust 100 percents on the review.

Good luck and happy choosing.

Thank you guys for taking the time to reply. I saw some deals going on here on the forum, can you guys suggest anything?

And if I do buy the speakers first, can I start using them or do I need to have the amp too?

And do you guys by any chances know where I could test Wharfedale in Gurgaon/Delhi Area.

Thanks again

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back