so.. whats in a Naim ?

half space= with the speaker on 1 reflective surface. typically the floor.

The wavelengths of sound frequencies audible to the human ear (20 Hz–20 kHz) are thus between approximately 17 m and 17 mm, respectively.

( is the above correct ?? )

so for a front baffle of 8 inches wide like my current Merlin TSM speaker, we will expect a 6 dB boost for all freq with wavelength above 100 mm ??

i guess this will start from 3000 Hz and above...

and BSC is a negative compensation / negative reinforcement right ??

above is simplistic but for me i am looking for broad answers ( unless notable exceptions ) so i can tighten my gut feel.

Kindly validate

thanks !

mpw
8" = 20cm so a wave length of 40cm =~ 855hz.

your speakers are almost definitely compensated. from what I have heard. If I were to hazard a guess I would say about 4.5dB. you could ask on the merlin boards.

BSC is mostly negative by attenuating the frequencies above the BSC frequency.

8" = 20cm so a wave length of 40cm =~ 855hz.

your speakers are almost definitely compensated. from what I have heard. If I were to hazard a guess I would say about 4.5dB. you could ask on the merlin boards.

BSC is mostly negative by attenuating the frequencies above the BSC frequency.

Thank you @kapvin

May i extrapolate to the Jeff Bagby Solstice kit which is a 3 driver 2 way kit ( TMM ) so the extra driver basically adds dB to compensate for the BSC on the crossover ??

best regards

The Naim Nait 5i is home.

Before i go any further i must thank a few FM's who have provided their ideas and inputs and even time and effort.

Dr Bass, Jaibir, Prem, Denombhai.. thanks so much.. i think the information exchanged was very value adding and useful.

Jaibir - i want to thank you especially for giving me the Promitheus which opened the door to the world beyond NAD ( not that NAD is too bad ) and to taking the time out and listening to the Exposure 2010i for me. I really really appreciate that. next time you are in Mumbai the drink is on me.

:)

Denom - thanks once again for accompanying me to those auditions and for being there and validating the choice. Its always good to have another pair of trusty ears backing you up. Most certainly we shall meet to hear the naim soon and a few beers that are pending. :)

To samirk.. thanks.. its good to exchange ideas especially for someone who lives closeby and is a fellow naim owner. Ofcourse drop in one of these days..

The Oscar awards just got over and i hope my thank you's are not too late :lol:

but i mean it very much.

There are also a few folks outside the forum whom i am thankful to. Steven and Adil from Naim Audio have been very elegant in dealing with a slightly impatient customer :)

The sound - too early.. let the combo play for about a month and then i will write in.

I will try to post some photos in the mean time..

maybe this thread coule be a Naim nait 5i thread or a Naim thread overall so the naim owners can be here.. anyways we see about that later..

time for some coffee and sunday music..

rgds,
mpw
Naim naa as it 5Si
Cool very very sweet sounding amp. You can listen it it with zero fatigue.
only down side is lacks muscle

What l found that front ported speakers do sound better when placed near wall than rear ported most of the time. This may be most of FMs observation.May be it depending on how soundwave travels.

That is changing with new designs that have

Slots as port
Port firing downwards

In stereo speakers

But in general all speakers like space around them except for those specifically designed to work best when close to a wall like the Naims and the Linn Sara or Linn Kan

Its important to understand this 3rd type of speaker as a speaker specially designed to work close to / with a wall.

Regards

Hi mpw kutty, been a while :)
Visiting hfv after ages and saw your thread, along with one on footers. Hence, decided to kill two birds with one stone by posting on yours!
I know you like to experiment with tweaks, so this one’s for you. Below is a pic of my speaker with some spacers under the front spikes, giving it a slight tilt. The effect is quite intriguing, definitely not what I was expecting.
Do check out for yourself and see if it works for you.
2C7E8DE9-81C1-4575-A4E8-108E90BEF642.jpeg

Hi @coaltrain

so nice to see you here.. hope all is well and you are spending good time exploring your favorite jazz music :)

Thanks for the tip !

my speakers are standmount and they are simply placed on the speaker stands..only a 1 mm "grated" neoprene sheet provides some grip and a touch of isolation - this tweak worked big time for me.

If i tip the front of my speakers backwards - i am afraid of the consequences :eek:

I guess its easier to tilt floorstanders back than standmounts...

best wishes,
mpw

my speakers are standmount and they are simply placed on the speaker stands..only a 1 mm "grated" neoprene sheet provides some grip and a touch of isolation

My friend’s Audio Note AN-Es are mounted on stands with four blobs of blu-tack, as recommended by the manufacturer. It’s a pretty solid connection and may provide you with better grip.

Hi @coaltrain

so nice to see you here.. hope all is well and you are spending good time exploring your favorite jazz music :)

Thanks for the tip !

my speakers are standmount and they are simply placed on the speaker stands..only a 1 mm "grated" neoprene sheet provides some grip and a touch of isolation - this tweak worked big time for me.

If i tip the front of my speakers backwards - i am afraid of the consequences :eek:

I guess its easier to tilt floorstanders back than standmounts...

best wishes,
mpw

Hi mpw :)

I didn't read the specs of the dspeaker antimode 8033. But I guess it is mainly for sub woofer eq. So can you please check out its range of frequency correction, before you pull the trigger .

Iam a total convert to DSP use in 2 channel systems after i tried a cheap Dayton dsp400. The differences were simply stellar. More than any expensive power conditioning and exotic cables I've spent on. So you are certainly on the right track here.

I myself am so impressed with the results, that I bought a dspeaker antimode 2.0 dual core just for the bass correction. Will surely post back my listening impressions once Iam back. All the best :)

Hi mpw :)

I didn't read the specs of the dspeaker antimode 8033. But I guess it is mainly for sub woofer eq. So can you please check out its range of frequency correction, before you pull the trigger .

Iam a total convert to DSP use in 2 channel systems after i tried a cheap Dayton dsp400. The differences were simply stellar. More than any expensive power conditioning and exotic cables I've spent on. So you are certainly on the right track here.

I myself am so impressed with the results, that I bought a dspeaker antimode 2.0 dual core just for the bass correction. Will surely post back my listening impressions once Iam back. All the best :)
Hi

What you bought includes a dac and pre amp and eq as well...

I am only looking at subwoofer eq for a start..with the DSpeaker or minidsp 2x4

Let me know how it goes..

Regards

hi.
i am looking for a streamer to match my naim nait xs.
how about naim nd5xs2 vs CA azur 851n
any naim experts pl

NAIM NAP100 (discontinued model) . Is this ok to pair this with non-naim network player that has variable audio outputs OR its best only with the naim pre-amp?

NAIM NAP100 (discontinued model) . Is this ok to pair this with non-naim network player that has variable audio outputs OR its best only with the naim pre-amp?
Hello....Folks any suggestions/opinions ! Can Naim power amps be paired with any network player (with variable output ) and would it deliver the full Naim performance OR only a Naim pre-amp/network player delivers the full performance ?

It appears that NAIM does not quote 4R watts output rating for their amps ?
Yes, they don't publish 4R watts on their website, however you can reach out to naim support to get those number.
Some reviews do mention 4R watts for naim.

Yes, they don't publish 4R watts on their website, however you can reach out to naim support to get those number.
Some reviews do mention 4R watts for naim.
Thanks . on www dot acoustica dot org dot uk ie naim-related web links i got the basic overview of what i wanted to know .
Offcourse the official naim forum is a brilliant blog and one of the best like HUG (harbeth user group)

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back