so.. whats in a Naim ?

Mpw is not using it as a power cord. He’s using it as in wall wiring from the main board to the point

Mpw is not using it as a power cord. He’s using it as in wall wiring from the main board to the point

Oh looks like i misunderstood. Sounds good. I would still prefer a thicker cable to be run from mcb to wall point. But if lapp sounds better, nothing like it. He once asked me to run a 4mm cable in my wall and i did it and it is still sounding good.

@prem - its a power cord 3.75 meters from the 15A wall socket ( L&T Indian 15A plug ) to the SN2 terminated by a Furutech FI-15E(Cu)

there is a difference between a normal Polycab 3 core and this one.

maybe its the insulation or the dielectric ??

maybe @jls001 can throw some light.

The result is more likeable to my ears..more heavier sound...

see pic..

lappcy1003G2,5.jpg
mods- very kind of you but everything has a sell by date and i guess this thread has reached an end as well..

cannot afford any more Naims ( if i get rich maybe a NAC 282 + Hicap DR + NAP 250 DR maybe or a NAP 300 DR ) but thats a fantasy too far and besides my sources will be shown up and that will lead to the dreaded upgrade cycle..

best wishes

@prem

cannot afford any more Naims ( if i get rich maybe a NAC 282 + Hicap DR + NAP 250 DR maybe or a NAP 300 DR ) but thats a fantasy too far and besides my sources will be shown up and that will lead to the dreaded upgrade cycle.

best wishes

That was the exact reason i went for chinese than afford these advanced amps from naim once i faced power shortage.

Also @mpw, too much detail can blow up the overall performance of songs we love unless we listen to audiophile song category only. i have learned this hard way. A system which is easy to listen to for the songs that we love to listen to is the best system in the world. Wish i would have closed my thread long ago.

Also @mpw, too much detail can blow up the overall performance of songs we love unless we listen to audiophile song category only. i have learned this hard way. A system which is easy to listen to for the songs that we love to listen to is the best system in the world. Wish i would have closed my thread long ago.

I am at this stage now..

You hosted me at yours I wish I could host you sometime.

I am at this stage now..

You hosted me at yours I wish I could host you sometime.

The thing i like about naim is that they know the heart and pulse of music extremely well and focus on those areas rather than focus on something less important. They have a closed system where they dont want people to try things that can be tried with other amps. Result is more than satisfying. I wish i could listen to that amp of yours sometime soon, maybe sooner who knows.

You nailed it..

oh well.. some free time at home

i had asked for this thread to be shut down but it looks like i have something to add afterall..:eek:

Many moons ago i had got these ceiling treatment but i hesitated to use it since it was grayish in color

with the slowdown at work and with some time at home and with a bit of help from nimble fingers i stuck these to the ceiling...

Got the "looks" from folks at home but continued nevertheless..;)

and am playing Steve Rothery - Ghosts of Pripryat - same music i left off last night..

next up is Led Zep - Stairway included...

when in a mood to "listen" i sit under the pointy cone of the imaginary triangle as you see in this pic of the ceiling

will let you guys know how it goes..

ceiling.jpg

They have a closed system where they dont want people to try things that can be tried with other amps.
What is "closed" about their "system" vs other amps? Can you give examples?
What cannot be tried with a Naim that can be tried with other amps?
And no cable examples, please.

what naim produces in general:
amps
dacs
power supplies
streamers
power cables
speaker cables
naim interconnects

need to understand here that the house sound they have that is heavily dependent on theIr equipment they recommend including cables. They simply gel together to give that particular naim sound. people get Naim only because they like the house sound and it has a cult following. they have an established sound and that means people don’t have to venture into non Naim equipment to get better sound. That means less headache. I am a believer that cables make or break a system and this belief has come while using Naim only. I had only used naim amp and speaker cable but if I had to upgrade my sound naim gives me a direction and I don’t need to unnecessarily try the whole world out there to find what would sound better. as a naim user if you have the money it’s better to have all naim devices so 'trying' can be avoided and you know what would work for the best sound you can get while using naim. Isnt it what we strive for while 'trying' things with our systems in general.

Even historically naim has had proprietary interconnect technologies and even instances where their amps could fry if you use some other speaker cables. They have digressed from all that in the current equipment and now use standard rcas and even increased tolerance for high capacitance speaker cables but somewhere their philosophy discourages poeple to use non naim things. People might call it as marketing and yes their equipmemt is bloody hell expensive but the sound naim can give is what naim can give only. No other system in the world has that sound and its because of their closed ecosystem only.

Last edited:
The thing i like about naim is that they know the heart and pulse of music extremely well and focus on those areas rather than focus on something less important. They have a closed system where they dont want people to try things that can be tried with other amps. Result is more than satisfying. I wish i could listen to that amp of yours sometime soon, maybe sooner who knows.

Control vs Freedom - one of the eternal dilemmas of mankind. One can argue both for/against. And not just in politics.

What’s important is to understand that the ideology of the company reflects in the design and performance of their equipment and if it helps the user to follow it (if in agreement) than not. Naim’s total systems approach differentiates them. There’d be users who value and follow that (for reasons stated by @firearm12) and those that stay way because they feel limited.

Not just detail, but even a transparent and flat sound system does that. Some companies understand this and make hi-fi speakers, equipment and accessories that make a larger population of recordings sound good. But it comes at a cost (coloration). Part of an audiophile’s evolution is understanding this and making up one’s own mind based on what he/she values - ‘euphonic sound‘ or ‘truer sound’.

Last edited by a moderator:
Control vs Freedom - one of the eternal dilemmas of mankind. One can argue both for/against. And not just in politics!

What’s important is to understand that the ideology of the company reflects in the design and performance of their equipment and if it helps the user to follow it (if in agreement) than not.

Ya apple or android , linux or windows. But somewhere closed ecosystem products reflect ideogies better and so suit some mortals better thats only thing i can say

Weird connectors they sound best with
No pre out or power in
Optimised to work with their own speaker cables that are designed into the circuit (damping factor moves as a result)

Basically they design products to sound best with other Naim products

Basically they design products to sound best with other Naim products

1 line summary and its true i guess

But at the same time i enjoy my Naim amp with a Philips CD960 or a Sony BDP S370 or even my Lenco turntable

I see nothing wrong with this approach as long as there is a global market and appreciation for this value.

Afterall -
whats a person without a personality ?
whats a company without values ?

Many electronics i have heard
Many more out there
Many are nice

But for me Naim ticks my boxes ( all those spatialization and soundstage contortion folks ...you are free to dis-agree )

Previously i had an ( almost ) all Naim system

Naim CD player
Naim interconnects
naim amp
Naim speaker cable feeding
Merlin TSM ( only exception )

very good days those..

One more thing - exceptional support from Naim company and Naim forum members... probably one of the better forums on the planet.

But hey - whatever floats your boat is your Naim :)

some adverts for your viewing pleasure.. and to get the personality of the company.

Presently in French hands though...d9ac88a2ba01139a4d0459a9fcf12372cb7be323_2_372x500.jpegdownload.jpg2acc0d7338e8e8f0f4157291541589c5bd9effa3.jpeg891964_10152708032535300_109824058_o.jpg

regards

@keith_correa

nothing closed at all

you are free to try any other brand that works with your Naim electronics..

Just that some products work better with some products - Naim understands that

Many dont.

( I say with humility and conviction - having had an all naim setup before )

regards

Synergy with other Naim products is different and cannot be termed a "closed" system. Many "Brit" brands follow the same approach.
@mpw is right, there's nothing "closed" about Naim.

i started with their entry level - Naim 5si amp with well acknowledged matching Neat SX2 speakers as a blind buy. rest all generic stuff- cables, CCA, modi3. Always felt certain harshness in sound above certain loudness
With NACA5 cables, mogami 2803 RCA and more importantly better source - CXN v2, i feel system is all settled in and i m njoying amp's musicality at all loudness levels.
So Naim working well with CA for me and i plan to settle down for long with the current stereo setup. Wish me luck :)

@bawa

source first is a valid train of thought - so its great you have a source that matches the rest of the chain ( key word is matches - not overpowers )

the LCR of the Naca5 cable is considered part of the system

But i am told - the newer Naim amps including the naim nait 5si you have are more flexible in this regard.

Nice to get the Naca5 and peace of mind from cable experimentation :)

love to see a pic of your setup - do put it up on this forum on the My Audio Video Setup thread

regards

i started with their entry level - Naim 5si amp with well acknowledged matching Neat SX2 speakers as a blind buy. rest all generic stuff- cables, CCA, modi3. Always felt certain harshness in sound above certain loudness
With NACA5 cables, mogami 2803 RCA and more importantly better source - CXN v2, i feel system is all settled in and i m njoying amp's musicality at all loudness levels.
So Naim working well with CA for me and i plan to settle down for long with the current stereo setup. Wish me luck :)

Try mogami 2549 if you want fatter sound. 2803 was little bright for my speakers with naim

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back