so.. whats in a Naim ?

The Naim Nait 5i is home.

Before i go any further i must thank a few FM's who have provided their ideas and inputs and even time and effort.

Dr Bass, Jaibir, Prem, Denombhai.. thanks so much.. i think the information exchanged was very value adding and useful.

Jaibir - i want to thank you especially for giving me the Promitheus which opened the door to the world beyond NAD ( not that NAD is too bad ) and to taking the time out and listening to the Exposure 2010i for me. I really really appreciate that. next time you are in Mumbai the drink is on me.

:)

Denom - thanks once again for accompanying me to those auditions and for being there and validating the choice. Its always good to have another pair of trusty ears backing you up. Most certainly we shall meet to hear the naim soon and a few beers that are pending. :)

To samirk.. thanks.. its good to exchange ideas especially for someone who lives closeby and is a fellow naim owner. Ofcourse drop in one of these days..

The Oscar awards just got over and i hope my thank you's are not too late :lol:

but i mean it very much.

There are also a few folks outside the forum whom i am thankful to. Steven and Adil from Naim Audio have been very elegant in dealing with a slightly impatient customer :)

The sound - too early.. let the combo play for about a month and then i will write in.

I will try to post some photos in the mean time..

maybe this thread coule be a Naim nait 5i thread or a Naim thread overall so the naim owners can be here.. anyways we see about that later..

time for some coffee and sunday music..

rgds,
mpw

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats mpw,so finally its home.Eager to know the sound coming from it.Let it has some time to run in full potential.

Congratulations mpw! The Naim 5i is a fantastic amplifier. I had heard it recently paired to Dyns (Focus & Excite series) during a recent trip abroad. Their CD player is also fantastic and matches very well with the amplifier.

How much did the Naim cost you in India?

Best,
APK.

Enjoy the fruits of your hard work, I know the wait was long but it will all pay off, am sure about it ;)

You have been 'Naimed'

Enjoy the fruits of your hard work, I know the wait was long but it will all pay off, am sure about it ;)

You have been 'Naimed'

==================================================

denom,

"Naimed " or "Nailed" or "Maimed ( wallet wise )" are all similar things. :lol:

Never knew this before we actually heard a Naim.

The wait was long ( more than 6 weeks i think since i sold my NAD ) but now having played it for 4 hours .. some Coldplay and Spiro's test CD.. i think it pairs quite well with the Epos M12i.

Am beginning to quench my thirst ( musicwise ).. now that i have waited so long for this. It was sometimes a nightmare and i think i did experience some withdrawal symptoms :) being without music for a while. But it was an eye opening experience in many ways.

I think i have prioritised my music in not being too crazy about it but still retaining it as a part of my life.

Now the focus is on enjoying the music.. thats all..

I have been told that the Naim CDP plairs well but i think my Marantz SA7001 is no slouch either and the sonic advantages may not be that much with a Naim CDP ) ( but thats for another debate and another day ).

Many FM's have PM'ed me asking the price and i advise you contact Dubai Audio - Premium audio, video and electronics products in Dubai, United Arab Emirates and you will get your answer.

I have been lucky in many ways but life is such a thing that it balances out in many ways and in other avenues. One door opens and another closes.

I think i must have a shave.. getting into philosophy now :lol:

I understand the naim is designed to be left ON at all times and when i switch on - there is a thump from the left speaker. The Naim manual mentions this and says it is normal and wont affect the amp or the speaker.

I am not too much a fan of leaving things ON especially when i have no spike protector or guard on my power strip.

the power strip is plugged into 15A mains straightaway to Naim just as naim recommends it.

The NACA5 cables are a visual treat and am sure add to the value if the sound. I am not going to bother with experimenting with speaker cables now.

I think its a case of Fill it.. Shut it.. Forget it..

I hope to have a long run with this setup.

Will post a detailed review much later.

Hope to have answered all questions / information requested.

regards,
mpw

Last edited by a moderator:
What's in a naim? Well, it's a naim I'd be very, very happy to see on my shelf :D Congratulations!
========================================================

Thad,

A rose by another name would still be a Rose and i suppose a Naim by any other name would still be a Naim.

Thank you !

regards,
mpw

==================================================

The NACA5 cables are a visual treat and am sure add to the value if the sound. I am not going to bother with experimenting with speaker cables now.

Hope to have answered all questions / information requested.

regards,
mpw

Congratulations!. Is this that gear famous for its PRAT? I've always wanted to hear it for that reason.

So this thing does not have standard RCA out jacks?

A pubished/quoted Indian MRP would have been nice although you might have obtained it at a bargain price personally.

-G0bble

gobble,

quoted INR RS 104k ( landed.. incl duties ) at Lakozy Mumbai.

There is a 3 week waiting period which stretches to 4 weeks anyways....

regards,
mpw

Congrats MPW

Now sit back and enjoy the music

Try once to keep the amp on for 1 hour prior your music session. Play some familiar music. See if it actually makes any difference

As i told you before, with my amp there is night and day difference in sound with and without a warmup

thanks rikhav.. will do once things settle down..

once again.. i am due to travel..

Oneday i would like to come and listen to your setup. I hope it will be sooner rather than later.

mpw

Congrats mpw!! This amp should keep you happy for a long time. Same goes to your speakers, very good combination overall. Your Marantz CDP is nice. However a good Naim CDP will take you higher in the Naim game. There is something about the way they play music together, especially connected with their DIN interconnects and proprietary power cords. Music sounds unstoppable.
However you are better off skipping their entry level CDP the CD5i, the CD5x/xs is where the fun begins in a big way. Anyway, these days CD players are going out of usage very fast so you may actually end up buying their Network players.

Coming over to the subject of warm up, I have tried it many times with all my Naim gears. Naim says 48 hours of warm up is required to get them sound their best and they are absolutely correct. The sound is so much more alive after about 2 days of warm up (just switched on), after that experience when you try listen to it cold you can immediately recognize the loss of life and excitement in sound. It is very obvious. Do not worry about Spikes and voltage disturbance in general because they designed to be very robust and well protected. Only thing you may need to worry is thunder strikes.

Congratulations!. Is this that gear famous for its PRAT? I've always wanted to hear it for that reason.

Yes Gobble, it is that gear.

Dr Bass,

the entry level player is now a newer version CD5si.. they launched in december 2012.

You made some valid points about the CD and as of this moment i need to play music and run with this to find out what more can be done and at what price point.

But i think the Epos M12i matches really well with the Naim. The vocals come out really nice.

it is astonishing as to how small the nait 5i looks vis a vis my CDP and yet it is very punchy where it needs to be and delicate when called for.

mpw
=======================================================

Congrats mpw!! This amp should keep you happy for a long time. Same goes to your speakers, very good combination overall. Your Marantz CDP is nice. However a good Naim CDP will take you higher in the Naim game. There is something about the way they play music together, especially connected with their DIN interconnects and proprietary power cords. Music sounds unstoppable.
However you are better off skipping their entry level CDP the CD5i, the CD5x/xs is where the fun begins in a big way. Anyway, these days CD players are going out of usage very fast so you may actually end up buying their Network players.

Coming over to the subject of warm up, I have tried it many times with all my Naim gears. Naim says 48 hours of warm up is required to get them sound their best and they are absolutely correct. The sound is so much more alive after about 2 days of warm up (just switched on), after that experience when you try listen to it cold you can immediately recognize the loss of life and excitement in sound. It is very obvious. Do not worry about Spikes and voltage disturbance in general because they designed to be very robust and well protected. Only thing you may need to worry is thunder strikes.

Yes Gobble, it is that gear.

hi ranjeet,

i must thank you too for your inputs and PM's.

about the speakers - i do not think so.. not anytime soon atleast.. they go well together.

rgds,
mpw

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back