Some info needed

jk_chaos

Hi,

Ever since venturing out into the vast audiophile world there is one question that's been dogging me.. Whats the difference between using an integrated amplifier and using a pre power combo?? How does the difference step in??
I know this may be a frequently asked question but still would be great if someone could educate me on this..

An integrated is more convenient. You get everything in a single chassis. A pre/power is more flexible. You can change either one of the two to change the sound signature of your system. Also, with a pre/power, you can mix and match with tubes and solid state with ease. Hybrid integrateds are uncommon. Also, upgrading a power amp alone can sometimes work out cheaper than upgrading an integrated to a similar level.

As far as the musical qualities go, both can achieve the same heights. Technically knowledgeable members will be able to highlight the advantages of separate chassis for pre and power amps.

Some "generalizations" here regarding differences (Yes, exceptions to generalizations may also exist)

- Pre-power combo of a given wattage will be more expensive than Integrated of same wattage of the same brand.
- Pre-power combo of a given wattage will be more refined /resolving than Integrated of same wattage of the same brand.
- Seasoned audiophiles tend to go for pre-power combo for reasons of "flexibility" (mentioned in Bluu's post above) and better sound, instead of integrateds.

Regds,

it has also to do with the power source and the heat factor. a power amp needs more power and can withstand more heat when compared to a pre amp. so when these two are mixed there is a slight compromise since the design will need to take into consideration the heat factor. this is one major factor why a pre power combo is supposed to sound better than an integrated. imo its only in really high end equipment that you will find the difference.

... this is one major factor why a pre power combo is supposed to sound better than an integrated. imo its only in really high end equipment that you will find the difference.

This is absolutely correct from my experiences as well. Also we are talking about lacs of rupees equipment to discern the difference.

Integrated amps were made famous by British manufacturers such as NAD, Creek, Mcintosh, Luxman, Musical Fidelity, ... in the 70s and early 80s for a no. of reasons of which one of the important ones was to achieve the same performance as separates through simplicity of design.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back