Something about " reclock " & "dejitter ", which I couldn't comprehend...

preston8452

Hi y'all,

Firstly, sorry to bring out this old question again, but recently I just received this inquiry from my friend who is also on his way to digital streaming though, as we were discuss whether a network switch would help or not like everyone else, he sorta struck me with this, " Based on some researches, I found that most hi-end or high quality digital audio devices would reclock and dejitter signals on the arrival anyway, so what's the possible benefit of doing that in a network switch prior to arrival? "

I was speechless lol, because I didn't know about this, and I bough a network switch myself actually, so I seriously would like to prove my point to him!

If you guys have some insightful opinions regarding this question, please do share, I'm dying to learn...

Best,

Hi y'all,

Firstly, sorry to bring out this old question again, but recently I just received this inquiry from my friend who is also on his way to digital streaming though, as we were discuss whether a network switch would help or not like everyone else, he sorta struck me with this, " Based on some researches, I found that most hi-end or high quality digital audio devices would reclock and dejitter signals on the arrival anyway, so what's the possible benefit of doing that in a network switch prior to arrival? "

I was speechless lol, because I didn't know about this, and I bough a network switch myself actually, so I seriously would like to prove my point to him!

If you guys have some insightful opinions regarding this question, please do share, I'm dying to learn...

Best,

I am not a techhead but over time have figured out some of the below

"Data" flowing for music can be in the Time domain ie there is a clock signal sent along with the data so that the timing of music is defined. simply put what plays when. This is what is contained in a SPDIF signal from a transport to a DAC. Now several events can happen here
1. The clock signal can get affected during transmission and hence cause an issue with the sound- this is called a jitter. There are several reasons for jitter including cable impact.
2. The transmission clock itself is not a good quality hence the signal is not so precise
3. The DAC circuit is not able to decode the clock signal to the degree of accuracy needed etc

There are devices which have something called a PLL circuit which extracts the clock signal. re-clocks/ corrects it and then resends it back . I have used such a device from Monarchy Audio in the past which did that but once I had a better transport , had to remove it to simplify the chain due to no impact.

The other type of Data is are the ones flowing on USB cables which do not have a clock hence the streamer reads it and puts in the clock signal before sending it to the dac. if course dacs with build in USB will do all of the above in one box

Many of source devices have an input for an external clock so you can feed them with a high quality clock bypassing their internal clock as well

If reclocking and dejitter was so simple then why there are crystal oscillators of so many price class.. totl products have totl class clocks, budget products have budget class clocks. So every clock is not dejittering to the same quality level.
It's always better to send a purer signal to the dac/Streamer so it doesn't need to overwork to purify it.. as we know prevention is always better then cure.
Even though i don't have any experience with audiophile network switchs, but i have found audiophile network cables do improve the sound over basic cables and in case of usb cables quite a bit.

Of course its always better to have devices with better clocks. Some like DCS etc recommend an external clock and have an pretty expensive clocks to go with that as well.

In fact many CD mods also have options of upgrading your clock ( which needs to be matched since the frequencies differ)
It is when you have an entry/mid fi level component, where rather than spending that much extra on a source you can go for a device like this. and obviously the better source you have the lower is the need for a PLL device

But the principle is very simple

Hi y'all,

Best,
That’s true. And not only about that. The power supply is also ‘cleansed’ at the device level. So power conditioner is not required.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back