Sonodyne Avant speakers : A detailed review....

elangoas

Hi All,

Wanted to share with you my experience of choosing speakers & HT Setup... Happy reading....

My sincere thanks to each & everyone of the forum from whom i have learnt various aspects of audio/video components thru various discussions/ threads...

Sonodyne Avant Range of speakers are the flagship product of Sonodyne Home Audio product range...They are made of die-cast aluminium, though looks industrial, they look pleasing to the eyes...

tgiw.jpg

b7e2.jpg

lal1.jpg

ka5d.jpg

hs9c.jpg

qpsk.jpg

This setup was for my younger brother who is a bass head & had a stereo setup (2.1) NAD C326 + Mission M35 FS + Sonodyne SLF 200 Ai (Studio Monitor series subwoofer)he really likes to crank up volume until the windows start rattling... Though the setup was good, bass management was missing... FS were running full range & subwoofer set to 45- 50Hz.. But i still felt the bass was too much & overpowering....

His requirements were simple setup 2.1...more of movie watching, HD/SD broadcasts & casual stereo listening... What happens with stereo amplifier is the movie (Blue Ray Rips) which has multi channel soundtrack (5.1) was downconverted to 2.0 & then made 2.1... This was not right... For stereo this was ok because making 2.0 -> 2.1 is fine... But not with movies...

So i suggested him to reconsider the setup with an AVR, BS+Subwoofer combo as it would have bass management. He was ready for any of my suggestion & experimentation and readily agreed...

My recommendations were 3.1/5.1 setup with an used AVR.. The reason for suggesting an used AVR was he had an LG 42 inch Plasma which didn't have ARC over HDMI & No digital output (Optical/Co-axial Output). The old AVR with digital inputs can still work with BRRIps with DTS/DD content, so why spend 50K when you not going to use the features... Instead thought of investing on good speakers & used AVR for 10 - 15K & then upgrade the AVR when he upgrades the TV with HDMI ARC function...

Why Sonodyne Avant speakers :

-> Not many of us can afford flagship products... They will definitely cost you an arm & leg... there are of course brands like Monitor Audio, Mordaunt Short, PSB, Wharfedale & so on...But Sonodyne Avant speakers appealed to me, because of their pricing & material used for construction... Aluminum being he top enclosure for speakers than MDF & more importantly affordable..... Every other speaker had advanced tweeters/midrange blah blah ...But affordable?...

-> When the primary purpose is watching movies, there is no point spending on expensive FS & when you have the SUB crossed over @ 70 HZ... Instead high sensitivity satellite speakers like these do a much better job....The speakers that come with any HTIB models are often low on sensitivity.. starts anywhere from 82db to 86 db...Avant range is 90 db efficient...So any entry level AVR/ modest power should bring the Avant to life very easily....

There were no reviews on the net (Expect AVMAX review) & not many on this forum have this speakers...

I had borrowed Avant LCR 250 from chennai dealer for a weeks audition as a center channel speaker paired with Marantz SR 5200 AVR...I must say that the clarity in dialogues were just exceptionally good and haven't heard any speaker in the price of 15K to be that good....

So decided that Sonodyne Avant it should be.. so placed order of 3 pieces for Avant LCR 250 from hifimart.com.. They were prompt in shipping, but when it comes to delivery in rural areas (50 kms away from chennai), they just refuse as they cannot deliver in that area citing bloody stupid reasons...

I don't think being in a village is a SIN....

I have gotten used to this treatment for long, so went along with my brother in his car to the courier collection point & collected the speakers which was 25 kms away from my home... Stupid idea to pay shipping charges...

Anyways coming to the listening experience...

Components used by him : 42 LG Plasma (HD Ready), WD TV live, NAD CD Player, Videocon HD STB, Onkyo TX SR 603 (Bought used one for 15K), Sonodyne SLF 200Ai subwoofer...

Source material used : Blue Ray movies - internet downloads with DTS mostly lossy full bit rate (~ 1540 Kbps) & Half bit rate (~750 Kbps) & of course Dolby Digital @ Variable bit rates....

Connectivity : For movies - WDTV optical out --> AVR Optical in : For TV - Digital Co-axial out from HDSTB -> AVR Co-axial in : For Music - NAD CD player Co-axial out -> AVR co-axial in..

Listening Area : 250 Sqft (11 feet wide x 22 feet length). All three speakers mounted to the 11 feet wall... The seating position is around 15 feet from the speakers...

Speaker placement : The left & right speakers were placed to corner of the wall & toed in @ approx 30 degrees directed towards listening position...

jpp3.jpg

xth4.jpg

MX Banana Plugs
dn2ws.jpg

p7oi.jpg

lhtc.jpg

AVR Settings : changed to 3.1, as yet to buy surrounds (Avant 150),Avant LCR 250 is a 90 db efficient & 100Hz is waht it can handle maximum... speakers set to SMALL & crossover set to 100Hz for the Sub.....

Movie watching experience which i think made difference :

The Grey (English) :wolves howls in the movie.. Juz felt they were right in the room....Flight crash scene & sounds of winds after crash & of course wolves were simply a treat on these speakers...

Rio : clear sounds of birds chirping

Toy story 3 : Opening scene of the movie, the train chase down, & train falling down from the broken bridge with explosion....

Sri rama Rajyam (Telugu): a epic movie with rich background score / songs...I could hear the flapping of the chariot in the "Jagadananda Karake song" which i never heard in my Sonus speaker center channel (Sonus C 2401).

Angadi Theru (Tamil) : Right @ the start of the movie in the bus-stand scene, when the person talk on the phone, there is actually FM playing the background.. Havent heard this on my Sonus....

Jodha Akbar (Hindi) : Clear & distinct dialogues

If the clarity in the speakers are good, it elevates the normal movie watching experience @ out home.. Moreover they also make you addictive to watching movies...

We were extremely impressed by the way movies played on the speakers with good amount of details...

The movie watching was really good because 5.1 is presented as 3.1... (.1) is left left untouched in AVR...This was not happening in stereo setup as explained above....

Listening to Music (Stereo): Stereo mode on the AVR (2.1) mode.. AVR set @ same 100Hz for crossover....Speakers set to SMALL (Same as above setting for movies)

This is a new listening experience for us as we have listened to BS/FS with AVR... But first time high sensitive Satellite speakers + Subwoofer...

Since crossover set ot 100Hz, there was no bass speaker from the fronts... Juz sub taking care of the entire bass... This was good experience

We have huge collection of FLAC & WV ( Film songs).. They all sounded good... But as i said new experience....

Watching HD Broadcasts (Stereo) : Stereo mode on the AVR (2.1) mode.. AVR set @ same 100Hz for crossover....Speakers set to SMALL (Same as above setting for movies)

strange thing that i noticed was that advertisements started sounding more detailed between movie breaks/ reality show break timings....Again anything reproduced from the speaker had pristine clarity...

The idea is to build 7.2/9.2 channel system with an AVR like Onkyo TX NR 929 / Yamaha Aventage RXA 1030 model when he upgrades to a TV with HDMI ARC function... Until then this will suffice & thought to share the experience....

Who should consider Avant.... Anyone whose movie watching pattern is more, have HTIB sets & want to upgrade to a better speaker can consider this (or) someone building a dedicated HT system with casual stereo listening.....

Sorry abt the post being lengthy, i tried to cover the actual viewing/listening experience of movies/music/TV...

The next experience which i will sharing is about the Sonodyne SRP series (Active speakers for home)....

There were no reviews on the net (Expect AVMAX review) & not many on this forum have this speakers...
Now, here is one and you've set the ball in motion. Thanks for the review!

I had borrowed Avant LCR 250 from chennai dealer for a weeks audition as a center channel speaker paired with Marantz SR 5200 AVR...I must say that the clarity in dialogues were just exceptionally good and haven't heard any speaker in the price of 15K to be that good....

So decided that Sonodyne Avant it should be.. so placed order of 3 pieces for Avant LCR 250 from hifimart.com.. They were prompt in shipping, but when it comes to delivery in rural areas (50 kms away from chennai), they just refuse as they cannot deliver in that area citing bloody stupid reasons...

I don't think being in a village is a SIN....

I have gotten used to this treatment for long, so went along with my brother in his car to the courier collection point & collected the speakers which was 25 kms away from my home... Stupid idea to pay shipping charges...

It's time for these people to wake up. Any village in Tiruvallur district is well connected by road; that too, within the vicinity of Chennai. As a nation, we've to develop a lot. Sorry for my rant; but can't help it! :(

The next experience which i will sharing is about the Sonodyne SRP series (Active speakers for home)....

Looking forward to it.

It's time for these people to wake up. Any village in Tiruvallur district is well connected by road; that too, within the vicinity of Chennai. As a nation, we've to develop a lot. Sorry for my rant; but can't help it! :(

You are absolutely right....As far as i have noticed, only professional couriers deliver to my place... The rest all, call up & ask us to collect from their collection point....Hope the situation changes soon...

I do understand your preferences of sticking to hifimart.com.

How about the Sonodyne dealer in Chennai? Isn't he willing to get it delivered to your place, especially you being an ardent fan of the same? May be, you should talk to the bosses at Kolkatta HO to make you an ambassador for the company :eek:hyeah:

Cheers!
BK

I do understand your preferences of sticking to hifimart.com.

How about the Sonodyne dealer in Chennai? Isn't he willing to get it delivered to your place, especially you being an ardent fan of the same? May be, you should talk to the bosses at Kolkatta HO to make you an ambassador for the company :eek:hyeah:

Cheers!
BK

The dealer in chennai is not continuing with Sonodyne any more.... I was the last customer to him for Sonodyne products (My Sonus speakers)... Since there was no representation in chennai, hifimart was a better choice...

Thanks for your compliment... I had received similar comments when i had written a review for Sonodyne Sonus 2605 FS a year back.....

In the last 4 years in this forum, i have not seen a single review for any of the Sonodyne product....

Since i have been using their products for quite sometime, took the initiative of sharing my experience... At Least someone could benefit.....

Apart from Sonodyne, i had shared my experience with Mission M35i FS, Woxi Smartpod (Andrioid TV Box) also in the review section of the forum...

Good review elango..

And shocked couriers dont deliver in tiruvallur!!

Thanks Raghav....To be precise, we live 10 kms before (Aranvoyal Village) you hit the Tiruvallur town on the chennai -> poonamalle -> tiruvallur highway...

Very few deliver, the rest don't... The frequent reason that we hear from them is " there are no other goods to be delivered in & around around your location.. So we can't make it ...".

I believe petrol/diesel cost to deliver the goods from their collection point to our location is an other challenge for them.. Hence these reasons...

BTW i have paired the Sonodyne Avant with 3 different AVR's until now...

Marantz SR 5200, Harman Kardon AVR 145 & Onkyo TX SR 603....

Marantz SR 5200 (Lush & warm sounding, extremely refined) - No fatigue, as smooth as silk..:eek:hyeah:

Onkyo TX SR 603 (Very clear sound like pin stripes) - No fatigue, but could feel the brightness here & there but doesn't harm the ears....

Harman Kardon AVR 145 (Midrange was little muddy, not as clear as Marantz & Onkyo) still Ok kind of presentation which doesn't impress you as Marantz/Onkyo.... Also you need to push the volume level close to the limits on the HK 145 to get anything room filling...

Of the above three AVR's, the best pairing was Marantz SR 5200...But Onkyo AVR sounds the best for movies...

Good review elangoas, thanks for the same. Your thought about an affordable flagship makes sense. Hope it gives your brother tons of enjoyment. Will you be using the same for surrounds as well ?

Good review elangoas, thanks for the same. Your thought about an affordable flagship makes sense. Hope it gives your brother tons of enjoyment. Will you be using the same for surrounds as well ?

Thanks vkirti...Yeah, he enjoys movies to the fullest on these speakers....

For the surrounds, we have considered Avant 150... which retails for 20K per pair...Avant LCR250 would be excellent choice for surrounds as well, since same drivers & timbre matching for all speakers.... but pricing will be around 35K per pair....

Thanks for the question...:eek:hyeah: Am tentative on the surrounds Between 150/250, but more tilted to 250....

Yes the 250's should round them out and you will have the same signature. I have been toying with the idea of having a separate system for movies, similar to what you have done, will try and see if i can demo them someplace.

Yes the 250's should round them out and you will have the same signature. I have been toying with the idea of having a separate system for movies, similar to what you have done, will try and see if i can demo them someplace.

Great....Try them.... The should be good for dedicated HT room....

Thanks for the detailed review Elango... I personally like reading your posts/threads on the forum. :eek:hyeah:

No Sonodyne employee was ever, ever, able to explain their product in such detail during my audition experience in Bangalore & Calcutta. IMO Sonodyne owes you a lot bro, for the amount of information you have provided previously on the 2605s and now on the Avant series... :cheers:

You are also responsible for their sales indirectly as your threads get picked up when searching for Sonodyne reviews in Google!!!! :clapping:

Thanks for the detailed review Elango... I personally like reading your posts/threads on the forum. :eek:hyeah:

Thanks for the compliment buddy...:)

No Sonodyne employee was ever, ever, able to explain their product in such detail during my audition experience in Bangalore & Calcutta. IMO Sonodyne owes you a lot bro, for the amount of information you have provided previously on the 2605s and now on the Avant series... :cheers:

My learning was thru this forum, hence sharing it to rest to the best of my abilities....

When i joined this forum (4 yrs back), there was no one who would recommend Sonodyne to anyone... Now at-least i could see, Sonodyne are being suggested here & there...

You are also responsible for their sales indirectly as your threads get picked up when searching for Sonodyne reviews in Google!!!! :clapping:

Am glad if they make good sales....

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back