Sonodyne Genie 1 vs Polk audio TL1600

rajivmenon15

Hello guys,

I have narrowed down my choice for a home theatre system (5.1) to the below two options:

1) Sonodyne Genie 1satellite speakers
2) Polk Audio TL1600

Any suggestions/ reviews on the above brand will be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Hello guys,

I have narrowed down my choice for a home theatre system (5.1) to the below two options:

2) Polk Audio TL1600

Thanks in advance

If you are open to other (better) options, please state your budget.. What is your AVR?..

Hi... my budget is around 30-40k. Avr I have not bought yet.. but have almost finalised Denon x550bt... so in total my budget is around 70k. Also I am not a very big music buff, but just wanted a decent enough home theatre system in my home for good movie and music experience..

Last edited:
Hi... my budget is around 30-40k. Avr I have not bought yet.. but have almost finalised Denon x550bt... so in total my budget is around 70k. Also I am not a very big music buff, but just wanted a decent enough home theatre system in my home for good movie and music experience..

Hi

Firstly welcome to HFV!

Visit Profx in Mumbai and Audition the Polk TL1600 ...typically would be hooked to Denon or Yamaha AVR......see what discount they can offer as there is still competition with dealers and most of them to stay in business would do the same.....

There are many shops and dealers in Mumbai......(Visit Fairdeal - Crawford Market & Vile Parle, MZ Audio - Bandra, The Den - Worli, Sound Out - Heera Panna, Total Home Theatres - Nariman Point, The Shop - Andheri West, etc)

Online there are many sites who sell at cheaper rates....ensure you check all options and warranty.......if purchasing brand new......

You can also just get the AVR first with a pair of front speakers and then later add the center, surrounds and subwoofer when budget permits....

If you want to have a nice hi end system and not too keen on Bluetooth or Wifi or Dolby Atmos, there is a lot of nice stuff available over OLX within your budget (pre owned ofcourse...being sold by individuals). Some examples

https://www.olx.in/item/7-2-marantz...a-theatre-experience-ID1r4WzN.html#94764e228e

https://www.olx.in/item/yamaha-sw215-active-subwoofer-in-good-condition-ID1rhshR.html#fa393d731c

https://www.olx.in/item/a26-boston-...akers-for-quick-sale-ID1qT6Pt.html#60dfdc4e2b

https://www.olx.in/item/denon-avr-x500-av-receiver-ID1rlyjL.html#aceb55d87d

All the best

but have almost finalised Denon x550bt... so in total my budget is around 70k.

Ok.. Any 5.1 AVR is good to begin with.. Denon x 550bt is just fine.. So i guess that should cost abt 30K or so..

For speaker package, you may consider Taga Harmony TAV series (406/506) either from amazon.in (or) hifimart.com.. roughly ~ 22K..

You may consider a subwoofer from Taga Harmony TSW 90 /120 for approx 18 ~ 22K.. This should help you complete a good 5.1 HT set-up..

Wow... didn’t expect such quick replies... thanks a lot guys for your valuable suggestions... will surely give Taga a try... however just for my curiosity wanted to know if the choice is only between Polk audio tl1600 and Sonodyne Genie 1, then which one would it be...

however just for my curiosity wanted to know if the choice is only between Polk audio tl1600 and Sonodyne Genie 1, then which one would it be...

Sonodyne..

Both are satellite systems, which need to be used with subwoofeers..

Some differences between the two..

Polk TL1600 is speaker made of plastic.. Sonodyne Genie 1 enclosure is made from Aluminum..

Polk TL1600 comes with 8inch active subwoofer..

With Genie series, don't think it comes with subwoofer.. So you are at the advantage of choosing your sub according to your budget..

Sonodyne..

Both are satellite systems, which need to be used with subwoofeers..

Some differences between the two..

Polk TL1600 is speaker made of plastic.. Sonodyne Genie 1 enclosure is made from Aluminum..

Polk TL1600 comes with 8inch active subwoofer..

With Genie series, don't think it comes with subwoofer.. So you are at the advantage of choosing your sub according to your budget..
Thanks a lot elangoas.

it is better to audition and explore the many systems to get a better idea.....you should not regret your purchase later .....make an informed decision.

it is better to audition and explore the many systems to get a better idea.....you should not regret your purchase later .....make an informed decision.
Yes, will do that... I did chk sonodyne and Polk audio and took demo for both... I personally liked sonodyne a little better... as I said before, I’m not a big music buff... was just looking for a decent home theatre system for my home.... I also heard some good reviews abt Wharfedale... will try to see if I can get some demo for it... what are your takes on Wharfedale as opposed to sonodyne in the same price range systems...

Hello guys,

2) Polk Audio TL1600

Thanks in advance
I recently bought Denon x550bt + Focal Sib Evo 5.1. (19/01) Go to Fairdeal Marinelines and you will get the best price (70K) both.
Regarding quality, I found Focal Sib Evo 5.1 is much much better than Polk Tl1600. Don't go for sonodyne. seee the specs of Focal Website.

I recently bought Denon x550bt + Focal Sib Evo 5.1. (19/01) Go to Fairdeal Marinelines and you will get the best price (70K) both.
Regarding quality, I found Focal Sib Evo 5.1 is much much better than Polk Tl1600. Don't go for sonodyne. seee the specs of Focal Website.
Just curious if u had a chance to compare the both system... coz I did not compare the both at the same time, however individually when I had compared them, I still had liked sonodyne a little better...

Yes, will do that... I did chk sonodyne and Polk audio and took demo for both... I personally liked sonodyne a little better... as I said before, I’m not a big music buff... was just looking for a decent home theatre system for my home.... I also heard some good reviews abt Wharfedale... will try to see if I can get some demo for it... what are your takes on Wharfedale as opposed to sonodyne in the same price range systems...

Hi

If your viewing distance is around 14 feet distance then you will need to really crank up the volume for the satellite speakers to perform. It would be advisable to get a decent AVR and Bookshelf type speakers....if going for new then it will be an expensive affair..you have the option to built the system slowly.

If going the pre owned route, (OLX or HFV classifieds) , you can get a good powerful AVR which saves the headache of cranking upto full volume. Also noticed that you want a basic 5.1 setup to enjoy a decent HT experience, see the links I have shared, you can make a mix and match of the system and have a good one.

Audition where possible and take a call...after all you will be the end use not us! Trust your instincts. Go for the AVR whose features you will use today....nothing comes future proof,,,,,models keep changing every year. What is bliss for me can be poison for you!

Hi

If your viewing distance is around 14 feet distance then you will need to really crank up the volume for the satellite speakers to perform. It would be advisable to get a decent AVR and Bookshelf type speakers....if going for new then it will be an expensive affair..you have the option to built the system slowly.

If going the pre owned route, (OLX or HFV classifieds) , you can get a good powerful AVR which saves the headache of cranking upto full volume. Also noticed that you want a basic 5.1 setup to enjoy a decent HT experience, see the links I have shared, you can make a mix and match of the system and have a good one.

Audition where possible and take a call...after all you will be the end use not us! Trust your instincts. Go for the AVR whose features you will use today....nothing comes future proof,,,,,models keep changing every year. What is bliss for me can be poison for you!

Thanks a lot for that valuable suggestion efernand 1. Will surely keep this in mind and review my options again...

Just curious if u had a chance to compare both systems... coz I did not compare them both at the same time, however individually when I had compared them, I still had liked sonodyne a little better...
Focal sib Evo 5.1 is way better than Polk and sonodyne. these are basically bookshelves type speaker with a frequency response from 67 Hz to 25khz with 5" cone also sub is class D type (200watts) has very crisp bass where Polk has the only 50watts sub. I have read thousands of reviews about both and then decided to buy this. Denon 550 is entry level good amp.

My room size is also 14feet. and it sounds best. I advise you to take audition of both systems. Don't waste time behind sonodyne.

Focal sib Evo 5.1 is way better than Polk and sonodyne. these are basically bookshelves type speaker with a frequency response from 67 Hz to 25khz with 5" cone also sub is class D type (200watts) has very crisp bass where Polk has the only 50watts sub. I have read thousands of reviews about both and then decided to buy this. Denon 550 is entry level good amp.

My room size is also 14feet. and it sounds best. I advise you to take audition of both systems. Don't waste time behind sonodyne.
Thanks Harshit... will surely try focal again

in low budget Elac cinema 5 or 10is also good speakers. one of the members wants to sell it used speakers

"
If you're interested, the photo of my setup is in my post history.
Here are the details:
Elac Cinema 10 front Left, Right, Center - 20k
Elac Cinema 5 rear right, rear left - 7k
Bic V1220 12" subwoofer -18k
Can sell the full set for 40k
I also have the full Elac Cinema 5 set with me, but this Cinema 10 is a true upgrade. If you want the Elac Cinema 5 5.0 + Bic, can sell it for 30k.
"

I think it might help

in low budget Elac cinema 5 or 10is also good speakers. one of the members wants to sell it used speakers

"
If you're interested, the photo of my setup is in my post history.
Here are the details:
Elac Cinema 10 front Left, Right, Center - 20k
Elac Cinema 5 rear right, rear left - 7k
Bic V1220 12" subwoofer -18k
Can sell the full set for 40k
I also have the full Elac Cinema 5 set with me, but this Cinema 10 is a true upgrade. If you want the Elac Cinema 5 5.0 + Bic, can sell it for 30k.
"

I think it might help
Ok... I’ll review it.. thanks for the suggestion.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back