Sonodyne PM100 struggles!

sh0080

Thought of sharing a 'not so great experience' here and get some feedback.

Post a good 3-4 months spent into researching studio monitors, had jumped into acquiring a pair of Sonodyne PM100 monitors and a Yamaha WXC 50 pre amp.
Unfortunately the system has not lives upto my expecations of spending a good 65k.
While the mid range is ok - the system does not have a 'booming' low end.
If you do end up tweaking to the low end - the mid and highs go for a toss.
It is a disappointing experience and would not recommend this setup to most. A passive setup with QAccoustics, Wharfdale paired with Marantz would be much better. Spending another good thousands on a subwoofer is also not of much use.

Am also looking for any suggestions on improving the sound experience of the system further.
Thanks!

Thought of sharing a 'not so great experience' here and get some feedback.

Post a good 3-4 months spent into researching studio monitors, had jumped into acquiring a pair of Sonodyne PM100 monitors and a Yamaha WXC 50 pre amp.
Unfortunately the system has not lives upto my expecations of spending a good 65k.
While the mid range is ok - the system does not have a 'booming' low end.
If you do end up tweaking to the low end - the mid and highs go for a toss.
It is a disappointing experience and would not recommend this setup to most. A passive setup with QAccoustics, Wharfdale paired with Marantz would be much better. Spending another good thousands on a subwoofer is also not of much use.

Am also looking for any suggestions on improving the sound experience of the system further.
Thanks!
Have you tried experimenting with the positioning as well as checking the speaker in different rooms?

I've found that the best of speakers with a fantastic bottom end sound anaemic, lifeless and bass light if not positioned correctly no matter what amp or source you deploy.

Also, some rooms just have bad acoustic properties which just can't be resolved with speaker positioning so you might have to move your setup altogether.

Don't write off your equipment just yet. You might be in for a surprise and how...

Last edited:
Have you tried experimenting with the positioning as well as checking the speaker in different rooms?

I've found that the best of speakers with a fantastic bottom end sound anaemic, lifeless and bass light if not positioned correctly no matter what amp or source you deploy.

Also, some rooms just have bad acoustic properties and which can't be resolved with speaker positioning either so you might have to move your setup altogether.

Don't write off your equipment just yet. You might be in for a surprise and how...
Okay. Any suggestions on monitor setup? I will read up on this as well. Have got them a feet and half apart currently on a solid wood table two and half feet above the ground and close to a wall.

Okay. Any suggestions on monitor setup? I will read up on this as well. Have got them a feet and half apart currently on a solid wood table two and half feet above the ground and close to a wall.
As in near field setup?

You'll have to research a bit on that. I Haven't deployed a nearfield setup in donkey years. But a quick, albeit expensive fix is to add a sub if nothing else works out.
Okay. Suggestions of a good sub in the market for this setup?

Okay. Suggestions of a good sub in the market for this setup?
The sky is the limit when it comes to subs so always specify a budget for more relevant suggestions (unless of course, the sky is the limit for your budget as well ;))

Not considering a new speaker setup yet. Mostly a sub - have zeroed in on Yamaha SW200 tht fits my buget and would pair well with the yamaha XC50. Any feedback on the Yamaha SW200?
I had the sw300. Good for music but suffers from rattles and port noise if pushed during scenes with extremely low frequencies while watching movies. Check out the Q Acoustics QB12 at 45K. The thing is fantastic and all the sub you'd need for a long time.

I had the sw300. Good for music but suffers from rattles and port noise if pushed during scenes with extremely low frequencies while watching movies. Check out the Q Acoustics QB12 at 45K. The thing is fantastic and all the sub you'd need for a long time.
Thanks. Any views on the Taga subs? They are in the 25-30k budget range I have. QA may be super good but not sure of the additional 15k to be spent.

Thanks. Any views on the Taga subs? They are in the 25-30k budget range I have. QA may be super good but not sure of the additional 15k to be spent.
No idea about Taga subs. But you may reconsider making the stretch now (or saving up a bit) as otherwise, you could find yourself stretching your hand towards your wallet pretty soon again.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back