Sonodyne SRP Series (Active Speakers) : A casual listening experience

elangoas

Hi All,

I had an opportunity to hear Sonodyne Active speakers (SRP Series) @ at Musee musicals,Chennai... This is my first hand experience with Active speakers... I don't own the credit of judging a speaker... But what i intend to share is a casual listening experience...

Sonodyne SRP range for Studio

SONODYNE

For someone who is already aware of what active speakers are, please skip to Listening experience...For those who are not aware, please read on.... I have written this based on my understanding after reading many articles & my understanding... (Someone who finds the below statement to the incorrect, please feel free to correct)...

I will try to put it in simple terms

What we use @ home are passive speakers: Stereo amplifier / AVR + any speaker combo is passive. The signal is first amplified & then split between the speaker crossover component (Tweeter, midrange/bass drivers)..

What are powered speakers : Powered speakers carry common amplifier (For tweeter & mid-range/bass drivers) inside the speaker but still works on the passive crossover as explained above..

What are Active speakers : Active speakers are little different.. The tweeter & mid-range driver carry induvidual amplifiers (Bi-amped)... The signal is first split based on the speaker crossover & then amplified...This is said to be the best amplification method & that is why most of the professional studio speakers are Active....

Here are some pictures...( These were clicked thru mobiles) plz excuse me for the poor quality.

6rcm.jpg

6ks2.jpg

ziw1.jpg

SRP 350

4ud9.jpg

jrd8.jpg

c6je.jpg

3pe7.jpg

ofrp.jpg

2u7v.jpg

ma1j.jpg

Now the Listening experience...

I had an USB drive with some FLAC material... Mostly film songs {Jodhaa Akbar (hindi), Barfi (Hindi), Aashique 2 (Hindi), Sri Rama Rajyam (telugu), Neethane enn ponvasantham (tamil)}.

The speakers were connected to professional equipment (Preamp + DAC).. Didn't pay attention to these, but was informed that they are of high quality...

4 pairs of speakers were connected to the that premap + DAC -> SRP 800 (extreme ends), SRP 600 the next speakers, SRP 500 & SRP 400 (the speakers immediately after the table).

I requested them to play some songs from USB which i have heard many times on my Sonodyne Sonus speakers...I was seated approx 5 feet from the speakers...

Each song was played starting from the from the smallest speaker (SRP 400)to biggest speaker (SRP 800)..

The first song that was played was " Azeem-O-Shaan Shahenshah" from Jodha Akbar...

I couldn't feel much bass from the smaller speakers, as they started playing in the bigger speakers, the bass was clean, good & neat.....There was no big thump, but you could feel the bass....Not the usual one that i heard @ home which had a little boom (i relaise this after listening to this song on professional applications speakers). Am not really sure if this is what they call it as colouring to the sound....

The next song was "Khwaja Mere Khwaja" again from Jodha Akbar...

This was splendid listening on any of the SRP speakers they played....I could feel as if the Harmoniums were played right in front me & there were no one else in the room... Was simply feeling superb...

Now change in Album - Aashique 2 - multiple songs played, the listening was good, much better than what i heard @ home with my Sonodyne sonus speakers, equally impressive as Jodhaa Akbar... But Jodha Akbar songs were distinct....

Next one was Barfi - Again multiple songs played, I don't know for some reason i could feel the bass but not the thump which i get @ home... May be professional Audio is meant to be like that..

I check with the person playing the songs if the signal (sound) was touched before it was played on the speakers, he confirmed that he didn't alter anything & it is playing as it was recorded...

Next Album was - Sri Rama Rajyam (Telugu)- Song "Jagadananda Karaka".. This is a song with more

of classical instruments.. i could hear rich instrumentation.

next one was - Neethaane En Ponvasantham (Tamil) - Multiple songs played... I liked the " sayndhu sayndhu" song one of my favourite...Few songs were not played completely, but skipped to next songs when they finished half....

Would have spent close to 30 mins listenign to multiple songs... Was a very nice listening experience.. Hence though to share with you all.....

If there was a speaker which i was impressed with, i would say two of them...

SRP 350 - Smallest Active speakers with 3 inch driver (Plenty of details) & little bass
SRP 800 - Biggest active speakers with 8 inch drivers (Outstanding bass that i have heard)

I got to know that there will be new Range of Active speakers for Home Audio from Sonodyne based on SRP series which i believe is updated in below link.

SONODYNE

If i get to hear the SRP series for home audio, will have a listen & then share my experience....

Thanks for reading... I will be up with my next experience with my Onkyo TX NR 818 in Audyssey DSX mode using Front wide channels.....

@elangoas, i would love it if you can audition the opus series (preferably 3100) and post your feedback. I'm wondering what it would be like to have the Opus LCR in a HT setup. I request you to put this on your audition list.

elangoas, did you happen to get the price of these speakers

Did they have SM 300 with them, did you get to listen to them ?

@elangoas, i would love it if you can audition the opus series (preferably 3100) and post your feedback. I'm wondering what it would be like to have the Opus LCR in a HT setup. I request you to put this on your audition list.

@sash - Sure... I learnt that Decibel,Chennai would be the dealer for Sonodyne Active range of speakers.... When i get an audition, will share my experience...

Active speakers for a Home theater is a really good idea...Especially for LCR... You are almost replicating a proper theater @ home...:eek:hyeah:

elangoas, did you happen to get the price of these speakers

Did they have SM 300 with them, did you get to listen to them ?

@cybercat - Yes.. I had the pricelist...But missed to update them... Will update in sometime....

They didn't have SM300... The entire SRP series were there for audition...

Did some investigation on Sonodyne website Studio (SRP) / Home audio (SRP).... Here are some findings...

The technical specifications of Home Audio (SRP) range is not as detailed as Studio range SRP, may be they thought some features of studio are redundant for home audio...

They are almost identical in dimensions, weight.....The studio series have been renamed/rebadged as Home audio with different numbers...

SRP 350 has been renamed as SRP 201 - MRP is 18,500/-(Price is per speaker)
SRP 400 as SRP 202 - MRP 26,000/-
SRP 500 as SRP 203 - MRP 40,000/-
SRP 600 as SRP 204 - MRP 52,000/-
SRP 800 as SRP 205 - MRP 65,500/-.

@cybercat : SM 300 is 90,000/- per speaker

They also have subwoofer.. But i don't have any details....

Sash:3100 is yet not in the racks at Kolkata.
Opus 2200 will simply blow you away.Mrp 150000 a pair.

Here is the most updated list.... (Price is for single)

Model Brief description MRP all inc

SRP 201 30 watt biamplified speaker 18,400.00
SRP 202 50 watt biamplified speaker 28,200.00
SRP 203 100 watt biamplified speaker, DSP balanced 43,300.00

SRP WB1 Wall bracket for SRP 201, 202 670.00
SRP WB2 Wall bracket for SRP 203 830.00

DAC P1 24 bit, 96 kHz processing; 3 digital, 3 analogue inputs 22,500.00

Opus 2100 130 watt biamplified speaker, DSP balanced 57,750.00
Opus 2200 225 watt biamplified seaker, DSP balanced 73,500.00
Opus 3100 300 watt triamplied speaker, DSP balanced 1,14,200.00
Opus 3300 400 watt triamplified tower speaker, DSP balanced 1,99,500.00

Opus FS 1 Adjustable Floor stand for Opus, SRP 5,650.00

Opus S 6 60 watt 6" active sub with bass management 22,300.00
Opus S 8 120, watt 8" active sub with bass management 32,800.00
Opus S 10 200 watt 10" active sub with bass management 45,950.00
Opus S 12 300 watt 12"active sub with bass management 59,050.00

Last edited:
Elangos
I am thinking of going for a full Sonodyne setup for the library under construction in our office. I need four wall mount speakers with amp or actives and a DAC/pre for this 1000 sqft. hall under a narrow budget (< 150k). Any recommendations? Do you have the complete rate list of Sonodyne, if yes please PM me the same.

Elangos
I am thinking of going for a full Sonodyne setup for the library under construction in our office. I need four wall mount speakers with amp or actives and a DAC/pre for this 1000 sqft. hall under a narrow budget (< 150k). Any recommendations? Do you have the complete rate list of Sonodyne, if yes please PM me the same.

Hi Santy,

Great.... For a library, i think you may not need a big speaker that can play really loud....In that scenario, i think you can consider SRP 201/202 with there own DAC+Pre-amp....

The price-list that i updated in this thread is what i had for Active's...

Hi
Thanks for this old thread.
Just heard the srp 202 (srp 400) today!
Was very impressive. It sounded absolutely amazing for its size.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back