sonodyne systems

yassh

this thread is for people who want to know about sonodyne systems which r underrated

experts please introduce and compare denon ,yamaha,marantz,onkyo,,jamo,jbl,b&w ,bose..........etc .etc. with sonodyne
in terms of quality ,value for money and services

Sonodyne speakers are quite well accepted in eastern India.Their Sanus range of floorstanders and the famous Genie range of speakers are good value for the buck they command.However, I have observed one strange thing about these speakers that no two Sonodyne speakers (even of the same model ) sound the same.Didn't get a chance to check their AVR and other electronics.:)

the genie 1 has been a big hit in the areas of custom/commercial installation. i feel, considering their quality and price, they are not very bad. i myself used sonodyne bookshelves and sub few years back.

sorry guys, but I didnt have a good experience. I took a demo last month in mumbai, atria mall, didnt like any combination I heard and had to come back disappointed since I was expecting lots.

experts please introduce and compare denon ,yamaha,marantz,onkyo,,jamo,jbl,b&w ,bose..........etc .etc. with sonodyne
in terms of quality ,value for money and services

It will be unfair to compare Sonodyne with the brands you have mentioned. Indian companies such as Sonodyne, Norge etc, do make good equipment, but that have to be auditioned separately and rated as such. Companies such as Denon, Yamaha etc., spend millions of dollars on research and have the size to even alter technology. Yamaha for example, makes it own DSP chips as well as room correction technology.

In AVRs for example, a Yamaha amp will have the capability to decode something like 17 to 20 audio codecs. A Sonodyne amp will have less than 5. In two channel, a reputed manufacturer will include a slew of features including digital inputs and advanced DAC. Indian amps will be purely analog in nature.

In addition to this, the parts (transistors, capacitiors, etc) available to international brands are literally unlimited. If an Indian brand tries to incorporate comparable parts, the product will be so expensive, you will wonder why not buy a Denon or a Yamaha.

I have done an audition of a Chennai based brand called Audiocraft. They make decent amps and speakers. (Aghhhhhh !! I must and will post the report shortly) When I audition such equipment, I do not compare them to international brands. I would rather see what they offer at their price and what is the value for people who are interested in using it. Audiocraft, for example, offer incredible VFM in the products they sell. Same is the case with Norge amplifiers.

Cheers

Compare which HTIB?

Actually I have never used or auditioned an HTIB. So if you mention a particular model, maybe I can go to a shop and see how it sounds.

Cheers

this thread is for people who want to know about sonodyne systems which r underrated

hi,Was using a pair of sonodyne powered speakers (floor standers) which came along with a powered sub and pre amplifier ,had bought them way back in 99 it was priced at abt 35k ,since choice were limited bcoz of price factor the sonodyne were pretty good at that time, but wudnt consider them now as we have better options -----------but the sonodyne system is still in perfect working condition (though usage is very limited)

venkatcr sir,
i've sent u an personalized mail regarding an avr .if possible please answer it

vencat sir not htib's (sorry for tht)actually 5.1 speaker systems.pls compare them with good brand names like tannoy,wharfedales etc..

Yassh:

The rules I applied for comparing International band amplifiers with their Indian counterparts apply to speakers also. Let me explain.

There are two types of manufacturers in India. One are manufacturers such as Audire, Lyrita, and Cadence. These people make very high end equipment, mostly for two channel stereo use. These products are very very good, and at the same time quite expensive. If you are in the market for such products, you must give some of these a serious auditioning. Buying a two channel system at this level is very individualistic and needs some serious listening and decision making.

The second type of manufacturer are localised in places such as Bangalore, Chennai, Mumbai, Delhi etc. These are people who originally had service centres and ventured into assembling amplifiers and speakers to fulfill the needs of their friends and customers. These products will have the following pros and cons:

PROS
Very reasonably priced
Good sound depending upon the manufacturer
Life long support
Flexible assembling - you can specify what you want

CONS
No standardisation
Bad finish
Caters to local market (high amplitude filmy music)

Of the manufacturers, I have heard three - Audiocraft, Torvin, and Lithos.

I can write off Torvin immediately as his products are very flashy and loud. I recently auditioned his sub that was not only expensive but very boomy. Unfortunately the people in his demo rooms cater to people who like such sound, and they are happy with it.

Lithos has good technology and his speakers sound very good. He has speakers such as the Noa1 that are something like a Bose system but deliver very good sound with a sub. These speakers are very small and cute. He also has more expensive speakers such as the Kontra that sell for 100,000 a pair.

Audiocraft is somewhere in between Torvin and Lithos. He can give you a good 5.1 system for about 20 to 25K and they sound very good for their price. He makes massive floorstanders that deliver good music. Audiocraft speakers may need a bit of tuning in the sense you have to ask him to fine tune the crossover to suit your ears. But, after that, they are on par with some of the budget speakers from any brand that you come across.

As they are not standardised,. buying from Indian companies needs a lot of time and the ear and capability to tell the manufacturer what you want. If you do that you will be rewarded with a good system for life.

It is always better to look for a manufacturer in your own city, though an idiot like Venkat may be ready to take the trouble of getting you what you want if you define your requirements and budget. :eek::eek:

Cheers

Hi I am new to this forum but I have been reading to a lot of post and I am really happy to say that the information availiable is quite helpful in deciding a purchase. I have been looking for a power amp with my Onkyo 905 AVr to power my Fronts i.e Polk Audio Rti A7, I could not find one in India within a budget a 20K to 30K even in the 2nd hand market which is really hard to find. Finally I came across Sonodyne's Power amp model No. Spa 202 on their website and after enquiring about the same from M/s. Rythm Corner in south extention,they quoted me a price of Rs.19000 but they didn't had one for demo so I took the risk and made the payment and got the delivery the next day from Sonodyne's Coprorate office at Okhla. There the concerned person Mr.Raghu Ram was quite helpful and he told me to give him a feed back after its installation. When I first Installed it to my AVR using its Preout and connecting with Profigold 1M Analog Interconnectors, I noticed that there was an increase in the Brightness in the sound even after calibration my AVR again with the supplied Mic. Then I looked at few website for this Problem and found out the actual culprit was my Interconnector which I then Replaced with Dyio Interconnector and WOW the sound changed completely, Till now I didn't believe that wires could make so much difference to sound, so finally I changed the power cable of My AVR as well as the Power amp and now the Sound is of a different league and so open with Bass so tight and precise. I am glad that I made that purchase and it has rewarded me with great sound.

^^ where can i find good quality interconnects????? do stores like croma keep it?

i auditioned sonodyne system some time back, but at the same time i had auditioned JBL & Jamo as well, compared to these 2 sonodyne were not even close. i didnt like the sonodyne sound after listening to JBL.

in delhi is thr any manufacturers?
i listen soul,rnb,hip hop & soothing numbers from rahman and i mostly hear rahman,eric clapton,hotel claifornia kind of songs

i listen soul,rnb,hip hop & soothing numbers from rahman and i mostly hear rahman,eric clapton,hotel claifornia kind of songs

In Deihi many local brands make audio circuits for customised amp.

^^ where can i find good quality interconnects????? do stores like croma keep it?

i auditioned sonodyne system some time back, but at the same time i had auditioned JBL & Jamo as well, compared to these 2 sonodyne were not even close. i didnt like the sonodyne sound after listening to JBL.

Yes Croma do keep interconnectors but they are basic ones and I would recommend you to buy good quality interconnectors from the likes of Atlas,QED,Dyio,Monster etc., from a High end audio video dealer in Ahmehabad, also do look for system matching, i.e if your system is on the bright side then look for a neutral one.

About the sonodyne I don't know anything about their speakers but their stereo power amp is well worth the money and more than that. Always remember to replace the original power cables which came along with the amps with good quality cables from the likes of QED etc. and hear the difference.

:indifferent14:vencat sir u didn't answered my question!!!:)

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back