Sonus faber venere audition

agupta20

Hi everyone,

I am setting up my new home theater system (5.2.2 setup). Wiring all done in my living room.
My main usage will be movies

I auditioned Sonus Faber Venere tower speakers in stereo mode (English music). I loved the speakers. The guy didnt have setup for movies
I have read reviews about these speakers and everywhere it is mentioned that these speakers are very musical

I also auditioned Dali Opticon 6 and Klipsch 440
Dali opticon 6 review - Didnt sound good this time. I guess they were not calibrated properly. I have listened to them few months back and this was my first choice until now. But this time they sounded bad. I am trying to find another dealer where I can audition them again

Klipsch 440 review - they were good but not a wow factor which I got in Sonus faber

The questions I have are
1. Will Sonus Faber venere speakers go for movie setup as everyone talks about them being musical
2. What other speakers can I audition for movie setup (My budget for total setup is 4-5 lakhs)

Thanks in advance
Ashish Gupta

@bhagwan
The Elac line is a little confusing. I was thinking their adante line is top of the line. But I think I may be mistaken. Do you know how their line stack up from bottom to top ?

Update- 2 demos done
1. Audio Vector towers - very good speakers but going out of budget. Will figure if it fits in budget by compromising on surrounds
2. B & w 683 - good but nothing special. Punch missing at many places

Tilting towards sonus faber venere. Any member in Mumbai with home theater setup of sonus faber. Need help

Hi agupta...

You can do it 2 ways. Decide the avr first and then look for speakers. In my humble opinion, any speaker system when properly calibrated will sound great for movies. It is not exactly like music reproduction, where one is familiar with the track in and out and is looking for subtle changes in presentation with a change in audio gear. And in movies, you don't really notice as much , except that dialogues have to be clear and explosions have to be bone rattling :)

So unless you are keen on having a good performance for music, you don't have to necessarily spend so much just for a HT performance. Because 50% of a HT is the bass / sub woofer, and the remaining 50% is room correction and proper calibration .

Hi agupta...

You can do it 2 ways. Decide the avr first and then look for speakers. In my humble opinion, any speaker system when properly calibrated will sound great for movies. It is not exactly like music reproduction, where one is familiar with the track in and out and is looking for subtle changes in presentation with a change in audio gear. And in movies, you don't really notice as much , except that dialogues have to be clear and explosions have to be bone rattling :)

So unless you are keen on having a good performance for music, you don't have to necessarily spend so much just for a HT performance. Because 50% of a HT is the bass / sub woofer, and the remaining 50% is room correction and proper calibration .
Thanks a ton
I have closed with my first choice of Dali opticon 6 towers. Based on few advice, I resisted the temptation of going for 1 lakh expensive audio vector speakers

Calibration is something I will work on along with guy from whom I am buying speakers

If your budget can go 'north' [a little]
I would suggest this :-
https://www.elac.com/series/line-240/
Please do go for a listen & then decide.
Excellent product.
Made in Germany.
Same Tweeter as the Burmester - Porsche & Mercedes Cars.
Demo is in Mumbai for sure.
OT since the OP has decided on the speakers - I had the opportunity to buy Elac BS-243 from this forum a couple of years back at a steal. I did not like it initially as much as the Tannoy Sensys DC2 and could not understand why it was priced more than 1.5L (this was after the break-in period). However, I realized that music is so integrated and harmonized after a year of use. For the tiny size, the bass was really good and flat too. It was so enjoyable even when it was driven by an AVR from 1994.
Unfortunately, I had to let it go as I was unable to optimize the speaker position since the passages and doors in the living room became an obstacle. I was able to appreciate it's virtues only after the Tannoys replaced them. Tannoy sound boxy and was not imaging as well as Elacs. The listening to vocals on Elacs was a treat and so were string instruments (Santoor and Sarod were mesmerizing).
I don't regret selling it as it bailed me out financially. It was truly most rewarding investment thus far in my life as I was able to recover the purchase cost after two years of joyous listening.

Recently Monitor Audio has introduced new Silver series speakers. Very promising speakers for music as well as movies. It is said that ( on various forums) Monitor Audio Silver series is comparable to B&W CM series in term of sound quality . Have not audition new silver series speakers .I have audition Monitor Audio Bronze 6 and certainly equally capable in music and movies.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back