Sony 40EX650 or 40NX650

maddy551

Hi all,

I have checked many TVs in the market and have short listed couple of TVs.
Sony 40EX650 AND Sony 40NX650. Both are LED with smart tv options and do not have 3D which is what I am looking for.

I am not able to decide which one to go from among these two.
Can someone help me out which one would be a better option with pros and cons.

Also please suggest an equivalent feature or much better TV in other brand which I can look for.

Thanks,
Madhav

I personally feel that Samsung Series 5 have better color.
Few say that these color are artificially enhanced, but Sony produce True color.
How ever I prefer brighter color.

The processor, Screen panel, sound quality in both the TVs are almost identical.

I would prefer Samsung for its rich color and its ability to play various format of video via pen drive.

I personally feel that Samsung Series 5 have better color.
Few say that these color are artificially enhanced, but Sony produce True color.
How ever I prefer brighter color.

The processor, Screen panel, sound quality in both the TVs are almost identical.

I would prefer Samsung for its rich color and its ability to play various format of video via pen drive.

If anyone want rich color from sony led there is a vivid mode..select it and get samsung like rich color..which is not true color and obviously not good for normal viewing.

Thanks all for replies.
i have couple of more questions based on this.
1. What formats of files SONY EX650 doesn't support.
2. How do we convert the file formats. Do we need to have a separate software in laptops to convert the files. Does SONY provider any software for this.
3. After converting the file formats, will the picture quality degrade?
4. Heard that SONY has problems reading the external Hard disk drive (e.g: 1TB). Is this true?

why worry about hard disk reading..a media player is cheap and easy solution.in a tv you must like picture...
also demo plasmas..you may like it.I did not buy a plasma in a hurry..and still think why I hurrued...hehe

dont hurry...whether LED or plasma...demo..demo..demo..take your time and decide.

go for noon show in a multiplex and right afetr the show go to tv showroom...it will be easy for you to re capture the true image and color.

Thanks all for replies.
i have couple of more questions based on this.
1. What formats of files SONY EX650 doesn't support.
2. How do we convert the file formats. Do we need to have a separate software in laptops to convert the files. Does SONY provider any software for this.
3. After converting the file formats, will the picture quality degrade?
4. Heard that SONY has problems reading the external Hard disk drive (e.g: 1TB). Is this true?

1.don't support mkv,flv..but consult this thread to play mkv files on sony ledshttp://www.hifivision.com/television/26438-how-play-mkv-file-sony-bravia-led-tv-guide.html
2.No need to convert file formats.
3.If you convert a 1080p file to 480p and playback on tv picture won't look same.
4.Used 1 tb hdd on my tv..no issues.

Hi,

I have gone to one of the shops and checked a demo again -
the store guy was telling me to go for Samsung 40ES5600 instead of Sony 40EX650.
the reasons he says was that
1. Sony has more brightness built in and can effect the eyes and samsung is better. Is this True.
2. He also says that sony ex650 needs an additional stabilizer, where as Samsung doesnt require and has a built in one and has some triple protection...etc. I didnt know that even for TVs everyone uses Stabilizer. Is this really required for the sony TV.
3. With Samsung 40ES5600, a dongle is also provided for the internet. But for Sony TV, there is no Dongle provided and I need to purchase additional one. The sales person says that I would have to purchase only sony Dongle and would cost 3000.00 extra. Is it true that sony doesnt support any other dongle?
4. Finally, When I checked the demo of both these models, I somehow feel that Sony has much better clarity in terms of the picture quality and colours. Can someone suggest which one is better other than picture quality or colours. Just want some more thoughts to make a final conclusion on which model to go for.

if you yourself found sony picture is beettr in your lasst demo......why so dilemma....its a winnner then.
dont worry about stabiliser etc.you have to buy an extra whatsoever....and dongle??
you will need a super duper net speed for enjoying direct net(youtube etc) in tv.and a laptop to tv route is the easiest way I think.why buy a dongle??
rather buy a media player with tha nmoney...........
all tvs can be manually set for low or high brightness read backlight.........so dont worry for eyes.

Last edited:
Hi,

I have gone to one of the shops and checked a demo again -
the store guy was telling me to go for Samsung 40ES5600 instead of Sony 40EX650.
the reasons he says was that
1. Sony has more brightness built in and can effect the eyes and samsung is better. Is this True.
2. He also says that sony ex650 needs an additional stabilizer, where as Samsung doesnt require and has a built in one and has some triple protection...etc. I didnt know that even for TVs everyone uses Stabilizer. Is this really required for the sony TV.
3. With Samsung 40ES5600, a dongle is also provided for the internet. But for Sony TV, there is no Dongle provided and I need to purchase additional one. The sales person says that I would have to purchase only sony Dongle and would cost 3000.00 extra. Is it true that sony doesnt support any other dongle?
4. Finally, When I checked the demo of both these models, I somehow feel that Sony has much better clarity in terms of the picture quality and colours. Can someone suggest which one is better other than picture quality or colours. Just want some more thoughts to make a final conclusion on which model to go for.

1.Simple/stupid answer-reduce backlight and brightness.

2.Without stabilzer sony's power supply board is way more reliable than samsung's power supply board with bulit in stabilizer.

3 & 4.Yes..sony doesn't support any other dongle. If you don't want to pay 3000 extra then sacrifice on pic quality and go with samsung...

EX650 is way better than samsung model.

Bumping this old thread. I'm getting Sony 40EX650 for 56K and NX650 for 59K and EX520 is for Rs.53K. Which one is recommended? Specs of both EX650 and NX650 seems the same except the monolithic design of NX650.

NX650 has OptiContrast panel. So on angle it will be better than EX650 but off angle will be worse.

So if viewing angles matter to you, get EX650.

I have eliminated E520 as it is 50Hz only. I can also get LG LS4600 for 47K and LS5700 for 50K. Now the question is it worth to spend the extra for Sony?

Also please suggest an equivalent feature or much better TV in other brand which I can look for.
a17.jpg
k3.jpg

I have eliminated E520 as it is 50Hz only. I can also get LG LS4600 for 47K and LS5700 for 50K. Now the question is it worth to spend the extra for Sony?

I bought the Sony 46"EX650 couple of months back and very happy with the picture quality. In the store I compared it with Samsung 6 series and liked the Sony better. Colours in the Samsung seemed unreal. Again could have been setting related. Cost Rs.85K
Cheers

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back