Sony BDV-E980/N990W any good?

worthless products..please dont buy any sony/lg/pana home thetre.u will be very upset after buying...they are good with tv...sound kings are denon/onkyo/pioneer/yamaha..

withinn ur budget u can buy a dedicated blu ray player like sony s380--6k

and with another 34k buy denon 1312xp......or onkyo/yamaha/pioneer cousins according to ur ear at the same price band...

for a gretaer budget can go for polk speaker+denon avr....or any other combo according to ear and budget....for this combo ask experts in this forum..but pls dont buy sony/lg/sammy home theter.......

I just checked the specs..clearly mentioned...
LPCM (2ch/5.1ch/7.1ch)
Yes/Yes/Yes (HDMI in: 2ch only)
Yes/Yes/Yes (HDMI in: 2ch only)

DTS96/24, DTS-ES Matrix 6.1, DTS-ES Discrete 6.1
Yes (HDMI in: No) / Yes (HDMI in: No) / Yes (HDMI in: No)
Yes (HDMI in: No) / Yes (HDMI in: No) / Yes (HDMI in: No)

DTS/DTS-HD (HR/MA/LBR)
Yes (HDMI in: No) / Yes (HDMI in: No

its complete loss of money in my opinion...what happens when u play any hd audio in other player and try to connect to hdmi in...
also only 2 hdmi in...
they are basic drawbacks..plus if u go deep these products dont satnd a chance aginast denon/yamaha recievers....

so dont buy them...they are fancy products..not good in sound...

Last edited:
+1. Get a blu-ray player like sony or philips or samsung and a HTiB like Onkyo 3500, Denon1312XP, Yamaha 296. Onkyo 3500 seems to be the favourite HTiB in HFV. All these have 4 HDMI inputs, minimum 2 digital inputs, a couple of analog inputs and FM and AM radio. These also support HD audio like DTS HDMA, Dolby TruHD, 3D passthrough, ARC etc. In around 35K you can get a better system than the Sony HT.

Thanks a lot guys. Sadly I don't think I can get a demo of any of Denon or Onkyo or even Yamaha as they dont have authorized dealers in Raipur so have to decide on your feedback. Which of the one 3500/1312/296 is better?

If I have to buy online where can I get them cheapest? Also what are some of great BD players? Prosenjit suggested Sony S320, any other better ones?

I will also be going to US in Oct. Is there something better I can get in this price range?

Last edited:
if you are going to us...u will get them a lot cheaper..but they are 110volt rated in us...so consider the use and cost of a step down transformer while connected into 220volt.good transformers are being used and the machines run really smooth,no problem.
I mentioned sony s380(not s320;))..in india it is cheapest with packed feuture(non 3d)..main is bit stream hd audio via hdmi..

in us there are many different models in br player and in reciver +speaker or htib...

here online option is tata croma,ezoneonline,e bay india,this forum mart etc....all ship to raipur..u have to check the avialibility and price of the products..

for one shot decision....denon 1312xp and sony s380 in india.

for us sory no idea...hehe.

Hi guys,

I am looking to buy a complete HT system for my living room. What do you guys think about these 2 models?

Sony BDV-E980 or N990W.

Product Comparison : Blu-ray Home Theatre Systems : Sony India
Sony BDV-N990W - baddest of bad choices

I fell for the modern clean look
But . . .
this product is so disappointing
very very slow to move between menu items
freezes all the time when reading data
takes forever to get data read
this is not a standalone system
zero functionality if not connected to a network
returned mine to shop
could not get a refund - only credit
what the heck am i to take now - its a sony shop - they only stock sony

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back