Sony Bravia W950C Review

bright_future

Hi Folks!

I've been a lurker on this site for long, and finally decided to take the plunge:)

Based on reviews and some head hunting, got a Sony Bravia W950C 50" TV last sunday. Initially I was confused between Sony 49X8500C 4K TV, Samsung 48JU6470 and 50W950C. Then after practically demoing all three TV's side by side, and some research into the type of panels offered etc. went with the 50W950C, and I must say that so far I am happy with my choice.

Priced at around 1.33 Lacs, I hopped from one showroom to another, but none offered any discount, rather the freebies like Blu Ray player, 3D glasses etc. were highlighted by most sales people. Finally I landed at Big Bazaar (Ezone) on Sunday, found them to be offering about 3K cash discount on MRP, but the best deal I got was that as part of their festival scheme, got Rs. 18,750 as cash back, which I can redeem at Rs. 1700 per month on my shopping from Future group outlets.

Now coming to the TV, I finally stuck between 49X8500C and 50W950C, as the 8500C was costing me some 1.5 Lacs, was an inch smaller, and the biggest question in my mind was, Are there enough 4K contents around for me to invest in a 4K TV at this moment? The answer was no. Another question to ponder was, the sub-standard panel of 8500C being offered by Sony. The last but most important point, is it worth watching 4K on a <50" TV? Again I ended up with a negative opinion.

Comparing both TV's side by side, SD content looked similar on both TV's. HD content too looked similar as far as my untrained eyes were concerned. The Demo 4K clip being played on 8500C did look fantastic, but again, it's just a demo clip and I'll have to end up watching SD/HD content on both TV's which did not make much difference anyway, so why spend more on 8500C?

Finally went for 950C by paying Rs. 1.30 Lacs, got a Blu Ray player, a Subwoofer, a pair of Active 3D glasses, an IR blaster along with the TV.

The company people came yesterday and installed the TV. The software was updated , the basic functions were demoed by them. The one disappointment I encountered was that the service guys told me that the IR blaster isn't compatible with a Videocon D2H. Can you believe that? Anyway I was planning to buy a one flick remote, but looks like I'll have to wait until Sony/Videocon come up with a solution.

Anyway the operation system works like a charm, the apps are easy to use, the downside being that out of the 16 GB memory provided, only 8GB is accessible for storing apps, which is too less in my opinion. However, the picture quality is simply amazing, black levels great, viewing angles are good too, sound quality looked good too thanks to the dual sub-woofer provided with the TV, the matt finish panel avoids reflections to an extent, slim sleek panel adds to the impressive build quality.

I haven't got time yet to try any 3D stuff yet, nor go deep into the other functions of the TV, but with whatever I've viewed till now, it's worth the investment. I'll add further inputs in due time with some images in next few days.

Regards,
TR:)

First Congrats on your new purchase.
Totally agree with you: watching 4K on a <50" TV would be same as watching Full HD on the same, so no point in going for 4K tv for <50".

Regarding one flick remote: I doubt if it works with any other brand DTH too. The regular remote does work through IR blaster, just not sure about the flick remote.
Before buying just confirm if the flick remote is capable of controlling DTH(any brand Tata or any other which works with regular remote).
If you want flick remote only for controlling Tv, try the "sideview" app if you have an android device. I went for a demo at sony centre and the sales guy suggested using the sideview app for few days. If not satisfied, then anytime we can buy the flick remote separately.

Waiting for your feedback on viewing 3D content.

I am in the same situation as i getting confused between these 2 models after reading your review i am looking forward for w950c as there not much 4k contents are available so it would be better to stick with full hd.if any new reviews you want to share highly appreciated.
and congratulations for your buy.
have fun.

Congrats and very useful write up... Do share some comments on HD channel sound quality! ( is there a overwhelming highs)

Hi Congrats

Last week I got 43 inch TV of W950c after the research of 1 month.I have seen so many demos of Samsung,LG and SONY tv's.
Finally had below list and decided 40inch W950c.

40JU6400(Drooped due to 4k-No use)
43W800c(Liked w950c speakers and Trilumanous display)
40W700c(Really very good Full HD Tv without much smart functionality.Cost is more compared to other brands with the same future).
40H6400(Excellent tv but drooped due to last year model).

Finaly really amazing tv W950c.

Need one help from you guys.can you please answer following questions.

1.Is this tv need voltage stabilizer?The power supply is like laptop adapters hence I am asking.
2.Facing lag when doing screen mirroring(Heavily Irritating)?are you facing same issue.Please if you have solution let me know.
3.Seen some of 3d demo trailers those are amazing.Planning to watch through usb.Is W950c support NTFS/EXFat format to watch 3d movies morethan 4gb movies.

Please reply whenever you guys free.

We have to build forum for W950c to discuss our W950c isssues,Pro's and Con's and this is the best place to start.Thanks HIFI Vision forums.

2.Facing lag when doing screen mirroring(Heavily Irritating)?are you facing same issue.Please if you have solution let me know.
3.Seen some of 3d demo trailers those are amazing.Planning to watch through usb.Is W950c support NTFS/EXFat format to watch 3d movies morethan 4gb movies.

Screen mirroring is not for gaming.

My W950A supports 2TB NTFS hard disk from which I play 3D movies which are greater than 10 GB in size. So most probably it 950C should also support since it is two years newer than 950A

Hi gp,

Thanks for your reply.
Need one more suggestion,I got one offer,here in my place. full of 3d movies and 5.1 bluray movies are going to fill up for 1k for 1tb.
So i am attracted to this offer and planning to buy hard disk but the problem is all the 3d and bluray movies are arround 40 to 50gb per movie.
But I don't know whether my tv is able to play this much size of movies and also whether it will suport ntfs fomat.
In android mobile phones ntfs format usb will not support.
Hence i am worrying.

Please any one confirm.
And also share if you're having experience of playing this much huge size movies in tc through usb or hard disk(clarity wise and audio quality).

Hello guys,

Here are my reviews on the TV

PROS:
1. Excellent PQ and Audio quality.
2. No Soap Opera effect on Movies. <No unnecessary frame insertions>
3. Some Android Apps which makes TV work like Mobile.
4. Bluetooth Keyboard and mouse, makes TV work like computer.

CONS:
1. Default Video player is junk for 1TB USB HDD. Doesnt load the entire files.
2. No 2D -3D simulations, which was present in w900B models.
3. Sony Tech support says, files >2GB is not recommended for 3G videos.
4. Too much lag when switching from one input to another.
5. Slow startup after cutting the power source.
6. Worst Remote. <We must and should have the smart remote>

Tech support has mentioned a software update will be launched by Jan 26 2016.
Which makes TV more user friendly.

I compared this model with LG42LB750T.
I was impressed with LG42LB750T. But was pushed to Sony due to brand effect.

But not satisfied with 43W950C.
Can anybody comment on your views?

Hello again Guys:)

Sorry for the delay but did not get time to play with TV. However, was able to watch 'Avengers Age of Ultron' in 3D yesterday with my 5 year old son. The movie was downloaded through Torrent & played through USB;)

Had to get the 3D active glasses registered before use for the first time, which took less then 5 seconds. My experience after watching the movie was, just WOW. The HD contents were superb, the 3D was just out of this world, and the sound quality was good too. All in all I can safely say that the TV is great for 3D contents. The only downside was that the USB slot has been placed at such an angle that it gets difficult to plug in & out regularly. My suggestion would be to get two USB extension cables, plug them to both the slots, and use one for external HDD, and the other for USB.

Another point I would like to add is that, though the PQ for HD & 3D content is excellent, I felt that a 50" TV is a tad small for enjoying optimum 3D content. If I can somehow go back in time, I would definitely have gone for a 55 or a 60" TV. I know I am being greedy, but that's how I felt to be honest:mad:

All in all, a thumbs up to the TV as far as 3D in concerned:clapping:

Hello again Guys:)

Sorry for the delay but did not get time to play with TV. However, was able to watch 'Avengers Age of Ultron' in 3D yesterday with my 5 year old son. The movie was downloaded through Torrent & played through USB;)

Had to get the 3D active glasses registered before use for the first time, which took less then 5 seconds. My experience after watching the movie was, just WOW. The HD contents were superb, the 3D was just out of this world, and the sound quality was good too. All in all I can safely say that the TV is great for 3D contents. The only downside was that the USB slot has been placed at such an angle that it gets difficult to plug in & out regularly. My suggestion would be to get two USB extension cables, plug them to both the slots, and use one for external HDD, and the other for USB.

Another point I would like to add is that, though the PQ for HD & 3D content is excellent, I felt that a 50" TV is a tad small for enjoying optimum 3D content. If I can somehow go back in time, I would definitely have gone for a 55 or a 60" TV. I know I am being greedy, but that's how I felt to be honest:mad:

All in all, a thumbs up to the TV as far as 3D in concerned:clapping:

What is your viewing distance?

Hi All,

I tried playing movies through 1tb wd harddisk.The movies which are more than 10gb facing issues when playing through(VLC,MX and default) app.Sometimes the TV itself get shutdown.Is anyone can help me out.Felling bad after paying huge money to W950c.
But one good thing to overcome this problem.During Diwali I got SONY BDP S1500 bluray player free with TV.

I am reviewing here.

Excellent Player.I bought a TV of 85K.It was unable to play more than 12gb videos.
This player is amazing player almost all the video formats and i tested around 35gb movies played flawless.
The only disappointment is no optical out or RCA cables for getting 5.1 output.Only HDMI output.Connected NTFS 2TB hard disk and played flawless all formats without any issues.

Yes, video player is not as good as the non-Android televisions.
The Customer care are not encouraging video file >2GB.

They are planning for a massive update, with loads of features, to be released by Jan 26th.

Any new update on this Tv planning for the 43" model. Is it worth buying? where to get the glasses pl send some links and reviews for it.

Hi Friends!
Exactly after one year from the date of buying this TV, I have started to experience one issue, that is the tv restarts itself in the middle of viewing. Sometimes it restarts within a split second, and sometimes say after 2-3 seconds. I have done the soft power reset, but to no avail. Has someone else faced such issues? Is it time to call the technician? Such a costly tv, and to expect such issues just after an year is really dissapointing :sad:

Regards

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back