Sony CRT widescreen service issue

mk15

Hello

My 28" widecreen Sony Tv conked off after 8 yrs of service. I gave it to my local service center.

After 15 days, he informed me that the service manual is not available and sony is not obliged to service sets older than 7 years as its discontinued model.

I wrote to sony customer care five days back from where I received a reply that we will get back to you after speaking to the service center. Even after two reminders, I have not received any mail from sony customer care.

It was a very expensive purchase of 80K at that time and I just cannot forget the TV taking its life to be 8 years.

What are my options. Please advise.

Thanks

Hello

My 28" widecreen Sony Tv conked off after 8 yrs of service. I gave it to my local service center.

After 15 days, he informed me that the service manual is not available and sony is not obliged to service sets older than 7 years as its discontinued model.

I wrote to sony customer care five days back from where I received a reply that we will get back to you after speaking to the service center. Even after two reminders, I have not received any mail from sony customer care.

It was a very expensive purchase of 80K at that time and I just cannot forget the TV taking its life to be 8 years.

What are my options. Please advise.

Thanks

it might be out of warranty but the sony center is supposed to service your product - you may have to pay for parts though. Try getting in touch with Sony India HQ in India - write a polite mail mentioning your problem - also do not forget to mention that you will go to consumer court with this order and that all the forums will get lively with Sony and their products - i wonder with this attitude if sony is getting away selling 1 lakh worth TVs that will go kaput after 5 years - and you are supposed to buy a new one.:rolleyes:

Anyway the people in consumer court will take your case for free and contest (its true) - and you will probably win too. Either they repair the stuff - or pay you compensation - or give you some cash back in exchange (do not take it).

First step though get in touch with Sony HQ in India - and write a nice polished professional mail - citing your problems - consumer court - their brand image etc.

PS: Skoda is badly hurt - i know 4 people who put off their purchase of Skoda when they heard what Skoda did to one of their customer - check out team BHP for that. If I know 4 people and there are n number of people in teamBHP - look at how many people put off purchase of Skoda. Never forget the power of one.

Strangely enough, Sony has been quite negligent in their product quality and service in the recent years.

There may be genuine third-party service people who may come to your home and repair your stuff. That way you need not fear on how they handle your TV.

Thanks,

Nitin.

Hi

Where can I get the email of Sony HQ. Everywhere only the email of sony call center is listed who I said earler, are not replying. Instead the Service center person called up and reterated his earlier statement.

Thanks

it might be out of warranty but the sony center is supposed to service your product - you may have to pay for parts though. Try getting in touch with Sony India HQ in India - write a polite mail mentioning your problem - also do not forget to mention that you will go to consumer court with this order and that all the forums will get lively with Sony and their products - i wonder with this attitude if sony is getting away selling 1 lakh worth TVs that will go kaput after 5 years - and you are supposed to buy a new one.:rolleyes:

Anyway the people in consumer court will take your case for free and contest (its true) - and you will probably win too. Either they repair the stuff - or pay you compensation - or give you some cash back in exchange (do not take it).

First step though get in touch with Sony HQ in India - and write a nice polished professional mail - citing your problems - consumer court - their brand image etc.
well sony has the right to refuse servicing it, since this model wasn't sold in india.so going to court is waste of time,they won't even hear the case .the 28inch wide screen sizes are quite rare in asia,only in the US and japan did it sell well.my tv which was more then 9 years old was services without any problems,because it was officialy sold in india.

Hi

Where can I get the email of Sony HQ. Everywhere only the email of sony call center is listed who I said earler, are not replying. Instead the Service center person called up and reterated his earlier statement.

Thanks

you can write to digit india - they can take your case up - write to digit a nice mail mail citing your problems. Digit can make your case nicely in public forums and you should be done; plus sony will take care of the problem.

Else consumer court is a way out - you will come out tops for sure. The bugger MNCs do not care actually - they have sold enough, are selling well so..........its anyones guess. We so go by brand names - we say its a sony:rolleyes: and put out hard earned money into crapware from sony.

PLEASE PLEASE WRITE TO DIGIT AND ASK THEM TO TAKE YOUR CAUSE - ALSO GO TO CONSUMER COURT - THE POWER OF HIFI VISION IS WITH YOU.

you can write to digit india - they can take your case up - write to digit a nice mail mail citing your problems. Digit can make your case nicely in public forums and you should be done; plus sony will take care of the problem.

Else consumer court is a way out - you will come out tops for sure. The bugger MNCs do not care actually - they have sold enough, are selling well so..........its anyones guess. We so go by brand names - we say its a sony:rolleyes: and put out hard earned money into crapware from sony.

PLEASE PLEASE WRITE TO DIGIT AND ASK THEM TO TAKE YOUR CAUSE - ALSO GO TO CONSUMER COURT - THE POWER OF HIFI VISION IS WITH YOU.

they to can't help since this model wasn't bought in india and was never sold in india.

Code:
they to can't help since this model wasn't bought in india and was never sold in india.

Well, they are refusing because of some policy that they are not liable to service TV's seven years after the discontinuation of that model. They have not said anything about it being not an Indian model. Morever, sony cust. care have not replied in writing till now even after 2 reminders.

I do wonder that you can buy products with International warranty in Singapore by paying extra. Then whay offer Int'l warranty. Or what if someone shifts his residence from one country to another.

the service center even told me that if you insist too much, they may give such a high estimaion that it would be useless getting it repaired.

1) If it is grey model( never released in India ) yes sony can refuse
2) What is model number
3) Have you checked with Sony USA or Sony Japan??

4) Have you checked on google regarding service manual?
5) Again exact model number????

Code:

Well, they are refusing because of some policy that they are not liable to service TV's seven years after the discontinuation of that model. They have not said anything about it being not an Indian model. Morever, sony cust. care have not replied in writing till now even after 2 reminders.

I do wonder that you can buy products with International warranty in Singapore by paying extra. Then whay offer Int'l warranty. Or what if someone shifts his residence from one country to another.

the service center even told me that if you insist too much, they may give such a high estimaion that it would be useless getting it repaired.

well i have heard of international warranties but mostly on digital cameras and DSLRs,not on stuff like tvs.well i doubt the sony india have a service manual for that ,since like i said this model is very rare in asia,if they did have the service manual i am sure they would have repaired it,it is true that they do repair models that are not even sold in india.
but they should have the spare components like for instance sony stopped the crt productions more then a year ago.i.e the last remaining factory in thailand stopped manufacturing CRTs for markets such as india,china and other south asia,M.E.A countries which if u remember were all 4:3 format crts.
sony stopped selling crts even earlier in western countries.sony did sell two wide screen models in india a 29inch(actual 28inch) and 34inch(actual 33inch) last sold in 2006/2007,these where made in japan,these tvs used to be more expensive then similar sized sony lcds,they had the best of the trinitron picture tube with the new super fine pitch picture tube and could accept HD resolution,they also had the DRC-MF v1 image processing.they were only sold in sony world showrooms and if u were in bangalore u would have spotted them in radio house.so if the picture tube in ur tv has gone wrong it will be extremely difficult for them to get a replacement part or even the deflection yoke.

Last edited:
Model no is KV-W28. This is a SONY Asia model. The picture tube is fine. There is a problem in diagonal sync card. The same problem was reapired by the same service center two years ago also.

Pls Check google - a quick search reveled that service manual is available - bt not free..
Normally you have to pay and PDF is mailed to o

You need to pinpoint the part(s) and then procure it...

If you can tell me part numbers -lemmeask my sorces if it is available in Mumbai - as mumbai have a large population of Sony's

Or you may have to procure the part from abrod...

I think if picture tube is ok - hen rest of the parts are from inventory of similar parts - so ask repair center/serviceto procure the part..

Pls Check google - a quick search reveled that service manual is available - bt not free..
Normally you have to pay and PDF is mailed to o

You need to pinpoint the part(s) and then procure it...

If you can tell me part numbers -lemmeask my sorces if it is available in Mumbai - as mumbai have a large population of Sony's

Or you may have to procure the part from abrod...

I think if picture tube is ok - hen rest of the parts are from inventory of similar parts - so ask repair center/serviceto procure the part..

The local sony service center is totally un-coperative. He says first he wants the service manual and then he can comment on the parts.

Guess, if I dont hear from Sony by Monday then I'll pick up the TV and place it at a private repair shop. Thats the only option left.

But I am truly disgusted by Sony and we pay a premium for Sony and end up like this.

The local sony service center is totally un-coperative. He says first he wants the service manual and then he can comment on the parts.

Guess, if I dont hear from Sony by Monday then I'll pick up the TV and place it at a private repair shop. Thats the only option left.

But I am truly disgusted by Sony and we pay a premium for Sony and end up like this.

well its unfortunate that sony won't repair it, but they aren't doing anything illegal,u can try ur luck at a local service station,but i doubt they can repair it,if something is wrong like a capacitor or a resistor,they can change it,but if its some proprietary IC then chances are slim,even if the capacitor is blown it will be hard to find the value.so a service manual is necessary.
that was the case when my samsung monitor conked of its ,vertical picture size shrinked slowly,until something inside blew up,turned out to be a capacitor,along with that it messed up the board and a transistor,the local repair shop couldn't find the value of the capacitor,they assumed the value and the replacement capacitor was installed,the monitor did work for a few minutes,and conked off for good.samsung asked 2k to for repairing it.they basicaly said they would replace the entire board.

well i have heard of international warranties but mostly on digital cameras and DSLRs,not on stuff like tvs.well i doubt the sony india have a service manual for that ,since like i said this model is very rare in asia,if they did have the service manual i am sure they would have repaired it,it is true that they do repair models that are not even sold in india.
but they should have the spare components like for instance sony stopped the crt productions more then a year ago.i.e the last remaining factory in thailand stopped manufacturing CRTs for markets such as india,china and other south asia,M.E.A countries which if u remember were all 4:3 format crts.
sony stopped selling crts even earlier in western countries.sony did sell two wide screen models in india a 29inch(actual 28inch) and 34inch(actual 33inch) last sold in 2006/2007,these where made in japan,these tvs used to be more expensive then similar sized sony lcds,they had the best of the trinitron picture tube with the new super fine pitch picture tube and could accept HD resolution,they also had the DRC-MF v1 image processing.they were only sold in sony world showrooms and if u were in bangalore u would have spotted them in radio house.so if the picture tube in ur tv has gone wrong it will be extremely difficult for them to get a replacement part or even the deflection yoke.

Philips and JVC LCD offer 1 year International warranty on their LCD's purchased here in Singapore, which covers India. Rest of the brands only offer local warranty.

Spiderman

Well i have a sony 34" Trinitron tv model which is around 5 years old and it conked off,First i got some local guy to look at it, he tried to procure the parts and couldn't get it to work, i ended up spending 1k on that. In the end he said that with Sony Tv u can only get sony specific parts to work, if they buy any local part or part with similar capacity it wont last long and will cause more damage.

My next step was to log a repair call with Sony, after follow ups for one week finally the technician arrived and they charge Rs 250 for just visiting, he checked and said that couple of parts needed replacement, he noted the part nos and told us that they would need to order and procure them as they are not available locally.If they can procure they would give cost with time duration.

What was surprising what he said that the life of the part that has expired was 5 years or 6000 hours max, so i was surprised and i said i have had Sony Tv's before that lasted more than a decade easily not depending on time or use.

He said that the model i have is still better, the latest ones have a life span of 5 years max and then may need to be repaired. Well Sony may be offering cheaper TV's now but the quality of those is questionable.He also said that most customers are going for LCD now and soon they will stop CRT's. Also that repair of LCD's was more expensive and difficult, as they replace the whole board of the unit if it can be fixed and do not do component level repair.

After 2 days sony service center called and said the parts can be procured and fixed the repair will cost 3.5k, if we approve they will pick up the Tv and get it fixed in one week.I agreed, they came at home picked up the Tv took to their service center.

After a week got it delivered with a bill of 3.5k - and the parts that were replaced.

As of now its working fine ...

So my advice, don't give ur TV for repair to a local shop,better to give repair to authorized sony service center, or to someone who has been handling and servicing sony before, as they may be able to procure the part and get it fixed.

What is the issue with the TV?

The picture shakes left to right to left continuously and there are lines all across the screen diagonally. The service center guy says there is a problem in the diagonal sync section and as the service manual is not available, he cannot identify the parts. I have written to Sony India and Sony asia pacific through their web site but they have not given any response till date.

Now, yesterday, I went to the service center to pick up the Tv and while testing, it swas working fine. The service center guy now says that the problem is still there and would crop us once the TV gets heated. It looks that in June the tempreature rose to 47C and hence, the part got over heated and malfunctioned and now since the temperature is down to 35-38C, the part is not getting heated up to malfunction.

But as the problem is still there, I would have to get the TV repaired come what may.

well since they said that it works normal at a low temperature,could be due to faulty soldering.btw 47 degrees is a lot,it gets much hotter inside a crt tv,u can actually see the electron gun glowing red hot.
also check for any marks cause due to fumes,which comes usualy from a resistor or a faulty capacitor which may go kaput any time.its best to note down those parts they looks like end of life,since without the service manual it will be immposible to know latter on,about the value of the capacitor or resistor.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back