Sony HAP S1. I like this unit

The Mini has an internal DAC but I'm assuming you won't be using it.

To my ears the Aries has better soundstage, more bass response, and more detail.

The Mini though is an extremely capable player, especially at its price point. I'd peg it over the Bluesound Node 2.

Nice to hear this comparison ! thanks for this. Was this comparison in using both as a streamer only and the same DAC ?

Nice to hear this comparison ! thanks for this. Was this comparison in using both as a streamer only and the same DAC ?

Heard primarily with the Devialet 200, and the Yggy.

Also heard the Auralic Vega and the Linn Akurate. My choice would be the Linn.

The internal DAC of the Mini is pretty good. Will beat most budget DACs and then you also get everything for a single price (DAC, streamer, server).

The Linn Klimax is what I'd drool over... but those start at $15,000.

For the budget conscious audiophile, the Mini is an excellent deal in a single box solution.

Prem
Have you researched about schiit yggadrasil?

Others can suggest if it should be in your radar if looking for a stand alone dac

Heard primarily with the Devialet 200, and the Yggy.

Also heard the Auralic Vega and the Linn Akurate. My choice would be the Linn.

The internal DAC of the Mini is pretty good. Will beat most budget DACs and then you also get everything for a single price (DAC, streamer, server).

The Linn Klimax is what I'd drool over... but those start at $15,000.

For the budget conscious audiophile, the Mini is an excellent deal in a single box solution.

Thanks..I am more interested in the SQ as streamer/Network player. I personally dont like the Idea of a PC for audio..nothing technical against it just that I dont want a PC doing that role.

The Mini is at least in the more affordable range and its Built in Dac makes it a lot more flexible in usage for the future .

the Linn Klimax is perhaps the best there is out there in that Genre.

Rikhav, I am first trying to get a fix on how to get the files read? Should it be a dedicated music server or a Linux based computer or a Mac or a raspberry pi? Dac is not my major worry. If it's a two box solution then the dac will be R2R dac. So it will be a Metrum or La Scala or Total. If it's a one box like the Sony, then I guess I have no option

Prem.. Get the Sony ;). It's like the old hero Honda ad.. Fill it, shut it, forget it .

Prem,
Given your other components, the DAC should be separate.

Our pursuit reminds me of the poem in "The Lord of the Rings"
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them

Here are my nine Nazguls:
Modem, HDD, AVR, TV, Soundbar, DAC, Preamp, PowerAmp, Stereo Speakers

I am thinking of an Intel NUC unit being controlled by a soon to be retired tablet/smartphone.

Cheers,
Raghu

Venkatcr, from what people are posting on various forums, there does not appear to be any uniform consensus that using different servers or different platforms on computers give you the same quality of sound.

My previous experience with transports clearly showed differences in sound quality between different transports.

With computers, I am trying to figure if they all sound the same or are they different

Last edited:
Raghupb, for CDs, there are good one box players and then there are transports and dacs.

In computer audio, everybody right now is looking at multiple box solutions but am sure, sooner or later, there will be very good one box solutions.

Raghupb, for CDs, there are good one box players and then there are transports and dacs.

In computer audio, everybody right now is looking at multiple box solutions but am sure, sooner or later, there will be very good one box solutions.

Agreed.
I am done with CDs/DVDs/BDs. In fact, I am still sitting on the fence about surround speakers in my listening space (which is small and a living room).
For movies that require sound effects, the family prefers the real cinema. The soundbar is doing a fantastic job and even puts out serious base (no sub).

The only thing that worries me in all in one boxes for computer audio is the HDD. The failure potential of disks are still too high, thus bricking the unit.
Wife just got a smartphone with OTG support and wants a small portable drive to hookup to the phone for car listening.
So I am sure we are going to end up with one main music vault and one or two portable vaults.

Cheers,
Raghu

Prem.. Get the Sony ;). It's like the old hero Honda ad.. Fill it, shut it, forget it .

looking at the flow of the thread... i second that..

just a co-incidence i used the same HH advt wording in a PM today to someone who asked me if Naca5 is a must for Naim amps :D

Raghupb, what I meant was one doesn't have to have a two box solution to get good sound. I am sure, like CD players, there will be, sooner or later, good one box solution for computer audio

Thanks Dheerajin. I am waiting to understand what to use to read and extract the music files. My dac choice was fairly clear in my mind. Especially considering the fact that I have Rethm and Berning, both of which, while very organic, can sound a bit thin. IME, a R2R dac does add a little body compared to the more modern dacs. This helps in my case. Further their timing is very very good. Something that I miss in many dacs

But the Sony HAP Z1 ES just appears to be way more convenient. So am at the crossroads

Last edited:
As I understand Ranjeetrain, any one box will need a controlling device, right? Technically, is it better to have an outboard storage device or an internal hard drive?

The Aries is about USD 1200 I think. They also have something called mini which is cheaper

The Aries is just a player with a custom playback software and app control. You will need an external dac.

If you notice, the network players which are sold with their own custom developed software and app are usually costly. The upside is that they work flawlessly. Examples are linn, naim, aurender etc..

From what I understand, one of the biggest costs for network players is the dev / continuous R&D of the playback software and app which you need to do if you sell your player with your own software. This is one of the reasons why many network player manufacturers use generic variety softwares for playback control ( mpad etc..). This keeps costs down but the downside is that they are quite buggy and cumbersome.

The reason why Aries is a good choice are manifold. They come with fantastic playback software and app custom developed by themselves but the player cost a fraction of what the others who do the same charge you. The combination of an aries + a good dac will be way less than a naim or linn or aurender. I am sure there are many other options like the aries these days..but I have not done much research into those.

On the other hand the total dac is a complete player with an inbuilt ladder dac controlled by generic variety software.

Squarewave, thanks. Am I correct in my understanding than an Aries with a dac of my choice would be a very good option?

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back