Sony HAP S1. I like this unit

congrats prem. looking forward to hear about your experience with the sony once it enters your set-up.

Hi square wave

I am already in talks with Auralic.:)

I knew they were planning something like this for some time

I was hoping they would launch in April. But now it's shifted to June.

Hence will push my purchase to June. Will take a call between Sony and Auralic post release

Update. Dr Bass heard both the Sony HAP Z1 and the Auralic Vega with the Aries Mini. He found the Auralic combo far superior.

So out goes Sony

My new options

Auralic Vega and Aries Mini
Auralic Altair
Metrum Hex with Aries Mini

Update. Dr Bass heard both the Sony HAP Z1 and the Auralic Vega with the Aries Mini. He found the Auralic combo far superior.

So out goes Sony

My new options

Auralic Vega and Aries Mini
Auralic Altair
Metrum Hex with Aries Mini

In that case he should listen to Aurender. The couple of times I heard it blew the socks off. In particular one person described it as "sonic paradise".

It does not have a DAC, not an issue as you plan to use an external DAC, and it functions only as a server, no streaming capabilities, but again not an issue as most folks are not into wireless and streaming. It does only one thing - functions as a server - but it does it very well... even to the extent of being the best at it, at least folks hold it in that regard.

Since the Aurender does not have a DAC, how much does it contribute to sonic paradise???

It's all audiophile black magic my friend... that costs $18000 for the top tier model.

Chris might convince you that it's worth it... something to do with word clocks and master clocks and more stuff than my brain could comprehend.

Computer Audiophile - Aurender W20 Review

Since the Aurender does not have a DAC, how much does it contribute to sonic paradise???

But jokes aside, maybe it achieves galvanic isolation and jitter elimination better than others.

Maybe it was expectation bias, but I did hear things differently when I heard it.

The Sonore Sonicorbiter is another such device... only ethernet input and USB output. I've not heard it, but folks I know are highly appreciative of it. Mercifully only $300.

My budget is sub USD 5000:). That's if I really like the Hex. Else ideally would like to keep it sub USD 2500.

Antipodes server is also very well reviewed

Last edited:
Interesting RegeHA. Thanks for the link. Will look it up. This does not have internal storage, right?

Interesting RegeHA. Thanks for the link. Will look it up. This does not have internal storage, right?

Hi Prem and regeha

Yes a very interesting product. Somewhat similar to RPI, but specifically built for audiophile use (linear regulators and stuff)

Prem, it will only accept network storage and that too only wired
It maybe not be as easy as the Sony unit to set it up but once done it should be easy to use and better too because it simply does not have anything else other then needed for audio purposes
Even USB and Ethernet has all noise elimination inbuilt and plus board itself powered by linear regulators
Definitely worth considering if you OK with external DAC

If RPI is a mass produced sports car like a Ferrari 458, which is no slouch but this new product is a like a koenigsegg regera :)

No. Its a product to only take input from a NAS or ethernet network and output either wireless or via USB.

Looks modelled on the Pi, even runs off an SD card. No details on h/w, but wouldn't be surprised if the specs were similar to the Pi.

RegeHA and Rikhav, thanks

RegeHA, between Aries Mini and MicroRendu, which do u think is likely to be better from a SQ perspective. Chances are dac would be Metrum Hex

Hi regeha
Even if it's modelled on the RPI its seeiosuly VFM because it has inbuilt Ethernet and USB isolation and it would not need a linear power supply . something like ifi I power would be fine
To top it up it comes with a very good case
If you add everything its seriously VFM for USD 490 including ifi power supply

RegeHA, between Aries Mini and MicroRendu, which do u think is likely to be better from a SQ perspective. Chances are dac would be Metrum Hex

Prem
By any chance have you heard the HEX?

No Himadri

Will be listening to Hex, Vega and Yggdrasil in Australia. They are all at the same dealer. So it's easy to compare

Prem,

Hard to say without hearing the microRendu. FWIW, I did like the Aries, both the regular and Mini.

But ethernet for audio is something I've not really played with (though I've been meaning to with the Synology).

For now I guess it comes down to how much stock you put into Chris's reviews.

I'm personally not sold unless I hear it myself and hear things differently... and my misgivings stem from how much it sounds like a Pi at least on paper.

Hi regeha
Even if it's modelled on the RPI its seeiosuly VFM because it has inbuilt Ethernet and USB isolation and it would not need a linear power supply . something like ifi I power would be fine
To top it up it comes with a very good case
If you add everything its seriously VFM for USD 490 including ifi power supply

I agree, but the Pi 3 is also a good sell considering its wireless LAN does not share the same BUS and galvanic isolation and other benefits are achieved too.

I'm not sold on the LPS, as I heard the Aries and it actually suffered from sound degradation with a HDPlex. In fact the standard power supply worked best and the best SQ was with wireless. Even Auralic states wireless would perform better than wired (caveat: with a good WiFi network), so all things considered and with the experience of actually listening - galvanic isolation, clean power, EMI noise, noise floor, etc. - is better achieved via wireless. This has been my experience across multiple setups using varied devices from the budget Chromecast Audio and Pi to the likes of Auralic, NAS, Bluesound, Sono, Naim, and even Pioneer.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back