Sony HT A9

Srinivasaramanujam

Dear FMs, can Sony HT A9 at 1.3 lakhs give the effects of a receiver plus 7.1 loudspeakers package investment amounting to nearly 2 lakhs?

In short it won't, in most cases. However this will be hassle free. A surround setup comes with a lot of "ifs & buts", however if patient the rewards are great. An HTIB is a no hassle solution, but in most cases it can't compete with a full 7.1 HT setup.

I am not faffing - my cousin has the same system, and though great for surround effects (it is pretty amazing what it can do for effects) it leaves you wanting more almost everywhere else.

However it is cheaper than most HT setups, a decent AVR alone will be 50% of the cost of A9.

Dear FMs, can Sony HT A9 at 1.3 lakhs give the effects of a receiver plus 7.1 loudspeakers package investment amounting to nearly 2 lakhs?
Does this 2 lakh price includes the subwoofer?
I have spent more than 3 lakhs on a moderate (AVR+Speakers+Subwoofer) setup (Not to mention hassles of wiring and positioning speakers). So pricewise and comfortwise Sony HT A9 seems like a good deal.
In short it won't, in most cases. However this will be hassle free. A surround setup comes with a lot of "ifs & buts", however if patient the rewards are great. An HTIB is a no hassle solution, but in most cases it can't compete with a full 7.1 HT setup.
I am not faffing - my cousin has the same system, and though great for surround effects (it is pretty amazing what it can do for effects) it leaves you wanting more almost everywhere else.
I got mine a month back.
It is good but will not replace a HT setup.
You will need HT A9 with SW5 sub
Guys can you elaborate on what exactly you are finding missing in sound quality? All this time I have been thinking that that I should have simply bought Sony HT A9 instead of setting up HT.

Guys can you elaborate on what exactly you are finding missing in sound quality?
Please note - I am not dissing the product, I support buying things that makes your life easier :)

On the other hand, the biggest thing missing is the dynamics in A9. They have put so much effort in spatial sound creation (which is quite impressive by the way); that the other aspects of the sound are a bit all over the place. The dialogues aren't clear, bass is unruly (the setup I have heard comes with the larger Sub), all things except the effects seem to come out of a single plane - like a soundbar.

Also please let me clarify - in 1.3L it will be difficult to create a good sounding 7.1 HT setup with today's prices (In My Opinion) - unless you are patient and keep an eye out for used goods, and the soundbars & systems like A9 can be great for the budget conscious and people who care most about simplicity. Products like these have a place in the market and I have personally suggested many to go this route for the convenience and usability.

My personal HT 7.1 atmos system is around 3L that I slowly put together over 2 years (including wires, channels, connectors etc). I am very happy with it and for now I do not think I need better in my current space. But yes as I live in rented houses I have to put a lot of effort everytime I move and set it up. Too painful. If something like Sennheiser Ambeo (and I have heard it) comes with surround and atmos channel addition & a subwoofer, I am moving to that myself.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back