Sony KDL-40EX710 vs Samsung UA40C6900VR

tellanand

I'm planning to buy 40" LED TV and I've narrowed down to two models:

Sony KDL-40EX710 (Rs. 83,900) & Samsung UA40C6900VR (Rs.105,000)

The prices quoted are from the website of Sony India and Samsung India respectively and I expect that the show room pricing of these models will be cheaper than this price.

[1] I'm surprised that the price difference between equivalent models in Sony and Samsung is huge (close to Rs.20K) and more surprised that Samsung is more expensive than a Sony.

[2] From what I have read about features of both these models, both seem equal to my eyes. Am I missing something?

[3] Can someone tell me which is a better model to go with (Sony vs Samsung)

[4] And why is there a big price difference between these two models?

Thanks very much
- Anand

You would also want to consider LG as its great VFM. CHeck out for thier 5500 or 8500 LEd series. Besides none of the manufacturer are offering local dimming full LED TVs. These are all edgelit LED-LCD TV.

You would also want to consider LG as its great VFM. CHeck out for thier 5500 or 8500 LEd series. Besides none of the manufacturer are offering local dimming full LED TVs. These are all edgelit LED-LCD TV.

@illusion_heart: Thanks for your response. I hope I don't get flamed for this from LG fans - but I have never been a great fan of LG in general - just me.

But I'll definitely check out the models you have suggested. Are you saying that the LED TVs from LG are better than Sony / Samsung?

And can someone answer the queries I had in my initial post?

best regards
- Anand

Last edited:
@illusion_heart: Thanks for your response. I hope I don't get flamed for this from LG fans - but I have never been a great fan of LG in general - just me.

But I'll definitely check out the models you have suggested. Are you saying that the LED TVs from LG are better than Sony / Samsung?

And can someone answer the queries I had in my initial post?

best regards
- Anand

Mate, its not the question of being better then samsung/sony, its just evaluating all options one has before making a purchase...in the end its all upto ones own preference.

1. The local dealer, generally given to hating Sony's actually praised the 710.
And I must admit, on first appearance it looks good. Seemed to be a more
pleasing picture than the Samsung. Didn't have a more detailed look since I was not evaluating either in detail. Will check it out tomorrow.

2. Having said that, both are non-dimming LEDs, so their performance is not
significantly different compared to a CCFL LCD. So in my opinion, not worth the
money. Check out an EX600 or a Samsung C650. Or if are OK with a slightly less
quality an LG LD650. In general top of the line CCFL LCDs are more
value than low/mid LED LCDs

3. LG LE5500 is best avoided since its local dimming implementation is not too
good. But it is good VFM and not that much worse compared to the above two (black is
worse though). The 8500 is fabulous ! But way too expensive.

OK. Not sure how many may take this advice - Sony EX500, Sony NX700, Samsung C650, Samsung 750 (for sheer 2D PQ), LG LE8500 are absolute stunners. I might have repeated but can't stop recommending.

Last edited:
OK. Not sure how many may take this advice - Sony EX500, Sony NX700, Samsung C650, Samsung 750 (for sheer 2D PQ), LG LE8500 are absolute stunners. I might have repeated but can't stop recommending.

I strongly agree with you shaiju on the LG LE8500 as i have been personally roaming around mumbai to catch a demo of the set, been unsuccessful so far. Dealers have indicated that the set would be arriving next week in showrooms though currently company might only launch 42". The 47" might be made availiable post diwali (strange thinking by strategy/marketing guys at LG, to miss biggest shopping season in India).

I personally prefer LG over sony and samsung for obvious personal reasons such as experience, VFM factor offered. Hence i havent even bothered to search/read about the other two competitors.

Back