SONY KLV-40NX500 -- Owner's thread

senthilsss

Hello all,

I have started this thread to share information and tips for the model SONY
KLV-40NX500.

I connected my TATASKY+ to NX500 and it gives awesome output. When I looked at the SETMAX channel in SONY (Big Reliance) and PAI (AIRTEL Digital TV), I felt the pictures were not that good. But, TATASKY+ gives a superlative output.

I would like to know whether I should connect my TATSKY+ to

3 signals input such as YUV or Y, B-Y, R-Y

(or)

A/V input

Please let me know.

The three signal input you mentioned is called component input. This is better than composite input (A/V input). So it is recommended to use component input. Pictures of component inputs are attached. :)

Attachments

• Component_video_jack.jpg
    Component_video_jack.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 210
  • compins.gif
    compins.gif
    16.4 KB · Views: 202
Thanks HiFiamp! :signthankspin:

Do you know where we get the "component" input cables in Bangalore? I searched in Koramangala/Indiranagar electronic outlets and nobody has one.

I have two more queries. :sos:

(1) Is progressive scan supported by LCD?
(2) What is the right type for a good viewing experience? WIDE ZOOM or FULL. I often switch between these two options as I am confused.

Last edited:
well u can get them in croma,if u want some cheap cables such as MX brand u can get in SP road.i believe its also available in croma,but not the entire range.

yes ur tv does support both progressive and interlaced.

when watching 4:3 SD content such as from ur tata sky or big tv etc if u choose to FULL mode u wont loose any picture but will look streched except in some channels like WB or UTV world movies,where steching it makes it retain the orginal 16:9 picture,but only applies to some movies.

if u choose the wide zoom mode ,u will loose some picture in the edges.

Last edited:
Thanks adder! :signthankspin:

I will visit Croma and check that out.

Yes! I switch to "NORMAL" mode to check the feed. Most of the channels are broadcasted in 4:3 mode which makes the pictures stretched in FULL or even WIDE ZOOM mode.

I am wondering whether we can do any settings in TATASKY+ or DVD Player so that it always feeds 16:9 or it is purely based on the broadcaster?

Do you know where we get the "component" input cables in Bangalore? I searched in Koramangala/Indiranagar electronic outlets and nobody has one.

(2) What is the right type for a good viewing experience? WIDE ZOOM or FULL. I often switch between these two options as I am confused.

(1) Yes, progressive scan is supported.

(2) It depends on personal taste. The difference between both zoom is:

(a)WIDE ZOOM - Enlarges the centre portion of the picture. The left and right edges of the picture are stretched to fill the 16:9 screen. The shape of the picture in centre will be closer to the original (4:3 aspect).

(b) Full Zoom - Stretches the 4:3 picture horizontally, to fill the 16:9 screen.

I am attaching the page from the manual for more clarity.

Attachments

• types_of_zoom.jpg
    types_of_zoom.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 189
Thanks HiFiamp!

I am wondering whether we can do any settings in TATASKY+ or DVD Player so that it always feeds 16:9 instead of 4:3 or it is purely based on the broadcaster?

Thanks adder! :signthankspin:

I am wondering whether we can do any settings in TATASKY+ or DVD Player so that it always feeds 16:9 or it is purely based on the broadcaster?

while dvd players can show native 16:9 mode in its native form,the TS+ or any other DTH haven't enabled the 16:9mode or the channel providers are still transmitting in 4:3.with the exception of sun HD where the hd channels are in 16:9 format.

while dvd players can show native 16:9 mode in its native form,the TS+ or any other DTH haven't enabled the 16:9mode or the channel providers are still transmitting in 4:3.with the exception of sun HD where the hd channels are in 16:9 format.

Thanks adder! Now, I understand why the pictures look stretched. And also, DTH providers are not transmitting in 4:3 always. I remember seeing HBO, Star Movies in proper 16:9 format where as few regional channels shows 4:3.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

There's nothing different in a component cable. You can use a normal composite+stereo (Yellow-White-Red) cable as a component cable. Just make sure you connect the correct input to the correct output. The Y of the output should go to the Y of input etc.

Have been using a cheapo cable of that sort as my component cable with a Sony DVD player and haven't had any issues at all.

@reignofchaos:

Actually, I tried that first before buying the cable. However, I saw that the pins were not fitting in. I tried pushing however gave it up thinking it would break.

You may be right. I didn't push it hard though.

I am also using an standard RCA cable (but good quality) for component.

Composite or component - the terminals are the same RCA. As said by reignofchaos, you need to connect to the correct terminals.

:annoyed: I have many Composite Video cables at home. I thought Component and Composite Video have different interfaces and that's why it is not going in. I should have pushed it harder.

Anyway.

Why they need to be of equal length? Please explain.

Thanks
Senthil

Its mentioned in my SONY DVD player manual. I guess if the lengths are uneven performance may get affected. I have connected component cable to my TV from DVD player. Difference is clear between composite and component cables

Problem is resolved :clapping:

(1) Connect the component cable
(2) Set the MPEG NOISE reduction to High
(3) Decrease the Sharpness

I can see the difference in the PQ and depth of colors.

Thanks guys for helping me out with this!

hi everyone.
i am new to all this stuff.
can anyone tell me how to connect tata sky to nx500 and fz900kw(sony home theater), so i can get the audio output from my home theater and not from tv speakers.

@ senthilsss

Hi, I have few questions regarding NX500

1) Is it true that glass panel is very reflective? Does it effect the viewing?
2) How is DVD and SD PQ from about 6-7 feet

thanks

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back