SONY KLV-40V550A/B or SAMSUNG LA40B650T1R

Hi -

I bought a Sony 40V550 A the last weekend - for 80K inclusive of an extended warranty for 2 more yrs.

I wanted a TV that offered a decent balance between Satellite TV and DVD performance. Sony V550 seemed to be best at both (my comparison was with the Samsung A650, LG 80 series and older Sony models) and I found a significant difference in watching DVDs on the 550 vs the others. The image appeared less pixelated on the 40" 550 compared to even the 37" S series Sony. This clinched it for me.

After bringing the set home, though, I've had severe pangs of guilt for buying a TV that is distinctly inferior in picture quality to my older CRT (even if it has a lot to do with the larger size of the LCD), but I guess one gets used to it over a period of time. Watching the French Open esp. was not a great experience because of the yellow trails of the ball on the screen :). I watch downloaded content a lot and it sometimes does not look very good in full screen mode. My viewing distance is 15 feet. In general, I've come to the conclusion that 40" screen size is not ideal for sub 15 feet distances - better go for 37" for upto 15 feet.

I'd say I'm about 60% satisfied with my purchase and in a typical display of buyer's remorse I can't help wondering if I should have waited another year to get one of the latest Samsung LEDs when their prices drop - this would not help with the picture resolution but the overall contrast/response time would be better. Also wondering if I should have gone for the 32" LCD or Plasma instead as a cheaper option to last a few yrs till panel technology improves.

Meanwhile, I did find something that brought me some cheer that others might find interesting : the WD TV HD Media Player : (WD TV HD Media Player Review). I have second hand information that this works very well for downloaded content. Planning to buy this in the near future to get better picture quality.

Cheers!

Puneet

Hi Puneet,

A great review thanks.

I always thought that upto 10 feet one can even buy a 42 inch TV so I am a bit surprised that you advise to go in for 32/37 for viewing at 10 feet. Does it really impact picture quality now that you have been enjoyed your V550 for quite some time.

Spiderman

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back