Sony KLV-40Z550A (Please share your experiances)

Hasn't anyone even seen this TV in the stores yet? I mean while making your purchase, it's quite possible that someone have tested this model too.

Z550 is their previous top of the line TV. It has a much better panel than the cheapo EX500 and also has a significantly better image processor. If you can afford it, get it.

I checked the specs of Z550 and it has Bravia Engine 3, the same engine as EX500. And the panel is also only 8 bit, again the same as EX500. The only difference is in backlighting and Z550 seems to have an advanced version of CCFL compared to EX500 but then both of them have only CCFL panel.

How do you know that the panel and color reproduction of Z550 is better than EX500? Could you please be more specific about this?

Z550 is their previous top of the line TV. It has a much better panel than the cheapo EX500 and also has a significantly better image processor. If you can afford it, get it.

Hm... you are right. Sony seems to have gotten back to the 8bit panel in the Z550A. The Z450A has a 10 bit panel which was my reference for the Z series. Its surprising though that it went back to a cheaper panel for its flagship TV.

The Z series has 200Hz which the EX500 does not have. Even though the engine is advertised as the same, if you look at them side by side, the Z has significantly better image quality.

Sorry but I disagree with you reignofchaos. As far as I know, the differences that 200Hz scanning makes over 100Hz scanning is very marginal and should not be a major factor that affects a buyer's decision.

Similarly, in the side by side comparison you have mentioned, there are a lot of factors in play especially in showrooms. For example, when you compared the Z series (550 I hope) with EX500, were both televisions set to the exact "scene"? And were they both playing the same source? Because in my EX500, the factory preset settings for "Cinema" mode looks a lot plainer and the "Sports" / "Game" modes makes things appear really dynamic (and rather too bright to my taste). So if the Z series was set to "Sports" mode and the EX500 was set to "Cinema" mode then its really not a fair comparison.

I did a similar comparison between 46W550 & 46EX500 in the showroom and I ensured that they were on the same "Scene" (cinema), that they had the exact same video settings, and that they were playing the same source. And at least to my eyes, there were no major differences between both of them. And having used EX500 for close to two months now, I think it handles SD slightly better than other Sony models up to EX400 series. Caveat - I still think even EX500 does not do a terrific job in upscaling SD but its still better than BX series and EX400 series (I also have used a 40EX400).

Bottomline is that you should not dismiss any model without doing an apples to apples comparison.

-thekinge

Hm... you are right. Sony seems to have gotten back to the 8bit panel in the Z550A. The Z450A has a 10 bit panel which was my reference for the Z series. Its surprising though that it went back to a cheaper panel for its flagship TV.

The Z series has 200Hz which the EX500 does not have. Even though the engine is advertised as the same, if you look at them side by side, the Z has significantly better image quality.

The blacks are still sligthly better in the z550a,sony image processing varies even though they may be advertized as BE3, i have said this before, a perfect example is t550,bx300 vs s550,ex400 respectively.
The 200hz does make a difference sure it may not be by much.
The z and x series are sony high end to flagship models,they have different backlight,really good lcd panels,with sony specific color filter,outside glass/plastic layers etc.
Again the z450 which has the be2 vs w550a when playing sd content,the amount of shadow details the z450 shows is more then the w550 which has the be3

Last edited:
Back