Sony new models in 32"

rithesh

sony recently launched new 32" lcd tvs. If any any one bought these two models, kindly let us know its perfomance

1) KLV-32W550A
2) KLV-32V550A

:clapping:

The S series is a step back from the earlier S series TV. It only has 2 HDMI inputs, VS the S400's 3. I think that some of the features have also been cut down on. Of course, Sony being Sony, they have introduced one very, very important feature in the S550, that being the FM Radio. :eek:hyeah: :clapping:

I'd actually recommend the old S400, over the new S550. I saw the S550 at my local ezone and it was producing crappy pictures. This could be a flaw in the design of the set or else it could simply be bad adjustments made by the staff at ezone. I have the S400, and it's no slouch, Blu-ray discs look heavenly on it.

Going over to Sony's website, it seems that they have also updated the V series set and this one I'd recommend, based on the Full HD panel and the improved feature set on it's older V counterpart, for example 4 HDMI inputs against 3 of the V400. I could've bought the 32 inch V400 but went for the S400 because the picture quality was identical (both being 768P sets) and the only difference in the feature set being the inclusion of the Digital Media Port on the V Series set. That alone did not justify the 2K premium on the V400, in my eyes.

Last edited:
Visited Reliance Digital, Ezone & Sony Center.

Prices for the 32" SONYs were as follows:

32" S550 BE3 - Rs.39.9K
32" S400 BE2 - Rs. 39.9K (Yes same as the S550....don't ask why)

32" V550 BE3 - Rs. 48K approx., don't quite recollect the exact figure

32" W550 BE3 - Rs. 59.9K

The sales rep in one of the stores actually mentioned that the earlier 32" S series was better build quality & slightly better feature than the new S series. Yes, the new S series has an FM radio, but still he felt the earlier model was better. Anyone heard the same else where?

How does the 32"W400 compare to 32"W550 AND 32"V400 compare to 32"V550?

Any other thoughts / comments on the 32" SONY LCDs?

Which is the best 32 lcd sony or some other brand i dont think that full hd make big impact in 32 inch tv or does it sorry if moveing away form the thread

Which is the best 32 lcd sony or some other brand i dont think that full hd make big impact in 32 inch tv or does it sorry if moveing away form the thread

Correct, by and large FHD in 32" does not really make a difference. But these days one gets a FHD 32" almost for the price of HD Ready. E.g. The FHD LG Jazz is around Rs.39K and the SONY 32" S550 series is also around Rs.39K but is HD Ready. Samsung 32", 4 & 5 series are also good. For the 32" range, best would be for you to visit a store near you, spend an hour or so and pick up the one that looks best to you. Price wise they will be almost same, give and take a bit. Of course the new (550 series) 32" SONY V & W series will be a lot more, so if budget is a around Rs.40K, there are lots of choices in the 32" range.

well the best 32inch is the sony w550A and the samsung B650.

I had a detailed audition (Bluray,ps3 games and DVDs) of the Sony 32V550 side by side with the 32W400 at sony world.My first impressions:

Aesthetics : Lacks the classy finish and build quality of the W400. Looks more like a cheaper/older version.

Great blacks levels with superb detail retrieval.Good screen uniformity - great improvement on the trademark sony backlighting problem of previous models

Color accuracy - Best I have seen on any 32 inch LCD. Skin tones are on spot on.Whites are the super bright and devoid of any tint.

Has a game mode that can be calibrated (unlike samsung). Input lag on this TV with game mode on is virtually absent.

Overall PQ - Around 10% sharper picture than the w400 with absolutely no noise with bluray...extremely minimal noise with dvds.

This is definately the best 32 inch lcd I have seen. They did not have the W550 on display but the store manager informed me that the only diff is slightly higher contrast and 100hz motion. (which never seemed to impress me in any LCD TV).

I had a detailed audition (Bluray,ps3 games and DVDs) of the Sony 32V550 side by side with the 32W400 at sony world.My first impressions:

Aesthetics : Lacks the classy finish and build quality of the W400. Looks more like a cheaper/older version.

Great blacks levels with superb detail retrieval.Good screen uniformity - great improvement on the trademark sony backlighting problem of previous models

Color accuracy - Best I have seen on any 32 inch LCD. Skin tones are on spot on.Whites are the super bright and devoid of any tint.

Has a game mode that can be calibrated (unlike samsung). Input lag on this TV with game mode on is virtually absent.

Overall PQ - Around 10% sharper picture than the w400 with absolutely no noise with bluray...extremely minimal noise with dvds.

This is definately the best 32 inch lcd I have seen. They did not have the W550 on display but the store manager informed me that the only diff is slightly higher contrast and 100hz motion. (which never seemed to impress me in any LCD TV).

the V550A screen looks like it has a AMVA panel,while the W series had a spva panel.

Will this pose a quality issue?

the AMVA is just as good as the SPVA panels,even the pixel shape of new 3rd gen AMVA look almost like the SPVA.
infact in 2007 AMVA briefly took over the lead in contrast and after which both tech have been neck and neck,amva having a answer to every product the samsung semiconductor releases.the premium sony Z series uses a AMVA panel.
but the W series will still look better due to motionflow 100hz.

the AMVA is just as good as the SPVA panels,even the pixel shape of new 3rd gen AMVA look almost like the SPVA.
infact in 2007 AMVA briefly took over the lead in contrast and after which both tech have been neck and neck,amva having a answer to every product the samsung semiconductor releases.the premium sony Z series uses a AMVA panel.
but the W series will still look better due to motionflow 100hz.

By default can we be sure ALL V550 series have AMVA panels? Or do we need to peek inside the back cover with a light battery?

What about the 32" W400 series, which panel does it use? The 32" W400 does not have the 100hz motionflow.

By default can we be sure ALL V550 series have AMVA panels? Or do we need to peek inside the back cover with a light battery?

What about the 32" W400 series, which panel does it use? The 32" W400 does not have the 100hz motionflow.

no only the 32inch V550A appears to have a AMVA panel,the 40inch versions could have a SPVA or AMVA panels,well the sticker located insided the tvs is nowdays sitting quite low so even with a high powered torch it will be hard to make it out.easier way is too look at a pixel with 10x magnifying glass or a ultra zoom camera with good macro shot capapablilty.
the 32inch W400A uses a spva panel.
sony uses only these 2 panels.
samsung however is know to use different panels in the same size including the SMVA which frankly isnt as good as the AMVA/SPVA,the 32inch version could use the SMVA panels,usualy they have a bit washed out colors and lesser contrast.samsung however used to have letters at the back of the tv.if a tv has a C lettter best is to avoid them.

SONY India has updated its website to show the BRAVIA Engine (BE3) logo on their home page.

They still have not revised their prices for 32S400 & 40V400 LCDs even though their BE3 counterparts are out in the market now.

Any idea wether we can expect a 37" in the V550A series

Had the same question, but none of the sales folks (SONY Center, Ezone, Reliance Digital) had clarity on this point. And the SONY website does not speak anything of its forthcoming products.

Had the same question, but none of the sales folks (SONY Center, Ezone, Reliance Digital) had clarity on this point. And the SONY website does not speak anything of its forthcoming products

My local delaer is saying that Sony has never launched 37" in high end models eexcept the S Series. So there is little chance that we may see a 37" in other series but there is going to be another launch next month.

My local delaer is saying that Sony has never launched 37" in high end models eexcept the S Series. So there is little chance that we may see a 37" in other series but there is going to be another launch next month.

In case you are very interested in 37" LCD, may want to check out the new SAMSUNG LA37B530P7R or the SAMSUNG LA37A550P1. Compared to the SONY 37S400, looks like the SAMSUNGs have better specs (USB etc.), Full HD, better power consumption and very nice PQ.

Any idea wether we can expect a 37" in the V550A series

the 37inch version of v series hasn't been launched in most parts of asia,when they do launch it in my,sg or thailand u may order them in the grey market.the 37inch S series has been launched should be available in the grey market.

Last edited:
Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back