Sony or Samsung

vijayneema

I am verifying difference between following LCD TV models
Sony V series vs Samsung 5 series
Sony W series vs Samsung 6 series

Can anyone give me the major features which is provided by Sony or Samsung only.

Also, which one to buy ?

please go through the various discussions ont he TV threads. There's enough and more information about what you seek. It may be useful to first do some reading before posting a new thread.

This link talks about Panasonic/Sharp etc brands, I have analyzed all those brands and finally reached to select the TV among Sony or Samsung.

Please help.

please go through the various discussions ont he TV threads. There's enough and more information about what you seek. It may be useful to first do some reading before posting a new thread.

+1 ,there tons of threads with the info.i mean u digged up this old thread is that hard to see the other threads.u can't always expect some one to spoon feed u.

Sony PQ is better than Samsung any day no matter they source their Panels from single manufacturer.
My vote would be for Sony V or W series.

Guys i feel Samsung 5 Series is better than a Sony V series :sad:

I am planning for a 40" LCD now i am getting confuse in between Samsung 40" 550 and Samsung 40" 650, I am presently using a Samsung 21 old TV with a Reliance Big TV Connection.

Can any one suggest

Last edited:
for SD the sony does have the edge,details lost due to upscaling is lesser compared to the samsung ,but then again the samsung is cheaper.
if u found the series 5 to better,then go for it.but do compare them in SD but once u buy a tv u wan't be comparing it to another tv.

Guys i feel Samsung 5 Series is better than a Sony V series :sad:

I am planning for a 40" LCD now i am getting confuse in between Samsung 40" 550 and Samsung 40" 650, I am presently using a Samsung 21 old TV with a Reliance Big TV Connection.

Can any one suggest

Best would be for you to visit a multi brand store and compare both the tv's playing both SD and HD content.Let your eyes be your judge.

as far as ive seen sony sucks big time in SD picture quality.

Yesterday i have seen both the TVs i mean Sony V series and Samsung 550 i feel in comparing both Samsung clearity was better contrast and colour was also better i was in a mood to take Sony first :sad: now seeing Samsung i am confused..............

When i am going for a samsung i want to surf both 550 as well as 650 so that i can have the best....... bcos whatever i am going to buy with that for min 5 years i have to stick :lol:......

Please guide me so that i can go for the best.................:clapping:

Yesterday i have seen both the TVs i mean Sony V series and Samsung 550 i feel in comparing both Samsung clearity was better contrast and colour was also better i was in a mood to take Sony first :sad: now seeing Samsung i am confused..............

When i am going for a samsung i want to surf both 550 as well as 650 so that i can have the best....... bcos whatever i am going to buy with that for min 5 years i have to stick :lol:......

well u can make a VU brand looker better then sony or a samsung.if u go look at moserbaer they too have amazing contrast,in HD they probably look just as good as the other top companies and u will be wondering why pay a premium for other well know brands,but feed them with SD content,u will notice that the low end tier 3 lcds will have lots of noise,artifacts,with details lost due to poor upscaling.
as far as the sony V make sure its the V550A and not the older V400A check the settings from backlight to ACE in advanced menu.
the V550A has a AMVA panel its contrast is slightly less then the SPVA panel found in the W550A.
in the samsung it can have any panel ranging from SPVA to AMVA to SMVA,all vary in contrast,viewing angle,colors,input lag,RTC errors.
the SPVA will be the worst for a hardcore gamer,the SMVA,AMVA are better for gaming.the AMVA even as the edge in viewing angle.only the higher spec AMVA found in sony Z series have a contrast that can match or surpass the SPVA.
the SMVA is worst in viewing angles,colors.

Both are good LCDs. The BE3 on a SONY is supposed to upscale SD content slightly better. Have known instances where some have liked the B550 better while others the SONY with BE3 better. It comes down to personal choice and budget. The V series will be more expensive than the Samsung.

If you are talking about the 40B650 from Samsung, it is also very good but currently unavailable in most stores. The B650 should be compared with the W series SONY and not the V series.

Again i am standing on the same platform can any one guide me thats for sure i don wanna Sony as it is very expensive secondly i am more or interested going for a Samsung 650......

The major problem out here in Jaipur is this particular system is not available in any of the samsung shops ...........

As i have been saying that i have to stick for minimum 5 to 7 yrs.....

Guys help me out...................

Again i am standing on the same platform can any one guide me thats for sure i don wanna Sony as it is very expensive secondly i am more or interested going for a Samsung 650......

If budget is important then the Samsung 40B650 (approx. 80K) is more expensive than the SONY 40V550 (approx. 70K).

If the B650 is not available, have you considered the Samsung UA40B6000 LED? During the festive season you may get good prices if you choose not to take the 22" 'free' Samsung LCD.

In Jaipur i am getting a good deal for 550 Samsung, It is costing me Rs 59,500/ Plus one DVD player and some DVD movie pack.......

And secondly this 650 Samsung is not available in any of the stores here......

Presently we are viewing 21" ordinary TV........

My room size is 18'X18'.......

I had same dilemna when I purchased lcd in Jan. That point it was BE2 S/V series vs Samsung series 4/5.

I still feel BE2 had more features and sony has cut some connectivity options in BE3 which makes samsung series 5 best buy.

You can also look at one philips model which is rated above sony n samsung in tech2 reviews.

Thanks.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back