Sony TC-366 Solid State Reel to Reel

Record Player

Gents - I very recently inherited a Professional Vintage Sony TC-366 Solid State spool player along with maybe 50 English classic tapes.

e7ho.jpg

lmtt.jpg

t2s8.jpg

Some key highlights of this deck:

Classic model from Sony TC-366 is a 4-track, 2-channel stereo / mono.

Special features are:

Noise supressor to cut off high frequency noise.
Tape-tension regulator to reduce flutter and wow.
Automatic shut-off mechanism.
Tape selector for Low noise or High Output.
Slanted cabinet designed for convenience of, operating in either horizontal or vertical use.
7-1/2 and 3-3/4 are ideal for recording music when best sound quality is desired.
1-7/8 is ideal for speech especially when longer recording time is needed.
Built in Noise Suppressor allows full pass-band for the major part of the audio frequency range, as it does not affect response frequencies below 9kHz.
Mixing can be made by using the mic inputs and the RCA inputs simultaneously.
Sound on Sound function composing a mixed recording on one track tape,and a new external signal through one of the microphone input.
This option on 366 can create a one person record a duet, trio or other special effects.

Now, ive been told the motor has burned out and needs replacement and I don't think this is easy to find.

What do you reckon of this deck and how difficult is it to replace this part. Can I look at other brands for this motor and will it work?

Looking forward to your suggestions as this is my first attempt to look after these.

Last edited:
the deck looks great

My suggestion on the repair part is , go step by step process

first open the deck and check if the motor is actually gone bad or is it not getting power

if gone bad then try to check if you find any specification written on it, that will help you if you come across same spec motor

All the best

Tanoj

I am just getting my vintage Akai M-8 valve Reel to reel back on track. I did not use it for a very long time and both output transformers were burnt. Just got them rewound. You should really check and see if the problem is with the motor

I am just getting my vintage Akai M-8 valve Reel to reel back on track. I did not use it for a very long time and both output transformers were burnt. Just got them rewound. You should really check and see if the problem is with the motor

A good suggestion Sir. I will have this checked first. This player looks so intriguing and cant wait to start play. I've read that these players do produce some quality sound.

If the motor is burnt, you've had it, difficult to get a spare. So lets hope its not the case.

I have a high end Akai GX630D with a burnt motor and I somehow managed to find an expensive NOS replacement in the United States, after nearly a year of searching. Mine has a direct drive mechanism which is quite cool, and eliminates the need for those complicated mechanicals and rubber belts.

The interesting thing about the machine which I got is that it is in almost brand new condition in original box and packaging.

Need to change its filter caps as they seem to have dried electrolytes, due to long-term storage (slight powersupply hum can be heard)

Your machine was one of the Sony workhorses from the late 1960s and 1970s, and if serviced well, will definitely sound great.

7 1/2 inch speed is the best for any kind of recording but your play-time will drop drastically.

Last edited:
If the motor is burnt, you've had it, difficult to get a spare. So lets hope its not the case.

I have a high end Akai GX630D with a burnt motor and I somehow managed to find an expensive NOS replacement in the United States, after nearly a year of searching. Mine has a direct drive mechanism which is quite cool, and eliminates the need for those complicated mechanicals and rubber belts.

The interesting thing about the machine which I got is that it is in almost brand new condition in original box and packaging.

Need to change its filter caps as they seem to have dried electrolytes, due to long-term storage (slight powersupply hum can be heard)

Your machine was one of the Sony workhorses from the late 1960s and 1970s, and if serviced well, will definitely sound great.

7 1/2 inch speed is the best for any kind of recording but your play-time will drop drastically.

Thanks Reuben for these details. Well I only hope the motor has not gone kaput! Good thing is that I stay very close to an extremely knowledgeable person/technician who can work on these players. Lets see how it goes.

On another note, I've never used these players earlier so don't know what to expect. I intend to just listen to those 50 English classic tapes I have. Do you reckon anything else?

And Oh, surely now you are a complete Direct Drive Fan on all mediums on music equipment :D

Cheers...

My Akai M-8 is one of the most collectible Reel to Reel. I am also trying put together a Nakamichi-1000 Tape Deck.Again a collectible item. More about these later.

Awesome. Do post pics!
Do you plan to do a recap?

Yes Quad I was happy it worked just fine. Well may not do the recapping right away as to be honest I don't think I would be using this as often as my turntables. I am not very inclined towards these spool players as well and I found it quite a hassle to play tapes on them :)

Back