Sony UBP-X700

vj_box

Hello all, I am looking to pick up a UHD player and my Bro can carry it from Germany.

Wanted to know if the X700 model is good enough and if its region free to play all UHD and HD BDs ?

Thanks,

Vijay

Last edited:
I have bdp-s6700 from US. not sure about discs. But only Netflix and YouTube show up for me in apps section.
I checked with customer support they said apps and discs follow region. There is one YouTube video that says holding yellow button on remote allows you to play other region blu rays. Haven't tried myself

As far as I know uhd don't have region locks

I have bdp-s6700 from US. not sure about discs. But only Netflix and YouTube show up for me in apps section.
I checked with customer support they said apps and discs follow region. There is one YouTube video that says holding yellow button on remote allows you to play other region blu rays. Haven't tried myself

As far as I know uhd don't have region locks
Does yours play all BDs from different regions ? How about copied Bluray discs bought locally ?

I doubt that the BD Player that you are planning to buy would be region-free. I think it would be locked to Region B.

I too bought by Sony BDP-S7200 from the UK in 2015. Mine too may be locked to Region B, but I haven't encountered any issues when playing BDs for 2 reasons I think.

A. I many times buy the BDs from Amazon UK, and since the region is same, I think I haven't faced any issues (but I try to get region-free from Amazon UK as much as possible)

B. I also buy BDs from Amazon India, which are officially released in India, which are region-free.

And oh yes, UHD discs (or 4K discs) are region-free, hence you should not face any issues playing the UHD discs, on the BD discs are region-locked.

I think you too can do the same. Let me know if you need any more info.

Thanks.

Regards,

Pushkaraj

I doubt that the BD Player that you are planning to buy would be region-free. I think it would be locked to Region B.

I too bought by Sony BDP-S7200 from the UK in 2015. Mine too may be locked to Region B, but I haven't encountered any issues when playing BDs for 2 reasons I think.

A. I many times buy the BDs from Amazon UK, and since the region is same, I think I haven't faced any issues (but I try to get region-free from Amazon UK as much as possible)

B. I also buy BDs from Amazon India, which are officially released in India, which are region-free.

And oh yes, UHD discs (or 4K discs) are region-free, hence you should not face any issues playing the UHD discs, on the BD discs are region-locked.

I think you too can do the same. Let me know if you need any more info.

Thanks.

Regards,

Pushkaraj

Thanks for the info Pushkar. So I guess the solution for BD discs would be buy the region free ones. How do these players play local Bluray discs ? I mean the ones that we buy from grey markets which are usually copied. Does these players play them ?

Thanks for the info Pushkar. So I guess the solution for BD discs would be buy the region free ones. How do these players play local Bluray discs ? I mean the ones that we buy from grey markets which are usually copied. Does these players play them ?

Hi,

I haven't used any BDs which are copied. All the discs that I have are officially launched movies on BDs (either from the UK or in India). I haven't seen BDs which are available in grey market (I know DVDs are available, but never heard about BDs) hence may not be able to comment on such discs. I guess you would completely defeat the purpose of BDs if you are going to use the grey market BDs since the PQ will not be upto the mark and I guess that is the sole and foremost reason why we use BDs instead of regular DVDs.

But there are definitely alternatives available to grey market BDs where you do get almost all new movies atleast in 1080p resolution.

Regards,

Pushkaraj

Hi,

I haven't used any BDs which are copied. All the discs that I have are officially launched movies on BDs (either from the UK or in India). I haven't seen BDs which are available in grey market (I know DVDs are available, but never heard about BDs) hence may not be able to comment on such discs. I guess you would completely defeat the purpose of BDs if you are going to use the grey market BDs since the PQ will not be upto the mark and I guess that is the sole and foremost reason why we use BDs instead of regular DVDs.

But there are definitely alternatives available to grey market BDs where you do get almost all new movies atleast in 1080p resolution.

Regards,

Pushkaraj
Sure. Not that I will be popping them in often but wanted to check for the occasional ones. Thanks. I am now looking to pick up the x800 model.

Sure. Not that I will be popping them in often but wanted to check for the occasional ones. Thanks. I am now looking to pick up the x800 model.

Right. I too was about to suggest you the x800 model. When I was in the US last year, I was planning to get the x800 since it was only costing $249, but did not buy it as it was region locked to A and buying the BDs from US is a lot more pain than getting them from the UK.

Hope other competitors will also launch soon, then we might get better options and the price as well:), thanks for Sony opening the door for 4k player in India after a long period of time... or Finally...

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back