Sony V series ?

vinod_david

Banned
Banned
Hi all.

How is SD in V series, it has got that Bravia 2 Engine, has it done any good with SD quality ? Inclined towards 32" V series.

Thanx for your replies.

Sorry to hijack this thread, but the issues are somewhat interlinked. Is there any real difference in picture quality or performance between the V series and S series. As far as the specs are concerned they seem identical except for some additional connectivity on the V series. And the V series also looks a littl eposher, and the price difference seems par for the course for such minor differences.....so......is there any tangible difference in the panels or their performance??

one thing i noticed is that the v series uses the version2 of their graphics engine while the s series has version1

when i wanted to buy an LCD 32 inches , i was looking for Sony / Panasonic / Toshiba . I found the Toshiba 32WL66 to be better then the other two, kindly check the toshiba also , this particular model has won a group test in Whats hifi .

david

when i wanted to buy an LCD 32 inches , i was looking for Sony / Panasonic / Toshiba . I found the Toshiba 32WL66 to be better then the other two, kindly check the toshiba also , this particular model has won a group test in Whats hifi .

david

Where i can see a demo of Toshiba in Chennai and how much did it cost you, how is SD picture in Toshiba ?

thanx.

the toshiba,panasonic,hitachi all use AIPS these panels have a good viewing angles but their contrast are at best 50% of what the sony and samsung .the best of AIPS panels produces around 1000:1 measured contrast compared to the sony models like 32,40,46 inch W series and 40,46 inch S,V series which produces a measured contrast of 2500:1(advertised as 3000:1) the new samsung models produce a contrast of 2340:1 they both are only beaten by the plasma like pioneer Kuro,panasonic ,pioneer the best has a contrast of 3500:1.
also the sony models produces the best black level of 0.10cd/m2 and samsung is a close second has a black level of 0.17cd/m2 while the best of toshiba are at distant last at 0.39cd/m2.
compared to pioneer plasma which produces a black level of 0.05cdm2 not far behind is sony's 0.10 cd/m2.

Last edited:
hi adder, thanks for that valuable info, but while the Sony and Samsung would trump the AIPS based panels in black .....i hear the reverse is true for colour reproduction.....do you have a view on this? is this correct?

hi adder, thanks for that valuable info, but while the Sony and Samsung would trump the AIPS based panels in black .....i hear the reverse is true for colour reproduction.....do you have a view on this? is this correct?

while i was in the impression that AIPS produces colors like plasma and SPVA panels produced colors ,thats a bit different i was wrong since,since i was comparing the sony W,V series lcds which use a wide gamut color display which makes colors like red,green a bit deeper.and its different from panasonic or toshiba,but recently i checked the samsung and sony S series and colors where just like the one u find in panasonic or toshiba.since they dont use a wide gamut color display.
(WCG-CCFL)wide color gamut backlight are now days used by all sony high end lcd and samsung .toshiba and panasonic havent yet used this .but all future flat screen tech like OLED claims they have a very wide gamut colors display exceeding the current lcd backlight tech.

Last edited:
Back