Sony VFET 2 :)

A little update to my Sony build, with single transformer of 4 individual secondaries and 2 universal PSU boards got it to sing beautifully. Not 100% a perfect dual mono build but nevertheless I am happy with how good it has turned out with the cabinet space being the constraint. Had to mount the transformer vertical to save some space. Here are the pics:

2ajc2f4.jpg

24kz0wi.jpg

35idonm.jpg

21eyp1d.jpg

Super!
Can you send me the Ali express link for the cabinet? How long did it take to get here?

Thank you. Me and couple of other friends (members) together brought the cabinet from aliexpress without the heat sinks to reduce the costs. I will PM you the link to the cabinet. With the heat sinks the shipping costs are very very expensive and also the custom charges which I think is more on luck for DIY items like cabinets.

Hi Guys!
It's awesome to discover a thriving discussion thread on VFETs right here, in my very own favourite backyard of Hifivision forums!
I recently purchased a Yamaha B2 from (well, no prizes for guessing ;-) fellow forum member Krell.
Between an amazing train journey from Mumbai to Rajahmundry and a wonderful meet (& sumptous dinner) with Mr. Rao and his amazing audio setup as well as his collection of exotic amps, I finally had my first look & hear at the legendary VFET-shod B2.
The sonic signature is stunning to say the least.
Mind you, this coming from someone who listens to a Yamaha A-S2000 on a regular basis.
As of now my current setup is an Oppo 105D via balanced outs to the A-S2000 in preamp mode to the B2 powering a pair of Wharefedale Dentons (80th Anniversary).
So far so good.
One song that I play to check speakers bass response and get an idea of the punch (slew rate & the likes) that an amp can deliver is George Michael's Hard Day. At around 47 seconds into the song the slapping bass is quite punishing. Especially at fairly more than moderate volume.
The A-S2000 would maintain the pace until about 11 'o clock of the volume dial. And then the speakers bass response would sag.
BUT
With the B2 (Using the A-S2000 as preamp), you can dial up the volume to 12 o Clock (I didnt go dare beyond) & the bass response is stunning to say the least. No sag, no flub, none of that brrrrr overdrive. Just pure transient bass that dares you to up the pace of the B2. Sublime.

I am NOT going to wax eloquence about the soundstage, since much of it has already been discussed. The Yamaha B2 is the pinacle of all things that is definitely good and comes as close as to the holy grail of audio sonics that I have been seeking.

Make note though - The sonics are crisp and dry. And not a shade of brightness or going slack. It is definitely an overall well-balanced sonic signature.

If the (85 db spl, fairly inefficient) Dentons were running around with the A-S2000 (Make no mistake - Its a gorgeous, relatively affordable, beautifully balanced amp of fairly epic proportions) following it, the B2 feels like as if it is commanding the Dentons to jump, effectively having the Dentons ask - How high?

With the A-S2000 driving the Dentons, I always had a slight itch about considering an active bass module. Heck, theres no place in the house anyways. BUT, thanks to the B2, not anymore.

The amp, as rightly pointed out by Krell in his 2016 review on the forums, does run a tad warm. BUT keep it well-ventilated in the open & you shouldnt expect temperatures moving beyond 48 deg celsius for moderate to fairly loud volumes operating in excess of 3-4 hours.

I also connected my Wharfedale 240s (fairly efficient at 88 db spl) to the B2. Well, it felt like a Jamaican basement jax house party. Im not into Jamaican house parties. Ergo the 240s went back into the A-S2000. They love each other, I guess.

In between Jazeboo, Spyro Gyra, Anne Bison, Diana Panton, The Guess Who, Blood, Sweat & Tears, Steve Vai, Eric Johnson, David Bowie, Dream Theatre, Foreigner, Uriah Heep, Joni Mitchell, Seal, Steely Dan, Busta Rhymes (LOL! The track Dangerous on the 240s had my neighbour pounding the door!) & so many others.... It's being drenched in sheer sonic delight of the B2.

The amp on its own is deadly silent. Which is why I strictly adhere to an on & off protocol in handling the amp with TENDER, LOVING, CARE ALWAYS!

Aesthetics is well, what was the best the 70s could offer. And yet still remain effortlessly in style in our times with those beautiful analog VU meters. In fact complementing the A-S2000, which lacks those VU meters.

The B2 is a direct coupled amp BUT frankly I found no difference between the DC and the normal setting. In fact Normal setting is preferred because the capacitance in the path protects the speakers from potentially damaging DC signals. Potentially, because I sincerely believe that the amp's high quality relays can filter rogue DC signals should the need arise. But then again, always good to err on the side of caution. Especially when there is no upside.

This has been a great buy & a massive gamble BUT so far, so good.

Aaron

Great going with a VFET amp Aaron congrats on the purchase :)
Thank you for the kind words Manniraj!
Apologies if I hijacked the thread with my post. But amongst all the others, this thread is a lively discussion centered around your sumptous Nelson Pass-designed Sony VFET-based amp.

And it's gorgeous to say the least. I look forward to crossing paths with you on your thoughts on all things audio, especially VFETs.

Warm Regards mate!

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back