Sony Walkman NW-A46HN.

apoorvasheth

Hi All,

I am planning to buy Sony A46 Walkman in about couple of weeks once I get my salary credited. However before going ahead with this choice, I want an expert opinion on this forum whether buying this Sony Walkman is an intelligent decision or is there a better product out there in the market to go ahead with? I can spend between Rs. 18'000 to Rs. 19000 INR (Indian Currency).

The features in this exclusive walkamn such as "High Resolution Audio", "DSD", "Noise Cancellation" is available in their high end cell phones as well but I have to than spend anywhere between Rs. 35'000 to Rs. 40'000 INR which is like quiet on a higher side cost wise.

Now these are my findings and opinion before purchase of Sony Walkman:

Reasons I look forward to buy SONY Walkman A46:

1. Sound Quality: Though some of its audio quality effects features are being made available in their high end phones but still this being an independent Walkman player would have the kind of Chips, Circuit Board and special sound enhancing professional level effects implemented on board which not even a cell phone would have if compared.

2. Portability: It will be much easier and lightweighted to carry this Sony A46 Walkman compared to cell phone + this Walkman offer an acceptable sized display to choose songs making life easy.

3. Battery Backup: While SONY claims 45hrs of battery backup but even if I have to consider more than half of it i.e. 20hrs than, still its not a bad choice at all if compared with any cell phone whose battery drains within no time due to multiple functions and features leaving back very less time for listening to music!

I am a pure music lover and I feel this Walkman perfectly fits my needs as it is being meant just for pure music lovers & nothing other scrap to ensure the listeners get maximum amount of its usage time rather than getting turned off within just 2-3hrs due to battery drainage like that of a cell phone.

4. Radio: YES! Thankfully, SONY considered implementing Radio as well in this Walkman player so if I get bored of listening to my pre-stored songs in this Walkman than, I can quickly switch over to Radio and listen to different radio stations.

5. The SONY Sound effects which is being considered "The Best" when it comes to an outstanding deep Sound & Video clarity!!!

Drawbacks:
1. No Wifi: If I hear a song anywhere outside in the surroundings or on Radio and want to "Instantly" listen to the same Song again than, unlike on cell phones where I can immediately download and listen to the same Song again, here in this Sony NWA46HN Walkman, I just can't. I mandatorily need a Cell phone or a Laptop to 1st download the song and than transfer it to this Walkman using Bluetooth technology and this way of making a dependency on external device to acquire songs is a big failure & a huge disappointment for customers which Sony has completely overlooked!

Anyway'z, please share your valuable opinions on this product before I take my purchase decision in next week & don't regret later on my choice.

Link to product >>>
https://www.sony.co.in/electronics/walkman/nw-a40-series

Regards,
Apoorva.

Screenshot_20180725-175513.png

Last edited:
If you want good sound quality, focus only on that. If you also want Wifi and streaming music, remember you will need to add all those components in the same enclosure which will suck more battery and if they have to keep the price in the range, they have to sacrifice on the other components. Which is why Phone Audio quality usually sucks (They focus more on Screen and Camera and not much on audio other than the high end ones). If you need streaming music, you always have the phone. If you need great quality sound in lossless and hires format, players like this will be much more efficient. I have a FiiO X1 from 3 years back and it still beats the sound quality of the phones that we have now.

This particular Sony Walkman is actually good as read in some reviews. If you want to consider alternatives, you can check out FiiO M7. But Sony is still a good choice.

Hi All,

I am planning to buy Sony A46 Walkman in about couple of weeks once I get my salary credited. However before going ahead with this choice, I want an expert opinion on this forum whether buying this Sony Walkman is an intelligent decision or is there a better product out there in the market to go ahead with? I can spend between Rs. 18'000 to Rs. 19000 INR (Indian Currency).

The features in this exclusive walkamn such as "High Resolution Audio", "DSD", "Noise Cancellation" is available in their high end cell phones as well but I have to than spend anywhere between Rs. 35'000 to Rs. 40'000 INR which is like quiet on a higher side cost wise.

Now these are my findings and opinion before purchase of Sony Walkman:

Reasons I look forward to buy SONY Walkman A46:

1. Sound Quality: Though some of its audio quality effects features are being made available in their high end phones but still this being an independent Walkman player would have the kind of Chips, Circuit Board and special sound enhancing professional level effects implemented on board which not even a cell phone would have if compared.

2. Portability: It will be much easier and lightweighted to carry this Sony A46 Walkman compared to cell phone + this Walkman offer an acceptable sized display to choose songs making life easy.

3. Battery Backup: While SONY claims 45hrs of battery backup but even if I have to consider more than half of it i.e. 20hrs than, still its not a bad choice at all if compared with any cell phone whose battery drains within no time due to multiple functions and features leaving back very less time for listening to music!

I am a pure music lover and I feel this Walkman perfectly fits my needs as it is being meant just for pure music lovers & nothing other scrap to ensure the listeners get maximum amount of its usage time rather than getting turned off within just 2-3hrs due to battery drainage like that of a cell phone.

4. Radio: YES! Thankfully, SONY considered implementing Radio as well in this Walkman player so if I get bored of listening to my pre-stored songs in this Walkman than, I can quickly switch over to Radio and listen to different radio stations.

5. The SONY Sound effects which is being considered "The Best" when it comes to an outstanding deep Sound & Video clarity!!!

Drawbacks:
1. No Wifi: If I hear a song anywhere outside in the surroundings or on Radio and want to "Instantly" listen to the same Song again than, unlike on cell phones where I can immediately download and listen to the same Song again, here in this Sony NWA46HN Walkman, I just can't. I mandatorily need a Cell phone or a Laptop to 1st download the song and than transfer it to this Walkman using Bluetooth technology and this way of making a dependency on external device to acquire songs is a big failure & a huge disappointment for customers which Sony has completely overlooked!

Anyway'z, please share your valuable opinions on this product before I take my purchase decision in next week & don't regret later on my choice.

Link to product >>>
https://www.sony.co.in/electronics/walkman/nw-a40-series

Regards,
Apoorva.

View attachment 29140

I remember buying a 2GB version somewhere in 2006 for my wife (Girlfriend then) for Rs 5000/-...it was small and sleek...there was a certain software to be used to load the songs in mp3 format on the player and it also worked on a single batt cell....it is now parked somewhere in the house lying unused. I even have the Mini Disc player from Sony which i paid Rs 15000 somewhere in 1999.

If you are really going to use the Walkman almost everyday to hear music then it makes sense to invest.

I too live in the busy Mumbai city and Music is my passion (Used to be an active DJ in the past). Given the hectic work life and the crowded transportation of the city....handling 2 devices becomes a challenge.....

I use a Samsung S6 Edge 128 GB cellphone which is one of the high end phones of Samsung and it works like a charm. Almost 60 to 70 GB is filled with only songs of different genres in 320kbps quality...roughly 1200-1500 songs.... next, I use the VLC media player (free from Google Store). You can adjust the 10 band EQ to your expectations or use the presets (Rock/Hall etc). This works for me now for more than 18 months and no issues till date. Regardless, battery will get drained to an extent....but thats the cost one needs to bear....

Finally, I use Boat Bass Head earphones 225 .....they are excellent value for money and performance.

Before investing in the Walkman, you can try to use the VLC player on your cellphone and the Boat earphones (225 model only...check if your friend has them and hear them...) try for a couple of days and decide.....

Finally it is your decision to go for a standalone Walkman if you wish......

I used this particular Sony for a while, quite recently sold it.
Sound quality wise it was not bad, I would not say great but good. One of the reasons why I sold it was the smaller screen. With my chubby thumbs it was a little difficult to navigate effectively and quickly.

I have a different recommendation, pick up a HTC 10 or even a HTC A9, I swear by the sound quality of these. I can live very very happily with either of these two as a dedicated DAP. You have the flexibility of choosing your own player, eq settings and streaming apps, bigger screen and plenty of flexibility.

My HTC is my primary and only music player for me on the move, pair with quality earphones (you probably have your favourite) and be happy.

I used this particular Sony for a while, quite recently sold it.
Sound quality wise it was not bad, I would not say great but good. One of the reasons why I sold it was the smaller screen. With my chubby thumbs it was a little difficult to navigate effectively and quickly.

I have a different recommendation, pick up a HTC 10 or even a HTC A9, I swear by the sound quality of these. I can live very very happily with either of these two as a dedicated DAP. You have the flexibility of choosing your own player, eq settings and streaming apps, bigger screen and plenty of flexibility.

My HTC is my primary and only music player for me on the move, pair with quality earphones (you probably have your favourite) and be happy.

Hi!

Thanks for your reply! You mean you used Sony NW-A46HN in particular? Well, when you mentioned above: "...sound quality wise it isn't bad" so does it mean it doesn't offer an outstanding great sound effects & that feeling of music as if it's being performed right in front of my eyes; at such highly priced product of Rs. 17'990/- and that too from a brand like SONY?

Hi All,

Thanks to all of you for your wonderful inputs with great efforts showcased by each one of you as it can be clearly reflected in your individual replies. I again did a quick review check of this Sony Walkman and the most horrible thing about it that I just realized is that this it doesn't support Bluetooth transfer of any files from Mobile to it than it's like I always need to carry a laptop and the included USB Cable in order to transfer and listen to any of the songs which means while SONY did not implement Wifi functionality, it equally didn't bother at all to atleast allow file transfer via Bluetooth which is so bad, and than they charge such extra ordinary price of Rs. 17'990/-.

Again if the touchscreen for some reason doesn't function or gets damaged than, I don't have an alternate means of listening to the songs in this Walkman which is a serious concern such that I'll than get totally stucked with a dead product!

I am really now confused....

Hi All,

Thanks to all of you for your wonderful inputs with great efforts showcased by each one of you as it can be clearly reflected in your individual replies. I again did a quick review check of this Sony Walkman and the most horrible thing about it that I just realized is that this it doesn't support Bluetooth transfer of any files from Mobile to it than it's like I always need to carry a laptop and the included USB Cable in order to transfer and listen to any of the songs which means while SONY did not implement Wifi functionality, it equally didn't bother at all to atleast allow file transfer via Bluetooth which is so bad, and than they charge such extra ordinary price of Rs. 17'990/-.

Again if the touchscreen for some reason doesn't function or gets damaged than, I don't have an alternate means of listening to the songs in this Walkman which is a serious concern such that I'll than get totally stucked with a dead product!

As per configuration provided by Sony, it supports Blutooth...

WIRELESS CAPABILITIES
Bluetooth® Ver 4.2, NFC: Yes

Note - There is also a dedicated key for music play and volume
https://www.headphonezone.in/collec...gital-audio-players-daps/products/sony-nw-a45

Hi All,

Hi,

You got nothing to lose to try the suggested path.....download VLC media player on your android phone or IOS device and use the same. Ensure your music content is at least 320kbps or better files and use a good pair of ear phones (Boat Bass heads 225)

If you still feel you need a stand alone player, you can then invest....

Hi,

You got nothing to lose to try the suggested path.....download VLC media player on your android phone or IOS device and use the same. Ensure your music content is at least 320kbps or better files and use a good pair of ear phones (Boat Bass heads 225)

If you still feel you need a stand alone player, you can then invest....

I have Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge Plus phone & have just downloaded VLC Media Player. I use the supplied headphone with it. I'll play around with the equalizer settings and see how good it can sound playing different types of songs.

However, the truth is that "No Software" in this world can replace the hardware else BOSE effects could have been achieved from basic level home theatre as well using some xyz software but that's just not practically possible. BOSE surely use very high end quality material with great hardware technologies to output excellent sound quality. It's hardware capabilities cannot be found in low end home theatres. Same applies the difference between a Mobile phone's hardware & Sony dedicated Walkman.

Again, battery drainage is the Prime concern and while travelling anywhere whether at work, picnic, outstation trip, on flight, in trains, etc...the battery has to last for a 1 & 1\2 days which can be possible only with these dedicated MP3 Players as it's purpose is only to play music and That's it! No Facebook , Browsing, WhatsApp, Photo or Video Recording, etc... However, SONY should have implemented Video playing option and than leave it to consumers to decide that if they want longer playing hours than better just listen to MP3 songs else watch videos but with less battery backup duration. This can also be solved if they include very high power batteries to last for 1 complete Day with both Audio & Video being played throughout the day.

I have only 2 prime concerns at this point in time:

1) What if for some reasons the touch doesn't work. While agreed that they have dedicated music keys as Krishroy just mentioned above but I need to obtain a documented proof from Sony be emailing their customer care team with this question.

2) Wi-Fi is not included neither can it allow to transfer files between it and other devices which can be a Cell Phone/Laptop so I will be crippled with the only option to keep going back home from where I will be at that point of time and have heard some beautiful song in the surroundings; and than connect the USB Cable and download and transfer the song I heard at that some place & this is just practically impossible what SONY expects out of a customer.

I'll check on this as well with SONY Customer Care team via email.

Thanks for the replies. I'll post back soon once I receive a revert from SONY Team.

Regards,
Apoorva Sheth.

Last edited:
Hi

My original Samsung earphones died on me....so i shifted to Boat...using VLC player on the phone for almost 2 years now....no issues....sounds as close to my Marantz AVR + Bose Speakers + Cambridge Audio setup at home.....toy with the EQ ...you will be surprised as to what you can achieve...

"BOSE surely use very high end quality material with great hardware technologies to output excellent sound quality"

- the last thing this forum members would like to hear ;) the only thing they do better than other hifi is hi end marketing. And they are great at it. I admire their ability portraying mediocreness as greatness into ignorant brains ;) something to be learned if you need to startup with something.

Hello All,

Well, yesterday I visited Sony Exclusive Centre or Sony Centre is what they call at Lower Parel and also spoke with couple of Sony Centre in Malad & Borivali on the call. Well, after questioning them about this SONY Walkman NW-A46HN, what I realized is that they have absolutely no idea what the product's capability is and have no in-depth technical knowledge. They are just their like a layman to ask customers to give money and buy products. What I also realized is that their tone & behaviour was very rude and they don't have any softer & courteous way of speaking.

My opinion is that Sony really doesn't seem to invest well to get good quality staff and ultimately the customers are at the receiving end. Infact their sales representatives argue with customer at its core and blame the customer only that I don't have any knowledge about the product or that I am confused with my own question whereas based on my interaction with both Sony Centres at Malad & Borivali, I realized that they themselves have absolutely no good in-dept technical knowledge about the product whereas I had done my complete homework before contacting them.

I already have Sony 65X8500D LCD TV which has given me worse experience picture quality wise as it just did not live upto my expectations and their post sales service was a nightmare as nobody from Sony was bothered to help me.

So what I've realized is that both pre-sales and post sales service of Sony are worse & horrible with lack of technical knowledge of people at the store.

Anyway'z, this was my question to them:

I did a audio specification comparison of this Sony Walkman NW-W46HN with few higher end phones of Sony such as Sony Experia XZ Premium models and what I've realized is that most of it is already available in the XZ Premium phones so my question is that what has to be that 1 great reason for me to choose this standalone Sony Walkman player (and spend such huge amount of Rs. 17'990/-) over the XZ Premium phones which offers me everything apart from just playing music which none of the staffs at Sony Centre store or Sony Exclusive Stores were able to answer it correctly only b'coz they failed to have good in-depth tech knowledge about the product itself.

The reasons to exclude are:

1) Longer battery life.
2) Less cost compared to XZ Premium phones.
3) Size of carrying the device is smaller compared to XZ Premium phones.
4) The high quality Noise Cancellation in-ear headphone which included in the package.

Apart from these 4 points listed above, what is that 1 or more strong reasons for me to choose this SONY Walkman NW-A46HN over Xperia XZ Premium phones which Sony employees failed to answer it.

Can anyone help me with this please?

It's really getting complicated b'coz it's very costly product and I want to be 100% sure that I don't end up taking wrong decisions...!

Thanks all for your valuable time & answer to this above question in advance!

Last edited:
I bought Fiio x5 3rd gen Hi res Player For Rs 19990 from fiio india official distributer on 15th August I am quite satisfied with this product.

I bought Fiio x5 3rd gen Hi res Player For Rs 19990 from fiio india official distributer on 15th August I am quite satisfied with this product.

Hi! Thanks for your input! I went through the product website and have few questions in my mind which if you could please address it:

1) Does it have a radio FM Tuner? (Most important for me)

2) Since this has Wifi in it (which Sony Walkman unfortunately doesn't) so can I download any songs via browser?

3) The website mentions about 2 modes of charging available for this Walkman - a) Via USB b) Via a Power Adaptor (e.g. Samsung Mobile's Charger adaptor). Is this true? The Power adaptor isn't supplied in the package so do you use any other Mobile company's power adaptor to connect the supplied USB cable to it and charge the Walkman?

4) SONY offers: High-Resolution Audio compatible, S-Master HX™ (CXD3778GF) digital amplifier for pure sound quality, Digital Noise Cancelling and ambient sound mode, Digital Sound Enhancement Engine HX (DSEE HX™) upscales compressed digital music files (MP3, ACC, ATRAC and WMA) and takes them closer to the quality of High-Resolution Audio?

5) Is In-ear Headphones included in the package which is at par with Sony's IER-NW500N/NE?

Hi! Thanks for your input! I went through the product website and have few questions in my mind which if you could please address it:

1) Does it have a radio FM Tuner? (Most important for me)

2) Since this has Wifi in it (which Sony Walkman unfortunately doesn't) so can I download any songs via browser?

3) The website mentions about 2 modes of charging available for this Walkman - a) Via USB b) Via a Power Adaptor (e.g. Samsung Mobile's Charger adaptor). Is this true? The Power adaptor isn't supplied in the package so do you use any other Mobile company's power adaptor to connect the supplied USB cable to it and charge the Walkman?

4) SONY offers: High-Resolution Audio compatible, S-Master HX™ (CXD3778GF) digital amplifier for pure sound quality, Digital Noise Cancelling and ambient sound mode, Digital Sound Enhancement Engine HX (DSEE HX™) upscales compressed digital music files (MP3, ACC, ATRAC and WMA) and takes them closer to the quality of High-Resolution Audio?

5) Is In-ear Headphones included in the package which is at par with Sony's IER-NW500N/NE?

1 I have not gone through all functions yet,

2. yes, and you can also download any app, Prime Music, ganna You tube, listen online FM radio stations unlimted options

3. Yes you can charge it with mobile charger also, Power adopter in not supplied.

4. You can download any Hi Res player.

5. Headphones are not supplied in the package, You have to purchase them seperately, I and currently using Sennheiser HD 4.40 BT headphones

Drawbacks
1. Limted WiFi range
2. battery life only 10 Hours

Last edited:
@a66: Thanks for your quick reply!

2. yes, and you can also download any app, Prime Music, ganna You tube, listen online FM radio stations unlimted options

My ques: I mean does it have an in-built browser to go to any xyz website download mp3 and other format songs? And if yes than can it upscale the quality of the song downloaded to near to High Resolution quality automatically? Did you tried it?
So the FM Radio can be listen to only if I am online which means it doesn't have an in-built FM Tuner wherein internet isn't required.

3. Yes you can charge it with mobile charger also, Power adopter in not supplied.
Great!

Since it must be having its own in-built Hi-Res player so does there still a need arise to download any 3rd party Hi-Res player?

5. Headphones are not supplied in the package, You have to purchase them seperately, I and currently using Sennheiser HD 4.40 BT headphones.

@a66: Thanks for your quick reply!

My ques: I mean does it have an in-built browser to go to any xyz website download mp3 and other format songs? And if yes than can it upscale the quality of the song downloaded to near to High Resolution quality automatically? Did you tried it?
So the FM Radio can be listen to only if I am online which means it doesn't have an in-built FM Tuner wherein internet isn't required.

Great!

Since it must be having its own in-built Hi-Res player so does there still a need arise to download any 3rd party Hi-Res player?

5. Headphones are not supplied in the package, You have to purchase them seperately, I and currently using Sennheiser HD 4.40 BT headphones.
1. Yes it has browser, you can also install google chrome, yes you can download from any site.
2. The built in player has viper effect software which can upscale the quality, You can also download apps which can upscale SQ

But don't you think Fiio is an unheard brand and what if tomorrow they close down or move away than its like you will be stucked with their product when it requires repair/service. In comparison, SONY is a well established big reputed brand.

The only problem over here is that unless I have both the players in front of me and listen to the same song of 320kbps on both the players, it becomes absolutely difficult to exercise my judgement. The only drawback Sony's Walkman have is the absence of Wi-Fi in which Fiio is a step ahead. Also while Fiio offers upto 384khz, Sony Walkman NW-W46HN max capacity is till 320kbps so I wonder if that really makes a difference?

The electronic consumer world has become such today that you buy and you experiment and if God forbid due to some reason the product didn't live upto your expectation than live with it forever, there isn't any refund. It's all gambling. Such as I bought this huge 65inch Sony 4k 65X8500D LCD TV with very big expectations but it totally failed in terms of picture clarity even on HD Channels via my Airtel STB HD+ Box. I gambled and now I have to live with it. Now neither can I TRASH it nor can I resale it as it won't fetch that higher resale price.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back