Sound card for logitech z-5500

gudllu

Hi guys,

From 2001 till last month i was using a creative Cambridge inspire4.1( white coloured) speaker system connected to the on board sound card . It was really awesome. Well i am a rock n rolla fan and i used to get goosebump when i listened to those tracks. Though the sub-woofer was moderate in size but it was powerful. And the most important thing which i liked about it was that, at low volume the high and the mid range were very distinctive and they never used to get mixed. Each instrument being played on the track was noticeable. Even at low volume i used to get goosebump.

Recently i got a logitech z-5500 for 16.5k. It sounds ok with my on board sound card. At high volume the logitech performs well but at low volume i am not getting that kind of punch that i used to get from the creative. When i inquired about this to an sound engineer he told me that since the size of the cone of the creative speakers is less than that of the logitech speaker, creative speaker can deliver more acoustics in lesser power(volume) than logitech speakers. So he told me to get a sound card and boost the mid and the high range from the software. And when i asked him about the sound card he said he doesnt know much about sound card(He uses the Yamaha and korg mixers) and instead he told me to join "hifivision" and ask u guys!.... So here is my question

For which sound card should i go in?

Note: the speaker system has the DTS decoder and Dolby decoder for the optical and coaxial inputs. Dont know about the analog one. I am not so tech savvy. So please correct me incase i have mentioned something wrong.

Your reviews would be really helpful because lot of guys like me will be really confused about the sound cards for their high end multimedia speakers.

Thanks a lot

lots of logi fans here.. get a card which have a digital output.. however asus xonar is said to be audiophile card.. whats the budget you are running on .... ???

... he told me that since the size of the cone of the creative speakers is less than that of the logitech speaker, creative speaker can deliver more acoustics in lesser power(volume) than logitech speakers. So he told me to get a sound card and boost the mid and the high range from the software.
Hmmm... I'm not sure about either his reasons or his conclusion!

You've already got a sound card: the one that is built in. It is quite likely that either the software that controls that, or the software you use to play your music, will allow you to boost different frequencies.

For instance, I use VLC. Under the Tools menu is Effects and Filters. VLS is not very richly supplied with such things, but still, there is the Graphic Equaliser tab ... and that's what you want.

You can start finding out if this is what you need without spending a single penny! (sorry, paisa: still get my countries mixed up sometimes).

Whilst they are a great deal better than they were a few years ago, built-in sound cards are still not going to rival a half-decent add-in card (or external interface/DAC). If I was a salesman, though, I wouldn't be promising that changing the card would fix your specific problem with your particular speakers.

I have Xonar DX paired with vs4121.... Sounds pretty awesome... with onboard audio, music was muffled and sucked...

@ ironhorse: my budget is around 4-5k

and guys could yo please mention the prices

Last edited:
I would also recommend the Xonar DX....not sure about the new Titanium series from Creative, heard they were also comparable.

Xonar via Analog Out to Z5500 is pure win...can't say the same about Optical Out since the Z5500 DAC is quite crappy IMHO,sounds low and muffled but analog-wise, it will rock the socks off u.

The sound output may depend on sensitivity of speakers.Smaller cons sound bright & so can be heard on less volum level too.
If you are fond of both mov & music,then get Xonar ST which has good analoge out for strereo & has spdf out for movies.ST can also be epanded as 7.1ana out with seperate board.

The sound output may depend on sensitivity of speakers.
Indeed. That is part of what I was trying to say in my last post, but didn't manage to put in so many words. A new sound card may give better quality overall, but may very well not cure this problem.

Let me repeat, however, that it is not a pre-requisite for boosting low and high frequencies for low-level listening. Try that in software anyway!

guys

i asked about the asus xonar dx to the distributer. he said it is out of stock in india..

guys do any other alternative

@spirovious

dont you think spending 5035rs for this sound card is worth, because its distributor price is 3800rs. and moreover the distributor price for d2x is 7500rs

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back