Sound Output from AK Jr

Gauravdp

I got an Astell and Kern AK Jr yesterday, without any memory card.

My intended aim is as follows:

I have some music stored in the form of mp3s (mostly 320 KBps) on my laptop (Win 10, 8GB, On board sound). I also have some CDs that I play on my laptop.

I listen to music on my headphones (Sennheiser / Grado) and more often on my Swans M200 MK III that I connect directly to my mobile phone / earphone output on my laptop.

I am dissatisfied by the sound quality from both the sources (cellphone / laptop) and hence bought this AK Jr to serve as an external DAC / dedicated music player to connect to my speakers / earphones. The reason for using this as an external DAC is that I would be streaming music from the net using my laptop, which I want to play using the AK Jr.

However, to my dismay, I find that the music quality (especially the loudness, even despite using the volume wheel) is much lower in AK Jr compared to when I connected to my mobile phone (One Plus One), which had much better output and loudness.

Also, when I am connecting the AKjr as an external DAC connected to my laptop using the USB port, there's no sound at all. (I tried both USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports, same results). The DAC is being sensed by the laptop, and it displays the AK as the default sound device when connected, yet there is no sound output. Completely zero, no sound in speakers or earphones connected to the AK. Obviously I'm missing something. Can anyone help?

There will be sound settings in your AKjr that some similar called "Use USB as DAC" and "Use headphone out as audio out". Just try searching these settings in your music player.

As Vinoth has mentioned above, you should see three options pop up whenver u connect AK jr to your computer via usb to use it for charging or storage or usb dac. You need to select the dac option and output needs to be set as line out.

However I did not like it much as a standalone dac. I guess it is not a true line out. Compared to it, my FIIO x5 (gen 1) sounded much cleaner as dac.

But I do love the sound of AK Jr. Wolfson chips are definitely musical to my ears.

I have a question about AK Jr model..

Is this available only in DAC model? or Non DAC model is also there?..

I am planning to buy it soon..

Sent from my Mi 4i using Tapatalk

I have a question about AK Jr model..

Is this available only in DAC model? or Non DAC model is also there?..

I am planning to buy it soon..

Sent from my Mi 4i using Tapatalk

There are no two different models, it is just one same player. But it does have functionality to connect to your computer so that you get output from the player giving you flexibility to use it with content on computer.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back