Soundbar or AV receiver?

Symbian41

"Hello everyone! I'm looking to explore the world of advanced audio formats for movies, and I have a few questions.

Dolby Digital (AC-3)

Dolby Digital Plus (E-AC-3)

Dolby TrueHD

DTS-HD Master Audio

DTS:X

Dolby Atmos

Auro-3D

Im interested in knowing the latest and most immersive options in formats. Which are most common and should support in soundbar decoding.

Secondly, I'm considering purchasing a soundbar to enhance my audio experience, but I also want to achieve the actual 5.1 speaker setup feel. With a budget of around 25,000 to 30,000, I'm open to buying second-hand speakers that are around one month to one year old. However, you can suggest me something under 60k new price that I can buy used one. you suggest the best approach to maximize the audio experience within this budget?

Is it good to buy AV receiver and speaker setup or soundbar will do the decoding too.

Im also open to go with high quality AV setup with 2.1 speakers and upgrade later to ads more speakers.

I'm open to any recommendations and tips to make the most out of my setup. Thank you!"

"Hello everyone! I'm looking to explore the world of advanced audio formats for movies, and I have a few questions.

Dolby Digital (AC-3)

Dolby TrueHD

DTS-HD Master Audio

Dolby Atmos

Auro-3D

Im interested in knowing the latest and most immersive options in formats. Which are most common and should support in soundbar decoding.

Secondly, I'm considering purchasing a soundbar to enhance my audio experience, but I also want to achieve the actual 5.1 speaker setup feel. With a budget of around 25,000 to 30,000, I'm open to buying second-hand speakers that are around one month to one year old. However, you can suggest me something under 60k new price that I can buy used one. you suggest the best approach to maximize the audio experience within this budget?

Is it good to buy AV receiver and speaker setup or soundbar will do the decoding too.

Im also open to go with high quality AV setup with 2.1 speakers and upgrade later to ads more speakers.

I'm open to any recommendations and tips to make the most out of my setup. Thank you!"

Hi

Firstly welcome to HFV.

I am sure you will find your experience here very enriching and enjoyable.

Make sure to visit the countless posts which is based on direct experience, technical knowledge and honest feedback.

You need to go through posts under What Should I Buy and Home Theatre.

Everyone has different perspectives between soundbar and a full system, everyone has different tastes in volume and what they like to hear and have as features. Space to place the system is another issue.

My advise, please visit the various dealers and understand the quality and sound differences between a sound bar and a full system. Make sure to hear / watch the same content when auditioning these systems.

Once you make up your mind between a sound bar or a full system then you can check the systems in your budget. Pre owned would make sense and please audition before buying anything. Do your research and read reviews of the brand / model. See you tube videos to get a better understanding.

All the best!

You've listed most of the up to date surround sound formats.
Finding a solution at the price point will be impossible. Even used gear.

Consider a Sound bar only if space is a problem. The multi speaker or unit ones do work well. Will likely cost more that a AV Receiver setup and unlikely to sound as good.

You'll need to put aside Atmos and Auro 3D for now.

The Quoted section is the way to go. Start small and build your system slowly and as funds permit. Unfortunately, that minimum price point will have to start around the 100k mark.

If you find a well priced, used mid tier AV receiver thats <10 years of age (..and not broken), grab it. You won't get Atmos and Auro. You should get everything else, Network Streaming included. Pair this with something like a Polk MXT20 or a PSB Alpha P5, a used Sub woofer (Not mandatory. Only if you can find one) and you're on your way to building something nice.

There are a lot of options. Listen to everything you can before putting down any money.

Dolby Digital (AC-3)

Dolby TrueHD

DTS-HD Master Audio

Dolby Atmos

Auro-3D

That's a tough budget to get all the new formats packed in. Moreover the prices currently are really high even for a simple system. What costed 50k just a couple of years ago is easily over a Lakh now.

If you live in a flat i would suggest a sound bar. It's convenient, easy to use and can be installed cleanly in. Living room. On the contrary if you have a dedicated or a large room then yes go for a full blown home theater system. However in a budget the upgrade bug will bite you really soon.

Do check out reviews for this sound bar. ZEBRONICS Juke BAR 9750 PRO 5.1.2 Surround Dolby Atmos 525W Soundbar with Subwoofer, Dual Wireless Rear Satellites, HDMI eARC, Optical, Bluetooth 5.0, Wall Mount & Remote Control https://amzn.eu/d/9k4lrjM

Check out sound bars from JBL and sony too which have non Atmos offerings in this budget

Good luck,
MaSh

Soundbar are usually not great when it comes to dialogues. Get a soundbar that has a center channel. I haven't owned a soundbar in your budget, but, the JBL SB250 I have in the bedroom, does cause some echo, whereas the 5.1 in the living has none. Dialogue legibility is much better in a proper 5.1

AVR + full system will be better any day. In AVR you will have lot of tunning options+ Audyssy Eq controls + Manual Eq controls which allows you tweak the system in full potential. Also you will have variety of options of speakers + SUB to choose with.

Soundbars are very confined and cannot match the SQ of AVR+ full system. You can go with sound bar only if you have space or budget constraint.
BOSE makes better sounding with compact size speakers ( of course its not best sounding system which audiophile and most prefers) , but their compact size sound bars sound good. Check out them as well.

your budget will get you soundbars only. Which are not great. Dialogue wise and music wise. Suggest you go for a 2.1. Aiyima D03 amplifier (13.5k) with 2 speakers (15 to 20K)will serve the purpose. and within your budget. Check out hifimart.

your budget will get you soundbars only. Which are not great. Dialogue wise and music wise. Suggest you go for a 2.1. Aiyima D03 amplifier (13.5k) with 2 speakers (15 to 20K)will serve the purpose. and within your budget. Check out hifimart.
So 5.1 soundbar won't be able to provide a surround effect?
what about this https://www.amazon.in/Yamaha-YHT-18...1&qid=1684873063&sprefix=yamH,aps,1080&sr=8-2

I can spend upto 40k for new

Yamaha YHT-1840 4K Ultra HD 5.1-Channel Home Theater System with Dolby and DTS - Black​

Came to know, Aiyima D03 Toslink does not support 4K TV. So that's out of question for you. Personally am not happy with soundbars. .Anyway if its possible to Audition before buying would be better. You know exactly what you are buying.

Came to know, Aiyima D03 Toslink does not support 4K TV. So that's out of question for you. Personally am not happy with soundbars. .Anyway if its possible to Audition before buying would be better. You know exactly what you are buying.
I'm not using any Blu-ray player. Does this change the situation?

I'm primarily using VU Premium Masterpiece TV for playing movies from a PC network drive using Kodi on TV and youtube + offline music using Kodi on TV.

How does audio have to do something with 4k video?

If PC is your source, check out

Logitech Z906 5.1 Channel Surround Speaker System

This should be a good system for movies as well as music. And fits your budget. This could prove to be better then a 30k 5.1 or soundbar system.

MaSh
PC network drive is the source.

I want to play directly using my TV not on my pc via Hdmi.

So without blu-ray is AV setup not worth it? For prime Netflix or offline bluray movies on network drive.

If PC is your source, check out

Logitech Z906 5.1 Channel Surround Speaker System

This should be a good system for movies as well as music. And fits your budget. This could prove to be better then a 30k 5.1 or soundbar system.

MaSh
PC network drive is the source.

I want to play directly using my TV not on my pc via Hdmi.

So without blu-ray is AV setup not worth it? For prime Netflix or offline bluray movies on network drive.
Ah okay. In that case if your TV has Optical out, you can use that with this Logitech system. There are many who swear by this model. The issue today is that a decent sounding 5.1 system with a receiver + speakers or a soundbar will cost a lot more. Even if you get such a system, the itch to upgrade will come in quite quickly.

MaSh

Agree with @MaSh

The Yamaha package you listed may or may it satisfy you, I can't comment on that as I haven't auditioned it.

A base AVR+Speaker combo would be Denon X250BT(34k) + Taga TAV 507 5.0 package(38k). You are looking at an expense of around 72k. This is the minimum you would spend on a basic HT set-up.

You can also look at Mission M-CUBE 5.1 package, which should be around 30k.

Last edited:
I started building my audio system 11 years ago when I first picked up 2 tower speakers from Sonodyne (annual sale) and a used DENON AVR (1611). I added a used sub (Acoustic Energy) and a used centre (Focal Chorus) 3-4 years ago. which are both better quality than the tower speakers.

I don't have the budget to harmonize them all, but the sound has significantly improved from just the towers. The centre makes the dialogues much better and the sub is really really good. The AVR still works even though its video out is broken. I connect all HDMI to my TV (also 11 years old and I'm now looking to upgrade) and then send optical out to the AVR.

So in 11 years I have spent a total of 75k on sound. I don't have latest Dolby stuff but its a really good 3.1 setup that easily beats any soundbar.

Good quality speakers will probably outlast us! Not so sure about soundbars.

I plan to stay with the sound setup until the TVs stop supporting optical out or the AVR conks off!

V
I started building my audio system 11 years ago when I first picked up 2 tower speakers from Sonodyne (annual sale) and a used DENON AVR (1611). I added a used sub (Acoustic Energy) and a used centre (Focal Chorus) 3-4 years ago. which are both better quality than the tower speakers.

I don't have the budget to harmonize them all, but the sound has significantly improved from just the towers. The centre makes the dialogues much better and the sub is really really good. The AVR still works even though its video out is broken. I connect all HDMI to my TV (also 11 years old and I'm now looking to upgrade) and then send optical out to the AVR.

So in 11 years I have spent a total of 75k on sound. I don't have latest Dolby stuff but its a really good 3.1 setup that easily beats any soundbar.

Good quality speakers will probably outlast us! Not so sure about soundbars.

I plan to stay with the sound setup until the TVs stop supporting optical out or the AVR conks off!
Smart work sir

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back