Soundbar or basic speaker setup?

skuba

Hi,

I am finally getting rid of the old LCD and getting a new one. Would also like to stop using the amplified 5.1 generic brand from walmart that I won at my old company's bingo!

Trying to find out how is the quality of a decent sound bar compared to a basic 3.1 or 2.0 setup with decent speakers. With a toddler at home, fI don't plan to setup any more extra speakers for now. I guess the disadvantage of the speaker setup is having to buy a bulky receiver.

suggestions for brand/models are very welcomed.

Hoping I can figure this out soon and take advantage of potential BF offers.

I appreciate your help.

Thanks

SKUBA,

Could you share the Budget you have for the Audio System.

Also what is the percentage of your listening on Movies and Music

Whats is the source of the audio? You going to connect it from the Set-up box or some DVD,CD,LAPTOP etc?

SKUBA,

Could you share the Budget you have for the Audio System.

Also what is the percentage of your listening on Movies and Music

Whats is the source of the audio? You going to connect it from the Set-up box or some DVD,CD,LAPTOP etc?

Hey AUdio_Freak, thanks for the reply.

Budget depends on the value. For a soundbar I was thinking around $200-300 taking advantage of some BF sales. For a speaker setup, if I learn that it's indeed way superior, I could spend around $200 on a receiver and $300 on speakers.

It would be mostly for movies and occasional music. Music source would be iPhone.

Thanks

Hi Audio_Freek thans for responding.

Budget is relative depend on the quality I would get. I am definitely not interested in the cheapest or the most expensive, looking at mid-range solution.

For soundbar prob $200-$300, for speakers + receiver, if I learn it would be much superior even at a 2.0 or 3.1 setup maybe spend up to $500. Just have no idea where to put the bulky receiver in my stand.

One potential issue for soudbar is that the TV sits on the media center. This is the TV I am buying:

48 Class LED H6350 Series TV UN48H6350AFXZA | TVs

This TV's stand is only about 3.2" high, so I would need a soundbar that wouldn't cover the screen. Also, see how the stands spreads "spider" style, I would probably have to put the TV way back to set a soundbar in front of it, right?

Thanks again

SKUBA,

If you are sure to have only Surround bar.You could go with it.But am sure afte some months or year you would feel "Not Enough" and upgrading Surround bar is not a best option For Now you could settle with a Stereo.Later you could add Sub woofer,or sell Stereo amp and go for AVR.
Kindly check the thread http://www.hifivision.com/speakers/43536-recommendations-soundbars.html to decide

Hi, I am leaning towards setting stereo only good speakers. If I want to avoid the bulkness of a receiver, I need an amp, right? Unless I get active speakers. Controlling volume through amp might be annoying. Do you know of an amp with remote control that I could configure on a universal remote?

Thanks

SKUBA,

Most of the entry level Amps come with remote :) So Remote should not be any constraint Also you you need remote ?

Because you going to connect the Amp from the TV And volume can be controlled via TV Remote .In Case you have plans to listen music from Laptop then an Android application could control the volume and tack in the Laptop :)

Small, entry level amp and speakers would go fine for your current requirement i believe.

Hi Skuba,

I think a lot depends on the size of the room as well. A good decent sound bar would suffice if you aren't a big fan of highly explosive movies with a myriad of sound effects and the room housing the TV+Sound Bar isn't very capacious. There are a number of sound bars which also have a sub-woofer with them. Check them out.

Have a look here as well: Best sound bars of 2014 - CNET

I just don't want all those cables running across the home.. so gave up the idea of 5.1 system.. Only option for me is Soundbar or Soundplate. Also don't want to spend a fortune. Finally decided on Philips 2163B with HDMI ARC and a separate Subwoofer costing 12K. Shall be good enough for my little upgrade from my TV speakers. Another option is Philips 3140 with Wireless subwoofer costing 17K.

Shall be good enough for my little upgrade from my TV speakers. Another option is Philips 3140 with Wireless subwoofer costing 17K.
BNYoqy

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back