Speaker Cable and electric cable in one pipe

mayankdesai

My home is undergoing rennovation and I had instructed my interior contractor to put Speaker cables concealed inside the wall.*

Due to lack of my supervision, my interior contractor has put in the surround speaker cables in the same pipe as of electrical cables. :( :(

Upon researching a bit on internet I found some articles which suggests not to put Speaker cable and electrical cable in same casing.*

I dont own a hifi system as of now, but I am very apprehensive about quality of my surround speakers if the electrical cable signal interferes with speaker cable signal.

I have put in C&E brand 14 AWG oxygen free cable. The distance between my AVR and surround speaker will be 30 running feet.

Could anyone suggest if anybody has done similar setup and facing any major issues of interference?*

I am almost done with painting work. Now re-doing the concealing job will be a big task :(

Regards,

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

Hi

There should not be much inference as long as the cables used are good quality and also the electric wires are of better quality with ample insulation. hope both are not twisted together....

Unless you going in for a highly resolving system, in a ambient noise free room, i am not sure you will hear any noise while playing movies.(again assuming you do get noise disturbance)

Hi

There should not be much inference as long as the cables used are good quality and also the electric wires are of better quality with ample insulation. hope both are not twisted together....
Thank you Sir. I have kept the set up as is and have kept my fingers crossed :)

Unless you going in for a highly resolving system, in a ambient noise free room, i am not sure you will hear any noise while playing movies.(again assuming you do get noise disturbance)
Thank you Sir. I have kept the set up as is and have kept my fingers crossed :)

I believe the 30' speaker cables you are talking about, are for potential surround speakers. If yes, don't worry much. Surround speakers are just for effects and you don't even need to put too much money on the those speakers either.

+1 to Keith.

30 feet is long distance. chances of picking up hum are more. Connect and listen if there is hum without anything playing (Amplifier/AVR switched on and volume is little above moderate level). Why can't you pull out speaker cable ? Normally electricians put enough space to pull out wires if need arises. If possible and if there is a problem you can replace it with shielded speaker cable. Take help of professional electrician.
Regards.

+1 to Keith.

30 feet is long distance. chances of picking up hum are more. Connect and listen if there is hum without anything playing (Amplifier/AVR switched on and volume is little above moderate level). Why can't you pull out speaker cable ? Normally electricians put enough space to pull out wires if need arises. If possible and if there is a problem you can replace it with shielded speaker cable. Take help of professional electrician.
Regards.
Thnx for ur response. There is enough space that speaker cables can be pulled out and again laid. Can you suggest if there is any such cable which can be safely put together with electric cables. If yes, then bingo!

At this point crossing your fingers and hoping for the best is all you can do. The fact of the matter is that you will NOT know till you connect them and try them out.
Yeah. That's the best I can do as of now. :)

Thnx for ur response. There is enough space that speaker cables can be pulled out and again laid. Can you suggest if there is any such cable which can be safely put together with electric cables. If yes, then bingo!

First do check if there is any hum or interference. Choice of long speaker wire will depend on speaker load and amplifier capabilities. Lower impedance speaker draws higher current so may need thicker copper wire. May be some Home theater expert will chime in as I am clueless about home theater amplifier and speaker connections.
Regards.

IF after connecting and listening you find that your speaker cables need noise rejection - a simple thing to try is to twist the two conductor wires [you may need to split the cable in the middle to twist them - I don't know], reinsert the twisted wires and try - that may be all that is needed.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back