Speaker Cable Length

~3meters each for L and R.

The shorter the better. After placing your speakers, measure the exact length required.... Add half a meter more on each cable for placement flexibility. Ensure both L and R are same length.

3 meters should be max,but for most rooms 2 meters would be even better.If the audio rack is placed in the center then 2 meter each cable would be able to provide app.10 foot separation,more than enough for rooms where the short wall is less than 16 feet.
If your speakers are in front of the short wall,firing down the length of the room,and the audio rack is in the center,then 50% of the length of the short wall is ideal.A speaker placement of 15% away from the sidewalls and 70 % separation is what works for me.Toe In would increase the depth of the soundstage while increasing the separation would increase the width.Distance from the backwall should be between 20-30% of the length of the room.Essential to use banana plugs or spades.Bare wires seem to splinter,gather dust and become a messy affair with time.
Placing the Audio rack in the center makes cable selection easy.Fitting source/amp into a shelf with a long uneven distance to the two speakers is where trouble begins....
One of the reasons I don't like 5.1 channel is because generally longer lengths of cables are required,in most cases leading to budget related compromises on the quality of cables.I wonder how many home theater installations use VDH,Cardas,Kimber,Nordost or Transparent cables.Would cost a serious amount of money.

Ajay

I am not a great fan of expensive esoteric cables for speaker application. IMHO they are a way to make one part with hard earned money-but as I say, to each his own!

Cheers

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back