Speaker cables | No BS Objectivity vs. ??? | Skin effect et al.

Articles from Igor, a Russian Engineer and audio circuit Designer.

Translated from the Russian:
Read this first, second, and third.

Yenjoy! :D
Understanding Russian would be easier compared to reading a technical paper in English. Anyways this thread would spice up as the topic on speaker cables! On stand by to witness some bloodshed action here :)

Understanding Russian would be easier compared to reading a technical paper in English. Anyways this thread would spice up as the topic on speaker cables! On stand by to witness some bloodshed action here :)
Well written articles will almost always end with a summary/gist/conclusion of the findings. Sometimes, that is all that it takes... :D

In my limited experience, cables do change sound in some way. If putting a rubber pad under feet of my amplifier changes the sound, there is no reason to believe why a physical cable change will not. it’s other thing that some people won’t care about such changes and will be happy with whatever cables they have and that’s perfectly alright. and you don’t need golden ears to perceive the difference, just calm mind and silence.like they say there is no fire without smoke, there are differences that’s why companies are able to sell them for thousand of dollars. Only thing that pisses me is that people with expensive cables tend to think that they have some ultra superior cables that will make any system the worlds best, that’s a myth, most of these guys would need only 10 dollar cable. Venture into expensive cables only if you know what to expect from them.

Last edited:
I have had cables costing upto USD 5000. All they do is impart a color to every recording. It took me years to figure it out. I always used to wonder because when I used to hear stuff at studios, each recording sounded different. Ditto with vibration control and racks. Have used stuff upto USD 20000. Majority of them are rubbish. Only SRA stuff was good.

I have had cables costing upto USD 5000. All they do is impart a color to every recording. It took me years to figure it out. I always used to wonder because when I used to hear stuff at studios, each recording sounded different. Ditto with vibration control and racks. Have used stuff upto USD 20000. Majority of them are rubbish. Only SRA stuff was good.

I now use wooden squares cut from fruit boxes under my dac. Somehow it makes sound sweeter and tastier. That’s what would matter most I suppose.

I spent money on cables and learnt the hard way :)

Today I use USD 4 IC and USD 10 speaker cables. Perfectly happy with them.

Realised if you need to use expensive cables and power cords, there is something wrong with the design of the electronics.
So true...

Personally, I find that most expensive cables "tune" the sound... some will like, some won't... but standard wires are perfect most of the time. Unless there is some deficiency in the setup that needs to be tuned...

Articles from Igor, a Russian Engineer and audio circuit Designer.

Translated from the Russian:
Read this first, second, and third.

Yenjoy! :D
Wonder what prompted the OP to start one more thread on the gastronomics of cable :).
You should have stated "Start reading from end of article 3". Only then will the sequence of the links be in phase and be aligned with time for the common man. Else most like me would not survive beyond the 1st para of article 1 ;) .

I have also moved to simple cables for analogue although for digital some "Flavour to taste" helps..

If you want your system to sound good with basic cables you need really good components with synergy and set up well in room. Any compromise and you do need some " tone adjustment" which cables provide.

Firearm12, using wooden blocks under a piece of equipment is sensible. The wood blocks will dampen the sound a bit and add a touch of sweetness. The thicker the block, more the damping. Similarly softer the wood, more the damping.

And just to clarify, I hear differences between cables. What I don’t like is the audiophile cables impart their signature on all the songs.

Last edited:
My experience with 'high end' cables has been similar. Plenty of BS and eventually they color the music.

While cost is an important factor, you can't discount the inconvenience inherent in some of the cables when it comes to flexibility and convenience. Friggin ridiculous when trying to turn a tight spot between equipment.

Wonder what prompted the OP to start one more thread on the gastronomics of cable :).
You should have stated "Start reading from end of article 3". Only then will the sequence of the links be in phase and be aligned with time for the common man. Else most like me would not survive beyond the 1st para of article 1 ;) .
I saw what you did there. Very witty! ;)

Actually, there are 2 very simple "recipes" that are embedded in there for making low inductance (which many say is critical for a speaker cable) cables. Not elaborate and cheap! I like cheap because I am!

Last edited:
I saw what you did there. Very witty! ;)

Actually, there are 2 very simple "recipes" that are embedded in there for making low inductance (which many say is critical for a speaker cable) cables. Not elaborate and cheap! I like cheap because I am!
You know I could not get past the first para either but took Kannan's suggestion and started reading from the end of article 3 which worked !!!! I am no longer ashamed of my cheap cable.

It will be interesting when everything goes wireless and then we feel wifi colours the sound. Debate on Ethernet cables also.

As for me, I am an audio addict. I am trying to shed the habit but it’s fun - for everything everyone has an opinion anyway - some say drinking coffee with milk is sacrilege, and others say if you sugar you are having coffee kheer. And when it comes to whiskey….everyone is a purist no?

As long as you are having harmless fun, enjoy. If your cable makes the system sound different, hey it’s your money. I offer no apology for my choices. Spend money wisely but spend it for sure!

I will surely be googling for low inductance cable today. Aiyo!

Wonder if this will trickle down to audio cables … and make a difference

Cable do sound different but matching them with system is most difficult part. Not just speaker cable even power cable changed the sound of system not necessarily in good way every time but it does.

Back