speaker choices - B&W, KEF, paradigm

newsounds

hello to all...i'm to new to this forum as well as hifi systems, having never owned one. now trying to decide on a complete system of our home. here's what i have shortlisted after spending some time listening to energy, kef, b&w, atlantic technology, dali, usher, paradigm, definitive, martin logan & klipsch (i realize there's probably a few dozen comparable or better i've not listened to either).

the shortlist is B&W (683 or CM7), paradigm studio 60 and KEF IQ90. while i realize its purely a personal listening thing, would like your suggestions/advice and any notes from personal experiences. please help.

im currently in the US for a few months and have the opportunity to buy it here. but with potential negotiable prices, is it better to buy them in india?

i've been reading posts on this forum and find a lot of useful advice. specifically im interested in dinyaar's take on the B&Ws (i've noticed you are not a huge fan of the 683s).

thanks.

greetings...thx for your observation...im going back to listen to dali again...i notice this forum has a huge fan following for european speakers compared to american made.

im looking at marantz, pioneer elite or an integra for the av receiver. 70%+ of the usage will be music and the rest movies (mostly drama with emphasis on the spoken word).

initially only looking for front and center channel. not sure about making it a surround system and in no hurry for a sub.

any thoughts? also is it better to buy in the US if i have access to easy shipping (i plan to load it along with my buddy's home goods that he is shipping back to india).

Well Marantz are best for Mov + Music both,
Second comes Denon.Pioneer & Sony both are to follow.
Select spk & then the AVR :)

any thoughts? also is it better to buy in the US if i have access to easy shipping (i plan to load it along with my buddy's home goods that he is shipping back to india).

newsounds - AFAIK other than Usher, i believe every brand that you mentioned would be cheaper in the US. So yes if would be better to get it over in TR or whatever method your buddy is using. However, if you were to short list the Usher then you will get a comparable or in many cases cheaper prices than in the US. Check with Odyssey here on the forum, he will give you a better idea on pricing from Usher. I think this pricing may be true for Dali as well, but am not 100% certain.
Cheers
Sid

@ Newsounds.
If your emphasis is more towards music then IMO you are better of buying a pair of speakers, a sub & a stereo amp. Rather than a center channel & a surround receiver since you are not looking to build a complete HT.

To enable members to give better advice on Brands & Combinations it would help if you could share your music preferences & budget.

I also think that you should get your amp form the US, provided it works on the Indian 220v. Many speakers are normally competitively priced in India(NOT B&W) when compared to the international pricing, but you may get better bargains in the US.
All the best.
Cheers

hello to all...i'm to new to this forum as well as hifi systems, having never owned one. now trying to decide on a complete system of our home. here's what i have shortlisted after spending some time listening to energy, kef, b&w, atlantic technology, dali, usher, paradigm, definitive, martin logan & klipsch (i realize there's probably a few dozen comparable or better i've not listened to either).

the shortlist is B&W (683 or CM7), paradigm studio 60 and KEF IQ90. while i realize its purely a personal listening thing, would like your suggestions/advice and any notes from personal experiences. please help.

im currently in the US for a few months and have the opportunity to buy it here. but with potential negotiable prices, is it better to buy them in india?

i've been reading posts on this forum and find a lot of useful advice. specifically im interested in dinyaar's take on the B&Ws (i've noticed you are not a huge fan of the 683s).

thanks.

check out the monitor audio silver series as well. you should be better off buying in the US esp if you're coming back on transfer of residence where you will not have any customs duties

:D

thanks.

Hi Newsounds,
Firstly sorry for the delay in this reply as I am really caught up in moving apartments once again as my home is being renovated. I am hardly active on the forum anymore.
From your shortlist I have not heard the paradigm.
I prefer the CM7 to the Kef in every way. I dont say it just cause I am a B&W fan. U are right I have mentioned in quite a few threads that I dont like the new 600 series. IMO it does too much and is too boxy (at least the FS)

Buying from the US is fine. just keep in mind the huge boxes u are going to lug back. The cartons are much larger than the speaker as there is loads of protective packing and each speaker is packed seperately. Its quite a headache and I only carried back a small bookshelf! I dont think I would venture to bring back a floor stander. The distributor here will rip u if u ever need warranty repairs/ replacement as its not got thru him. Naturrally the issues of customs and excess baggage are always there too.
Apart from the B&W loads of other speakers are available in India at close to US retail which can be an equally good option. I guess its a personal preference for what u perceive as great sound.
Rgds

dinyaar and all the guys who responded. thanks.

you've raised a very valid question on buying floor standing speakers in the US and shipping them back. shipping is not an issue, since my friend will have a container. but dinyaar's point on warranty is causing a rethink. the benefit to buying in the US was a potential 25-40% saving on price, but now i fear this may be negated by potentially higher repair costs in india, if it ever comes up.

i definitely plan to buy the a/v receiver in india mainly because of the voltage consideration, plus warranty. i've so far managed to get a quote on the marantz series for near US prices.

anyone have an opinion on the KEF IQ90s?

thanks.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back